"New" Tolkien novel to be published

Mr. Breathmask

According to The Associated Press, Christopher Tolkien has finished editing his father's unfinished work, The Children of Hurin.

Excerpts of the story have been published before, but this will be the first time it's published - as Chris Tolkien puts it - "as an independent work, between its own covers."

The book is set to be published in the spring of 2007.

Full story here.

Tolkien fans around the world rejoice!

- Marc

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Tolkien, so it will be rather long I expect.

Even the less then detailed summary of the story in The Silmarillion was one of the largest chapters in that book I think.

Manuel should get this, it has a dragon. :D

Tolkien wrote it. The Children of Hurin is one of many First Age stories Tolkien spent his life working on, with many changes over the years. Christopher Tolkien just puts them together as best he can to make a cohesive, consitent story.

John- getting more exicited as the enormity of this starts to sink in

I guess Christopher might have had to fill in some blanks though. Or he just found tons of notes and put them all together, but then he probably either altered some bits or the full story is very much a patchwork... like UT and the HoME series, but this announcement makes it sound like a more cohesive novel.

Tolkien was actually heavily influenced in the tale of Túrin Turambar by the Finnish Kalevala myth of Kullervo. The plot is very similar Kullervo first marrying his sister without knowing her (as they were separated as children), his sister finding out that they are siblings and killing herself and Kullervo taking his own life by falling on his own sword. Kullervo even speaks to his sword in the poem and the sword answers to him much in the same way as Turambar speaks to his sword.

And Die Walküre, but apparently Wagner took that from Kullervo as well (I didn't know it was in there).

Anyway, Tolkien's claim that "both Rings are round, and that's all they have in common" is wrong on many levels. 8O

• 4 months later...

Is there a release date on this yet?

Edit: Answering my own question: April 17, 2007

I am flying to La Palma that day. I hope I can stop at the bookstore first.

Is there a release date on this yet?

Edit: Answering my own question: April 17, 2007

I am flying to La Palma that day. I hope I can stop at the bookstore first.

Canary Island?

Have a nice time! :rolleyes:

Er.. dont you mean Isla Nublar?? :P

LaPalma.jpg

People don't work on the Canary Islands, they just engage in hedonistic debouchery!

Only tourists do.

On some foreign travel agencies they were shown as a 'sex paradise'...

With the ammount of great avian endemisms they have there! :happybday:

Full story here.

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

spacer.gifspacer.gif

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifap_err_head_404.gifap_err_icon.gif The page you've requested does not exist at this address. Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination, try visiting the AP home page or look through a list of AP's online services.

The Link you provided doesn't work. It come up 404 Error.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Looks rather like the "Sons of Frank Herbert" syndrome to me.

Nope. You obviously never read The Silmarillion.

Just over 2 weeks until the release! :(

0618894640.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V43060813_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, poo. My copy was supposed to ship April 17, now it's been delayed until May 20. If it comes any later I might not be able to finish it before the new Potter book comes out. Anyone else having similar delays?

Well, it looks like the delay is either just for the Deluxe Edition or some Amazon snafu. I went to Hastings and found the regular edition for only $18 (almost $30 cheaper than what I was paying for the Deluxe Edition), so I went ahead and got it and cancelled my Amazon order. It still has the map and Alan Lee drawings, and I must say flipping through it that Mr. Lee has nailed it again. There is a wonderful illustration of Gondolin on the back cover. It's also shorter than I expected, only 259 pages not counting the usual appendicies, and that's with illustrations and a rather large font.

Oh, and I finally went ahead and pre-ordered that new Harry Potter thingy while I was there. :wave:

Looks rather like the "Sons of Frank Herbert" syndrome to me.

God, how I hate those prequel and sequel books. And Brian Herbert just can't stop writing them. They truly are a huge smoking pile of shit, even more so when compared to wonderful books written by the Frank Herbert