The Hobbit lambasted after preview event: http://badassdigest....ames-per-secon/

Wow. Wasn't expecting that.

Well it is more to do with the 48fps than the content but when you read something like this you start to wonder what the hell is going to happen with the plot of the film:
We also saw Gandalf investigating the rising darkness. In one scene he is at a table with Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman, talking about ancient tombs that have been opened - ancient tombs with such strong binding spells no one should have been able to get in. Then there's a scene of Gandalf investigating the open tomb, where he runs into a very silly Radagast the Brown, who has some birds under his hat (we also saw a shot of his sled being pulled by bunnies). It turns out the opened tombs belong the nine Ring Wraiths.
Sled pulled by bunnies? Tombs of the Ringwraiths? WTF???!!! PETER! You got a lot of explaining to do!

I am worried in general that in trying to make sense of everything and explaining things they have taken curious liberties with the source material. And I for one am worried about the Tombs of the Ringwraiths since it just against everything Tolkien wrote on the matter, a contrivance so bizarre I simply don't stomach it. No such things are ever mentioned in LotR or the Hobbit.

I just wish they were adapting The Hobbit in a straightforward manner without all this made-up (or from appendixes) stuff connecting it all to LOTR

I suppose in the future there will be fan edits that are exactly that

And Sauron summoning the spirits of the Nazgûl at his side once he took physical form in Middle Earth takes place nearly 1700 years before. It has nothing to do with the Hobbit.

But I hope PJ will limit his excursions to some personal fancies and completely irrelevant explanations and keeps to the original plot of the novel.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SLED BEING PULLED BY BUNNIES? NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT, SERIOUSLY??? WHAT THE FUCK???!!!

Oh I do care. Believe me, I DO CARE. I think it is pretty sick stuff PJ and the other writers have come up with. Sick I tell you.

He must have been smoking something else than pipeweed when he created that nice detail there. I wonder if the bunnies fly or are they perhaps surrounded by a rainbow halo and have rainbows trailing after them.

Also there is the possibility that the person reporting this was completely wasted and on heavy drug induced trip and didn't know what he was talking about. It would explain his grumbling about the 48fps as well.

Well let's us see how things will turn out before completely lambasting the film(s).

But yes bunny sled sounds awful and trippy in comparison to the deviations from the actual plot in LotR movies.

Maybe if the books were written in a form better-suited for adaptation he wouldn't have to put bunnies or ringwraiths or Orlando Bloom in them.

BTW, every report I've read complains about the 48FPS.

Maybe if the books were written in a form better-suited for adaptation he wouldn't have to put bunnies or ringwraiths or Orlando Bloom in them.

What? The Hobbit is PERFECTLY suited for adaptation! It's like it's are already a script, it has everything you need (with some room for your own creative tweaks)

I beg to differ. There is no scene in the book where Legolas heroically swings on spider-web like Tarzan to save Evangeline Lilly from being the lunch of a monstrous spider, with Thorin (now renamed Giimli) shouting "That pointy-eared *****!".

(also, someone should really screencap that Wrath of Khan "humour is difficult concept" subtitle...)

I'd rather have Legolas heroically swings on bunnies pulling a sled with Radagast on it, kissing Tauriel, and with Gandalf (now renamed Gandy-O) shouting: "When did Jackson the Wise abandon reason for madness?"

Why not have Legolas swing on vines with a herd of bunnies to chase the spiders, while Bilbo, on Gandalf's wagon, fights Tauriel on Radagast's wagon? She could say something like "So young, and so foolish!"

That would be mindblowing!

But seriously, I intentionally stayed away from any, and I mean any, spoilers or reports, and when I accidentally do hear something from the film, it is something like Ringwraith tombs and bunny sleds.

Why do wraiths even need tombs, what is this, Dracula?

Bunny sled reminds me of the rather silly "Father Christmas" scene in the first Narnia movie. What a sight this must be, Radagast with birds on his head sitting on a sled with bunnies.

Oh how I wish Del Toro back right now.

Looks like Jackson picked up right where he left with Return Of The King as far as design and deviations are concerned. But that didn't have fucking bunnies. What the fuck?

I always assumed that, as the LOTR trilogy progressed, Peter Jackson took more and more sole control over the movie, which resulted in a significant raise of typical PJ-isms.

Looks like The Hobbit is supporting that theory a bit ...

the TORn article said "fluting howard shore music"

There is so little of that in the original trilogy that I'm sure it must be new music!

Oh how I wish Del Toro back right now.

Looks like Jackson picked up right where he left with Return Of The King as far as design and deviations are concerned. But that didn't have fucking bunnies. What the fuck?

About you wishing Del Toro had stayed: what the fuck, man? For all we know, the "bunnies pulling the sled" was his idea!

I was about to post the same thing. Don't forget that he worked on the movie for the better part of two years. He still has screenplay credit, and the reason they were still able to get the movie off the ground extremely quickly after he left is because a huge amount had already been prepared. So I would guess that the finished product will have a lot of his ideas, although there's no knowing if bunny sleds and starfish hairdos were among them.

And Sauron summoning the spirits of the Nazgûl at his side once he took physical form in Middle Earth takes place nearly 1700 years before. It has nothing to do with the Hobbit.

But is there any thematic problem with this? They're just moving up the timeline and adding a cool horror movie bit about resurrecting corpses.

You needed to change a bunch of stuff in the LOTR books to make a viable film (series).

The Hobbit is different, it's already had a film-like narrative. They didn't need to change anything. And for all I know they didn't - they merely added other stuff.

You needed to change a bunch of stuff in the LOTR books to make a viable film (series).

The Hobbit is different, it's already had a film-like narrative. They didn't need to change anything. And for all I know they didn't - they merely added other stuff.

Obviously;y you have no idea what you are talking about.

What? The Hobbit is PERFECTLY suited for adaptation! It's like it's are already a script, it has everything you need (with some room for your own creative tweaks)

Hardly. It might be suited for a TV series, but it's waay to episodic for a straightforward movie adaptation.

Regarding the 48fps: I've not seen it, of course. But the complaints I've read so far do sound like people complaining about colour movies or stereo sound. It looks too realistic? Well, so does colour film compared to B&W. It's because 24fps film doesn't look as realistic as it "should". And not because it was a deliberate decision to limit the frame rate for an artificial look, but because of technical limitations. It looks too much like video? That's because video's one advantage is that it's had higher frame rates than film for a long time. It looks like video not because it's bad quality, but because we're used to "realistic" frame rates only from video recordings. Sounds like people complaining that CDs sound too realistic because vinyl's scratchy noises are missing.

I would say they turned some of the existing stuff into something really stupid.

Oh agreed. But they succeeded more than they failed

Obviously;y you have no idea what you are talking about.

Please explain

Hardly. It might be suited for a TV series, but it's waay to episodic for a straightforward movie adaptation.

What's wrong with an episodic film?

Not all the changes in the LotR were necessary in telling the story. If I recall, the Warg sequence on the way to Helm's Deep never happens in the book.

Any how, I prefer film adaptations to be something more than a carbon copy of the book. If I want that...I'll just read the book.

What's wrong with an episodic film?

It would drag. A lot. For a long time, the book has no real dramatic arc, except for the figurative mountain on the horizon. It's a nice string of separate chapters, but nothing cohesive until they get to Mirkwood at the earliest. Things only really start to come together once they arrive at the Lonely Mountain. The entire first half of the movie would be what people keep complaining about in the supposed ROTK endings (a sentiment I've never shared).

Also, Tolkien himself hints at tons of stuff (Gandalf's disappearance due to White Council business) which he only really delved into later on. And when he did, he wrote all that stuff down. At that point, The Hobbit *was* a precursor to the events of LOTR (much like LOTR only ever was a conclusion of a few millenia of history as laid out in The Silmarillion), and it's only appropriate to reflect that in the movie. Not to forget that Tolkien himself attempted a rewrite of the book after he'd finished LOTR (although it never amounted to anything as far as I know).

Well I read the description of the footage on the Theonering site. It looks like we are in for some really strange deviations from Tolkien's original plot, characters and intentions. Galadriel mentioning that Witch King was imprisoned somewhere at some point? Tombs of the Ringwraiths? I mean really? What it is this blasphemous trite they are inserting into this story? Is there even a hint of these things in any of the relevant writings that would justify their inclusion? Radagast looking like the king of the hippies and riding a sled pulled by rabbits? WHAT? WHY? WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD MAKE SUCH CHANGES? WHY? WHY?!!!!

"he has much lore of herb and beast, and birds are especially his friends"

I guess they went overboard with that.

Don't dismiss rabbits. They have sharp pointy teeth.

Actually that would be the cherry on top of the whole thing, the rabbits turning out to be some red eyed cousins of the Monty Python's Killer Rabbit, decapitating foes left and right.

You can say that again. There is a difference between stark raving mad hermit of the woods with bird nest under his hat and a wizard who specializes in things of natural world. Somehow I think this is one of PJs "great ideas" which again grew out of proportion.