The Official 1977 Star Wars On Disc 2 Thread.

A24

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, alright then! The image quality is abominable! I knew it wasn't anamorphic and that people were complaining before the release but this is totally onacceptable. There's grain the size of marbles! And I'm watching on a regular TV! Imaging marbles being blown up on a plasma or projection screen and you know why I feel lucassed. This is a crude release! Now I'm forced to watch the altered versions forever! Noooooooooooooooooooo

Alex

Thanks Alex for this thread. What I'm interested in, is whether the 'ultimate' release on DISC 1 still has the soundtrack swapped in the rear channels?

If this has been corrected, it may be a reason to purchase the original release with it. I'm not gonna pay money for a marbled original release which is bad enough, plus another screw-up on the remastered version.

Same reason Lucas bashers feel the need to ruin every Star Wars thread here.

K.M.

And what reason is that, and how do you define "ruining"? If you mean criticising Lucas, I don't see anything wrong with that. He does what he does, makes it available to the public, and therefore lets the public decide whether they like it or not.

Well you all knew this DVD transfer would suck in advance but bought it anyways,if your posting in this thread.Suckers...

Eehhmm... surely this thread is also for people who haven't yet decided whether to buy it, and will or won't based on the reactions of those who have?

Suckers...

Yes, it's true. I'm a sucker for I simply couldn't believe Lucas would ever go that low. By giving us the original version in this condition Lucas is sending a clear message which says, "f*ck you"! So now I'm trying to warn people not to repeat my mistake. It's the least I can do. Really, if you thought you knew Lucas and his ways, think again!

Alex

Lucas has repeated himself many times over the years that he would never spend the vast ammounts of money to restore the thearatical editions because he felt that they were incomplete and he was displeased with the way how they came out because of money restraints. Yes I know you can say that he said they'd never be on home video again but that's beside the point (even then I think it was the marketing people at Lucasfilm who pressured Lucas into this release).

You Lucas bashers / haters damn well knew that these videos were not going to be given a pristine suped up treatement like the Special Editions. I for one don't care if they're not given a suped up pristine transfer and in anamorphic widescreen. I'm buying it for completist sake, that's all. Why you people who are bitching about it even bothered buying the set is beyond me...

Hmm I think I know why probably becauase it gives you something further to bitch about and to trash Lucas even more. :roll:

Many of the anti-Lucas people really love this stuff; they just refuse to acknowledge it. What else can explain the amount of time, effort, and thought that goes into all the Star Wars bashing around here. "Because we care," they say. Were it not for the evil George Lucas, they wouldn't have the beloved originals to start with.

Ted

Lucas has repeated himself many times over the years that he would never spend the vast ammounts of money to restore the thearatical editions because he felt that they were incomplete and he was displeased with the way how they came out because of money restraints.  Yes I know you can say that he said they'd never be on home video again but that's beside the point (even then I think it was the marketing people at Lucasfilm who pressured Lucas into this release).

WE made Lucas rich. WE made him a billionaire. And, just for his own selfish reasons, he won't give his pocket-liners what they want, and what 99.9% of other far-less-rich filmmakers would do. That's alright with you, is it?

You Lucas bashers / haters damn well knew that these videos were not going to be given a pristine suped up treatement like the Special Editions.  I for one don't care if they're not given a suped up pristine transfer and in anamorphic widescreen.  I'm buying it for completist sake, that's all.  Why you people who are bitching about it even bothered buying the set is beyond me...

Many of us didn't, for obvious reasons.

Hmm I think I know why probably becauase it gives you something further to bitch about and to trash Lucas even more.  :roll:

Believe it or not, I'd rather think and talk about films and filmmakers I like (or am at least interested in). Unfortunately, Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are films I am very interested in.

Many of the anti-Lucas people really love this stuff; they just refuse to acknowledge it. What else can explain the amount of time, effort, and thought that goes into all the Star Wars bashing around here. "Because we care," they say. Were it not for the evil George Lucas, they wouldn't have the beloved originals to start with.

Fair point, but were it not for us, Lucas would still be making low-budget, obscure science fiction and slapstick teen comedies.

They are his movies, he has the right to do with them as he pleases. If he want to stick to the Special Editions (since he rather would anyways and that's fine by me) that is his choice. Let the rest of the world be damned for what they think (of course he doesn't give a shit what others think and frankly I don't blame him). I'm not going to argue any further about this, I've made my point.

Suckers...

Yes, it's true. I'm a sucker for I simply couldn't believe Lucas would ever go that low. By giving us the original version in this condition Lucas is sending a clear message which says, "f*ck you"! So now I'm trying to warn people not to repeat my mistake. It's the least I can do. Really, if you thought you knew Lucas and his ways, think again!

Alex

but Alex,you just had to read the online reviews of hundreds of geek sites to know ehat it looks like!

K.M.

They are his movies, he has the right to do with them as he pleases.

So he could - for the sake of discussion - cut out Leia, because he didn't like the character, and you'd respsect that as his right, and not complain?

Let the rest of the world be damned for what they think (of course he doesn't give a shit what others think and frankly I don't blame him).

If that's the case, Mr Lucas is an idiot. Anyone who wants their film to be a success needs to think about what people want - that being what people will pay to see. Are you trying to tell me that he made all his movies out of a love and passion for the art of filmmaking, with "what people think of them" and "what will people pay $$$$ to see" never crossing his mind?

I see both sides of the argument. But in the end, I fault Lucas and Lucasfilm for not giving a good, complete product (they are only consisent with American business, sadly). I don't see what's so hard about making two pristine versions of each films available - his altered cuts, and the original cuts. What is so hard about that, George? Robthehand has a good point. If he cared enough about the fans that put him in his throne, he would fork over the money to make these films available. Instead they want to milk every little thing from the suckers who keep buying the ten different versions out there.

Ted

Yep. As long as people buy these (and loads of people have), Lucas will continue to put this level of effort into his releases.

I hear the Star Wars films aren't going to be released in Hi-Def next year, DVD only, while Star Trek (series and movies), Spartacus, The Adventures of Robin Hood, North by Northwest, and many more are. So much for this company that is supposed to "push the boundaries in home entertainment". Whatever you think of his films, you cannot deny that (up until now), Lucas' DVDs have been of the highest quality - pristine transfers, detailed extra features (TPM has arguably the best making-of documentary ever produced). It seems a shame to throw that sort of a reputation away over selfish laziness.

The difference is that we're film fans, not Lucas disciples. We care, they follow. We're critical, they don't ask questions.

They are his movies, he has the right to do with them as he pleases.

Ah, the typical T-shirt text of a ordinary follower. Sure, we realize that Lucas made the film (duh!) but that doesn't mean we blindly have to accept his ever-changing capriciousness. Good images that are burned in our minds are being erased from history. Of course, you do not care, it's not in your nature.

Ah well, I guess in a few years Lucas will "accidentally" find a pristine print for the Blu-ray releases.

Alex

I bought all three of these releases at Target (the least expensive outlet I could find), but dreading profound disappointment, I haven't removed the shrinkwrap and am still contemplating returning them to the store.

What the reactionaries in this thread fail to grasp is that the "Lucas-bashers" really, really want a respectable copy of the films they loved when they saw them in the theatre -- as they saw them in the theatre. That's all I want. Lucas can tinker and damage his own legacy to his heart's content. All I -- and all thousands just like me -- desire is a nice, clean transfer. I don't even want bonus features.

If it can be done for John Ford movies, if it can be done for The Adventures of Robin Hood, then it can be done for a film made in 1977. There had to be a scrubbed-up master in order to do the special editions. Please, for the love of God, George, do the right thing. It's guys like me who put you where you are now. Don't make us solicit our friends for bootlegs.

Well, alright then! The image quality is abominable! I knew it wasn't anamorphic and that people were complaining before the release but this is totally onacceptable. There's grain the size of marbles! And I'm watching on a regular TV! Imaging marbles being blown up on a plasma or projection screen and you know why I feel lucassed. This is a crude release! Now I'm forced to watch the altered versions forever! Noooooooooooooooooooo

Is it as good as the THX LDs from the 90s? I have those and am still satisfied with those, but also tired of flipping sides 4-5 times throughout the movie. I've ordered the DVDs from amazon and am still awaiting for them to arrive.

I feel if these DVDs don't sell then it is all the more reason for Lucas not to restore the original versions. "I released them, and nobody bought them!" That was the deciding factor for me, along with the fact that I just really want DVDs of the theatricals. I didn't buy the 2004 and 2005 sets and am not buying next years 30th anniversary set, so I don't feel (too) ripped off. I also don't have a huge widescreen TV so I'm just expecting a decent laserdisc quality picture.

Jeff

They are his movies, he has the right to do with them as he pleases.  If he want to stick to the Special Editions (since he rather would anyways and that's fine by me) that is his choice.

I agree wholeheartedly, but at least give us a good release of the originals as well dammit ! Many lesser movies can do it, why not something Star Wars magnitude?

I feel if these DVDs don't sell then it is all the more reason for Lucas not to restore the original versions.  "I released them, and nobody bought them!"

Not if the world makes known the reason why.

I want a Criterion release of the OT....

Amen. Coinsidering the retail price for each of the three movies is $29.99, they could have been Criterion releases. But that would have implied quality.

For the record, the last time I purchased Star Wars in any form -- come to think of it, the only time -- was when the original trilogy was released on VHS. I have no interest in the special editions, and less than no interest in the prequels.

I feel if these DVDs don't sell then it is all the more reason for Lucas not to restore the original versions.  "I released them, and nobody bought them!"

Not if the world makes known the reason why.

Wrong, Alex. He doesn't listen to what fans or critics say. The only way to reach Lucas is through your wallet.

Can anyone tell me if the theatrical DVDs look as good as the 90s THX LDs? Do they look any better?

They are his movies, he has the right to do with them as he pleases. If he want to stick to the Special Editions (since he rather would anyways and that's fine by me) that is his choice.

I have no problem with any filmmaker recutting or reworking their films but not to completely disregard the original versions. It's a slap in the face to everyone who worked on that film to erase their achievements. That "incomplete" movie was quite revolutionary and advanced the field of special effects and changed the movie business. It should be restored, preserved and co-exist along with any subsequent versions of the film.

Jeff

I have no problem with any filmmaker recutting or reworking their films but not to completely disregard the original versions.  It's a slap in the face to everyone who worked on that film and to erase their achievements.  That "incomplete" movie was quite revolutionary and advanced the field of special effects and changed the movie business.  It should be restored, preserved and co-exist along with any subsequent versions of the film.

I agree. It's particularly distressing when aging filmmakers return to the phenomenal movies of their prime and decide to second-guess them. Why tamper with The Exorcist? Superman? Apocalypse Now? E.T.? In George's case, it's because he's dried up and probably insane, like Howard Hughes or Charles Foster Kane. Is there a facility on Skywalker Ranch, do you think, where he stores his own urine in milk bottles?

I also feel for the pioneering artists and technicians who made Star Wars what it was. There's probably no love lost between Lucas and John Dykstra, but Dykstra's work earned him an Oscar and set the standard for all special effects films that followed. Now, what? the images are run through a computer and all that ingenuity and craftsmanship are negated.

I don't know about you, but I find it a heck of a lot more impressive when someone is able to make something great out of almost nothing, as opposed to making something ordinary out of what was previously great. The best art is seldom made by someone with unlimited means.

I've said many times that it was a slap in the face to Dykstra and those who's work garnered awards and paved the way for special effects technology to advance and set the bar at the time of the release.

Spielberg gave us both versions of E.T. for those of us not offended by guys holding guns and didn't want to see hand held radios instead or some ridiculous CGI E.T. Why can't Lucas do the same?

Classic Media is giving us the original Japanese versions of 7 Godzilla films and also including the US dubbed versions in the set, all anamorphic where possible. Why not Lucas?

I liked Mark's reviews on ESB and RotJ better...

- Marc, who feels Star Wars discussion is stuck on an eternal loop...

Here is what I had written in a thread several years ago about Star Wars:

I've got over 600+ Cds so I usually try to rotate thru my collection when I listen. That usually means it's been awhile since I've listened to a particular score.

With the lack of quality of the prequels and Lucas' constant tampering of the original trilogy my love for Star Wars has decreased quite considerably.

This morning I was hunting for CD to listen to on my way into work and I pulled out Star Wars (A New Hope for all of you heathens ). It's been quite some time since I've listened to SW. I put in Disc 2 of the Special Edition and went to The Battle Of Yavin.

I will say that it immediatly brought back childhood memories of 1977-78 when I heard Williams' music for the first time. I agree that Empire is the best score of the original trilogy, but there's just something about SW that brings a smile to my face and stirs those found memories of yesterday.

As I listened to Williams' music build to the finale as Luke makes his final run down the Death Star Trench I must admit I got goosebumps and a little emotional as I drove to work this morning.

We Lived in Germany at the time, I was 10 (My Dad was in the Military), and the only music available was Meco's version, none of the stores on Base or off base had the soundtrack. That particular summer I had broken my arm so I was stuck in the house most of the time.

One of the families stationed there with us knew how much I liked Star Wars so they made me a copy of Williams score to cheer me up. After listening to Meco for a year I couldn't wait to play the tape. I was literally blow away by the scope and sound of Williams music. I don't know how many 10 year old kids can be that moved by a film score. It would be another year and a half before I was finally able to see Star Wars, but that cassette was played over and over and over until it finally broke.

As I read the comics and the Novel I would blast the score on my tape recorder, when I played with my Star Wars figures the music would accompany me.

It reminds me of a much simpler time, the joy it brought me and my friends, it was the good guys against the evil Empire. It had a beautiful Princess, a rogue scoundrel, the naive hero, robots, the noble warrior who gives his life, The Death Star, a fantastic dogfight, The Cantina sequence, The opening shot of the Star Destroyer I could go on and on....

Williams music was grand and romantic. When I saw it accompanied with the visuals it took the score to another level.

It was special, something I haven't felt about a film in a long time.

This should read the Official 1981 Star Wars

if the scroll says a New Hope which I what I've heard it says.

finally someone answered the question then, thanks Alex.

Joe, confused why Alex would buy this, knowing that while we often disagree, I have always considered

Alex to be a very smart individ...

Isn't it true that the small mistakes in the films (visible matte lines, boxes around vehicles, ect.) are being corrected for these new DVD's?