Sequels/spin-offs over the last few years ...

homiealex

Hello all,

I was just thinking ... Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was a refreshingly (and perhaps surprisingly?) enjoyable sequel after the awful run of sequels and spin-offs the last few years. Think of how many sequel/spin-off/prequel films there have been in the last few years that have ranged from mediocre to terrible, all of which started with an original that was at least decent (most were awesome)! I thought of a few since about 2000.

* Star Wars 1: The Phantom Menace

* Jurassic Park 3

* Mission Impossible 2

* Star Wars 2: Attack of the Clones

* Star Trek 10: Nemesis

* The Matrix Reloaded

* The Matrix Revolutions

* The Ring 2

* Ice Age 2

* The Legend of Zorro

* Batman Begins (although opinions vary widely on this film)

* X-Men 3: The Last Stand

But on the other hand, there have been precious few sequels that were much better than their originals ... namely Spider-man 2 and X-Men 2: United.

If anyone thinks of any others, feel free to share! The ones I listed above are only the ones that I've seen.

God bless,

Alex

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of how many sequel/spin-off/prequel films there have been in the last few years that have ranged from mediocre to terrible

Generally speaking, sequels and spin offs have ALWAYS been plagued by the same level of mediocricy. Good to great sequels are a rarity. And this is as much true today as it was 20 or 30 years ago.

X-Men 3 was neither mediocre or terrible.

Nor was Batman Begins.

Nor was it a sequel-- I think that's what they were trying to get across with that (silly) title.

Examples?

Jaws 2. Need I go on?

Actually Jaws 2 was quite successful considering everything and really isn't that bad of a film, outside of the annoying teenagers.

It's just a tired idea of the same crap happening to the same people, in the same town years later.

Now Jaws III and IV suck.

* Star Trek 10: Nemesis

I think this film is quite good. Grand scale plot, decent villains, theme of duality and all that crap, and a terrific Goldsmith score. It's not the film I'd like to have ended the Next Generation franchise, but at least it's better than AOTC and COS.

I'm sorry, but Nemesis is probably the most exhausting ST film ever made. It goes on and on, no suspense, no humor, disappointing SFX, ...

Oh, wait - only The Motion Picture fits that description even better.

I'm sorry, but Nemesis is probably the most exhausting ST film ever made. It goes on and on, no suspense, no humor, disappointing SFX, ...  

Oh, wait - only The Motion Picture fits that description even better.

You must be kidding.

Exhausting? Quite exciting! No suspense? I thought there was plenty. No humor? Some of it was lame, but I can deal with lame. Disappointing SFX? Oh, come on. Nemesis had the best special effects I'd seen in a Trek film since Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

I concur except for the poor ending of NEMESIS. I loved the alternate scene better with the captain's chair and the safety belts.

Nemesis had the best special effects I'd seen in a Trek film since Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

The Nemesis effects during the first part of the film were fine, but the effects dominating the second half of the film seemed to me to come straight out of the Babylon 5 TV series.

On the contrary, I thought the space battle scenes in the second half were second to none.

second to none in the ST franchise or in film history?

I cannot opine about the first but i disagree completely if the latter.

I for one loved Star Trek Nemesis. Grant I too would have had liked the show to have ended a bit better but hey I won't complain to much about it. Then again I love all 10 Star Trek films...well I like Star Trek 5 for the most part, until they reach the great barrier...then after that it becomes crap.

Nemesis was decent. Better than Insurrection, at least it tried to be a movie and not a 2-part TV episode. I'll watch Nemesis just to hear Goldsmith's score, the best of the Next Gen scores.

I'll watch Nemesis just to hear Goldsmith's score, the best of the Next Gen scores.

Yeah, it's great, but why do I always hear The Force Theme in it?

I cannot get my finger around it. It's not a note-for-note copy. Perhaps it's more the feeling a certain melody line from the score evokes. I don't think it's part of the End Title sequence. Maybe someone had a similar experience with Nemesis. Or maybe it's just me.

Why do people constantly berate the Matrix "Sequels"?

Is it possible that they can't conceive of the greater story arch of the the Trilogy and the epic themes woven throughout the whole series?

And the complaints are always the same, but mostly how they don't live up to the standards of the original. But I think each of the films builds greatly upon the existing material and enhances it even further.

Oh well....I guess that's just me.

The problem with the Matrix sequels is that the character arcs were resolved at the end of the first film. And they did not really give the herioes any interesting new ones.

That is why Morpheus is sitting next to Will Smith's wife, letting here do the flying while he just looks "concerned" in the last film.

Even though Star wars was shot as an isolated film, it had charecter arcs and plot threads that could be furter extended.

The Matrix pretty much ended with Neo believing that he was The One, and the other 2 films still have him not being really sure about it.

The problem with the Matrix sequels is that the character arcs were resolved at the end of the first film. And they did not really give the herioes any interesting new ones.

Everything aspect was less interesting.

It is the only example available, isnt it?

If it was, I would not have reacted. How much quotes do you want? :devil:

Exactly, in The Matrix the point of Morphues' character was to try and make Neo see who and what he was, and guide him throygh that. Once Neo understood that in the end of that film, there was really no need for Morphues anymore (I'd rather that they had given him a heroic death in Reloaded then putting him in the passengers seat in part 3)

Why do people constantly berate the Matrix "Sequels"?

Is it possible that they can't conceive of the greater story arch of the the Trilogy and the epic themes woven throughout the whole series?

And the complaints are always the same, but mostly how they don't live up to the standards of the original.  But I think each of the films builds greatly upon the existing material and enhances it even further.

Oh well....I guess that's just me.

I could never understand the whole bashing of the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions (even though they were filmed as one big film but split up into two parts because of theater time). This is another Trilogy that I absolutely loved and I for one understood what was going on.

This is another Trilogy (Matrix) that I absolutely loved and I for one understood what was going on.

I hope to see your typed one page, double spaced synopsis on it some day. :P:devil:

I agree with Steef.

Incidentally, The Matrix was conceived as a trilogy, but Warner Bros. only wanted to commit to one film. As always, it's unclear how much got moved forward, how much was already really in place for the sequels, and how much changed, but there's a huge difference to me between The Matrix and its two-part sequel. It feels like it's one great movie, and one insanely long over-blown sequel. There's no proper trilogy arc.

- Marc, who certainly didn't expect to see Zion within the first ten minutes of Reloaded.

My favorite recent sequel was Bad Boys II. It didn't try to expand upon the story of the first film and take it in all new directions, and it didn't claim to be the 2nd film in a "previously planned trilogy". It was just an epic-action movie... action scene, comedy scene, action scene, comedy scene, etc, with THREE (!!) car chases.

It defined the loud, summer blockbuster, and I don't see it being topped any time soon.

It is the only example available, isnt it?

If it was, I would not have reacted. How much quotes do you want? :devil:

I meant if SW is the only available example of 1st movie being done more or less as an isolated movie, but a larger story was in the mind of the creator.