Le Sacre Du Printemps and Jaws

Pelzter

This is probably common knowledge to most of you on this board, but recently, I heard Igor Stravinsky's "Le Sacre Du Printemps" - and the first part of it is essentially the theme to JAWS, both in terms of the rapid string ostinato and the brass attacks.

Has Williams ever commented on this? Or could it just be a coincidence?

--Pelzter

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jaws theme, since it's so simple, is bound to pop up. There's a few bits from Creature From The Black Lagoon that can't escape the comparison (my 2 year-old son was playing nearby and said, "Here comes the shark...").

The Jaws theme, since it's so simple, is bound to pop up.

No, no , no. It's more than that. Listen to the accents. They're identical. It's no coincidence. No way in hell!

Alex

The accents in Jaws are very symmetrical and repetitious: da-da-DUM-da, da-da-DUM-da; they fall on the beat. In The Rite, however, the accents are intentionally off-kilter; sometimes they fall on the beat, at other times, off. The opening eight measures of the ostinato go like this: da-da-da-da, da-da-da-da, da-DUM-da-DUM, da-da-da-da, da-DUM-da-da, DUM-da-da-da, DUM-da-da-da, da-DUM-da-da. Stravinsky's rhythmic variations are numerous throughout.

Anthony

Oh, *that*'s the bit this is about. Well, it's just a one-note ostinato in Sacre, whereas it's two notes in Jaws. The Dvorak bit is more similar in that regard if you ask me. Anyway, Williams has done a handful of much closer clones of Sacre for Star Wars. :thumbup:

Speaking of La Sacre, does anyone know where to get the 1958 Bernstein recording of it. I have a few others, including the 1973 Bernstein, but I heard that the 1958 recording is the best there is. La Sacre is one of my favorite classical pieces, and one in which I fully appreciate its impact on modern film music.

It's "le" (French), not "la" (Italian)". ;)

And that's the only "difference".

Williams: Two notes. Stravinsky: One note/chord. Williams: Every second note syncopated. Stravinsky: Irregular syncopation.

Erm. Yes, both are primarily an ostinato...

And that's the only "difference".

Williams: Two notes. Stravinsky: One note/chord. Williams: Every second note syncopated. Stravinsky: Irregular syncopation.

Erm. Yes, both are primarily an ostinato...

You might as well say that they couldn't be similar because they were recorded in a different hall. Sigh, it's the whole idea of the strings ostinato combined with the identical brass punctuations that makes these two sound awfully similar. Jeez, Marian, I thought you had good ears.

Alex