Favorite Williams-Collaborating Soloist(s)

It seems like a growing trend is to have a famous solo artist be included in a top-notch Williams score--whether they be an instrumental soloist or vocal soloist (or a group of them).

Personally, I'd have to rank them in this order:

1. The Chieftains (Far and Away was just too Irish-ly awesome!)

2. Lara Fabian/Barbara Bonney (A.I.--WOW...I'm not big into female vocals, but they sound so angelic after a while)

3. Mark O'Connor (The Patriot--WOW again--makes me feel like I'm in the south somewhere, even though there's a sound reminiscent to "Ashoken Farewell" to it)

4. Yo Yo Ma (Seven Years and the the Cello Concerto CD that came out this year--I don't know if I really like Ma himself or just the music that accompanies his performances)

5. Tim Morrison (JFK, and a handful of Olympic works--nice for a trumpet solo)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard that much of Schindler's. From what I've heard of the main theme (it's on Sony's JW Greatest Hits and the Varese "Great Composers" CDs), it hasn't impressed me much. If it sounds anything like SPR or 7YIT, then I'm up fer it!

oh i could listen to it all day!!!!!!

those barely audible slides between the most perfect notes just make it beautiful!

I must admit it. Even my extreme bias towards saying Yo-Yo doesn't keep me from putting Pearlman and Schindler's up top. With a hefty amount of admiration that makes Yo-Yo second.

But remember that the Williams/Perlman collaboration is not limited to the score from Schindler's List. They have recorded two more albums, at least, together. Cinema Serenade(1996) and Cinema Serenade 2(1999).

They may not be world-renowned, but Steve Erdody (cello), John Ellis (oboe), JoAnn Turovsky (harp), and Randy Kerber (piano) each made his/her presence deeply felt in JW's 1999 classic Angela's Ashes.

Didn't Kerber played the celesta on Harry Potter?

I think that he might also be responsable for the beautiful performance on the intro for "Welcome to Jurassic Park"

Hector - who loved Stefancos review of the London film music concert.

Well, I really can't narrow it down to one and it be a final judgement. If I had to, I would pick Itzhak Perlman cause he's just freakin' awesome.

I loved Barbara Bonney's work as well as Randy Kerber's work -- even Ann Hobson-Pilot (harp) is awesome. Of course, Tim Morrison is awesome too.

But, it would be a very close tie with Itzhak and Yo-Yo.

Dan - whose met them both and found Itzhak tempermental

:) "Dawn Chorus" from The Beyondness Of Things (Barry)

He should!

Oh, and I forgot to acknowledge Christopher Parkening's solos on Stepmom. They really are beautiful. I love that score.

Dan - detesting Hector's favorite cue from that score

:( "Give Me A Smile" from "The Beyondness Of Things" (Barry)

I love the movie. It's very well made and a very touching story. The score is beautiful. I think it's Johnny's most beautiful subdued score.

Dan - a fan of Stepmom

:( "Kissably Close" from "The Beyondness Of Things" (Barry)

Hmmm...interesting. A sense a distrubance in you....

Dan - once again, thanking Harry for enlightenment on the ellipse

:( "Kissably Close" from "The Beyondness Of Things" (Barry)

Sorry for the horrendously off-topic post that follows.

Shall we test Potter? :music: Here are some random questions: (Note: go by pretty strict grammar rules; a couple are not what we say in typical speach)

Questions 1-10: Which is correct? A? B? Neither? Both?

1. (Checking subject-verb agreement)

A. The room, and everything in it, was sacked by the robbers.

B. The room, and everything in it, were sacked by the robbers.

2. (Comma use)

A. I have CDs of Star Wars, ET, and Indiana Jones.

B. I have CDs of Star Wars, ET and Indiana Jones.

3. (Plural possessive)

A. That is John Williams' signature.

B. That is John Williams's signature.

4. (Capitalization)

A. I help my Dad shop for Christmas Gifts for my family.

B. I help my dad shop for Christmas Gifts for my family.

5. (Capitalization)

A. I help Dad shop for Christmas Gifts for my family.

B. I help dad shop for Christmas Gifts for my family.

6. (Verb agreement)

A. I am one of the few cellists who plays in the orchestra.

B. I am one of the few cellists who play in the orchestra.

7. (Verb agreement)

A. Either Joe or his classmates is going to play a practical joke.

A. Either Joe or his classmates are going to play a practical joke.

8. (Pronoun)

A. Whom are you going to ask to the prom?

B. Who are you going to ask to the prom?

9. (Pronoun)

A. I jump higher than him.

B. I jump higher than he.

(Assuming I can jump 12" into the air and he can jump 6" into the air)

10. (Punctuation)

A. The Hitchhiker's Trilogy consists of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restraunt at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe, and Everything, So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish, Mostly Harmless, and perhaps the unfinished The Salmon of Doubt (which is currently a Dirk Gently novel, but may have morphed into the sixth Hitchhiker book had Adams not died last May.)

B. The Hitchhiker's Trilogy consists of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restraunt at the End of the Universe; Life, the Universe, and Everything; So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish; Mostly Harmless; and perhaps the unfinished The Salmon of Doubt (which is currently a Dirk Gently novel, but may have morphed into the sixth Hitchhiker book had Adams not died last May.)

There's no need to post how you did.

I'll post answers tommorrow. ;)

That's exactly what I meant, Harry, "ellipsis". And, Evan -- hilarious!

Althought I did notice that you misspelled "Restaurant".

Dan - who is good at spelling and grammer. (he he he he he)

3. (Plural possessive)

A. That is John Williams' signature.

B. That is John Williams's signature.

Be careful with this one. As far as I have been informed by more than one teacher in high school and college, the rule varies with the author. Typically, one uses only " s' " when the word ending in an 's' sounds like a 'z'. When it doesn't the rule says to use " 's ". Now, this is where the author's preference comes in, so I am told. I've learned this rule isn't exactly one of those formal grammar rules, but a guideline instead. So, in the end, one should probably follow the guideline and use " s' " for "Williamzzzz", but then again, it's up to you. :)

~Harry, done with that

That's true. I just read an article in Entertainment Weekly where they refer to Tom Hanks' Oscars as "Hanks's golden duo". And the same goes for the commas. I've seen both: "ET, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars" (which is the way I do it) and then I've also seen it as "ET, Indiana Jones and Star Wars". I don't understand.....

Dan - always perplexed by that

I;m horrible at spelling.

The s's or s' thing varies with the author, but both are grammatically correct nowadays.

I'll put the answers up now since you seem to be through it:

1. A (according to my English teacher)

2. Either (the comma before the last element in a list is optional)

3. Either (see above)

4. B (it just is... typically if use use 'my ~', it's not capitalized...)

5. A (...but if you use the word as you would a name, it is)

6. B ("who" = "cellists", so the verb must be plural)

7. The second A (for a compound subject the one closest to the verb determines the plurality)

8. A (you are the subject, and the person you're asking is the object of the verb ask; who is a subject pronoun, whom is an object pronoun)

9. B (ouch... tough one to get, and one that even I almost never follow. The theory goes that you're really saying "I jump higher than he does", and just dropping the "does" part. The sentence "I jump higher than him" technically means that if he's 5' 6", you can jump 6".)

10. B (I think; typically if you have a list that has elements with commas, you must separate the elements with semicolons. I don't know if the fact that each element is separatly deliniated by underlining changes this)

Yeah. :)

-Evan, who had the title of Grammar Nazi long before Harry... :)

(Yes, I know I violate many rules myself, particularily with quotations and punctuation. For me, when grammar conflicts with logic, grammar typically loses. Which is also why I don't like exceptions. Hence the fact that I use "~s's" instead of "~s' " for plural possessives with nouns that end in s, and also ass the comma before the "and" or "or" in a list.)

My favorite is Tim Morrison for the amazing trumpet work in BOTFOJ, JFK and the fanfares.

:( Clarinet Concerto (Williams)

Most notably, of coure, "Summon the Heroes", which, I think, is one of Johnny's best!

Dan - wishing he could see the Boston Pops with Johnny at the helm one day

Well, aside from making fun of your grammar, Morn, I'll agree. 92.468% of the stuff Johnny does is excellent.

Dan - who owns a lot of the other 7.532% of Johnny's output yet still defends it.

I would like to recomend the, to me, the best collaboration of Williams and a famous soloist: Quiet City by Aaron Copland from the Album Music for stage and screen. Tim Morrison and Williams never sounded better. Do not forget to Laurence Thorstenberg (English Horn).

And also Gershwim Fantasy with Joshua Bell. A fantastic CD. Very, very good if you love the music of George Gershwin.

ACME

I would love a recording of the Trumpet Concerto

with Tim Morrison as solist and John Williams conducting the LSO

I must admit it. Even my extreme bias towards saying Yo-Yo doesn't keep me from putting Pearlman and Schindler's up top. With a hefty amount of admiration that makes Yo-Yo second.

Evan, what do you think of the Yo-Yo Ma plays The Music Of John Williams CD?

Bought it London a few weeks back, I think it's great, love that Cello Concerto, and the Elegy, and Heartwood.

Stefancos- who also likes that cello slapping in the Rosewood cue.