Dvorak for inspiration?

txcowgirljp

I have a question. (obviously ;) ) Recently i have been listening to a lot of Antonin Dvorak (1841-1904), specifically Symphony No.9 in E Minor, Op.95 "From the New World", and I just cannot help but notice distinct similarities between him and JW's work. I hear snipets of Star Wars and Jaws to be sure, and possibly even some Indiana Jones. There are parts where I literally see the Jedi fighting, the music is that similar. Plus, the famous Jaws music (dun un, dun un-thing) seems to be taken straight from one of Dvorak's pieces. 8O

Am I insane or does he get inspiration from Dvorak? I can't find anything on the net that seemed to answer the question for me.

Thanks for the help!

TxCowgirlJp

Tokyo, Japan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for similarities with STAR WARS, that's absolutely true. In fact, I think it's intentional that Williams's music to the saga alludes to Dvorak. To my knowledge, Lucas had used Dvorak on the temp track of the original film and had even considered actually using the music (before he knew of Williams, of course). Lucas wanted a classical score, and that's exactly what Williams delivered.

As for Williams stealing the beginning of the 4th movement for JAWS, that notion is absurd. It's 2 NOTES!!! All it is is a dramatic half-step introduction to Dvorak's heroic theme. It's only a coincidence that it's similar to JAWS. IMHO of course!

Sure, Williams isn't inventing his own style for films like STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES, but you have to praise him for the authenticity in the music. Williams can use existing musical styles and use them to their fullest potential, plus he can dish them out at will, meeting the emotional demands of whatever film is placed before him. That's a true gift. He's the best film scorer to ever live.

Well actually the Star Wars score resembles alot of Charles Ives work (I.E. Firebird suite)

o ya brand new user=)

Hmmm, remind me what year Charles Ives stole the Firebird suite from Igor Stravinksy's home, crossed out Stravinsky's name, and inserted his own. 8O