Any violin players?

Rienzi0711

Or any stringed instrument, for that matter. I know that older instruments are supposed to have better sound than those newly-made. My question is, how many years does it take for there to be a noticable difference in a violin's sound quality?

fsb

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two hundred and fifty years.

No seriously, have you seen The Red Violin?, you can learn all you need to know from it.

I play viola... although I've recently bought a harp...does that count? lol

as far as age...I think that it's simply that anything with age is better. Except people (You know that's societies view on it.)

As far as instruments, the reason why strads and such are so great is because of the wood quality... It's interesting ebcause you're playing with an instrument that is in essence a history of itself. Wood contains a history of the tree and of the area it grew in. If the area had droughts and such, then the wood wouldn't be as great...

In the same token, if the trees were healthy, nourished, and didn't have any strife, the wood grain can be superb.

Also, wood age can help in other aspects. There is wood that has been found at the bottom of the great lakes... logs that had follen off of barges in the 1800's that the wood became water logged and sank. Then remained there untouched for over a hundred years. These trees are already hundreds of years old... this wood is amazing...I still havn't heard of an instrument being made from it but I've heard that it is quite possibly the best wood in existance.

It's all about the wood really. If its made from wood that doesn't hold the sound well, it doesn't matter how well strung or old the instrument is.

At least, this is myunderstanding of how it works.

Me = Violin Player

It depends on the condition of the old violin. A badly kept old violin, will be just that, bad.

But if it's good condition, then it'll sound better and better with age, because as the wood and varnish age they become more resonant, and a 50 year old violin will sound better than a 2 year old violin, and by the same token, a Stradivari 300+ year old violin will sound better than both the 50 and 2 year old.

I actually have a 14 year old violin (one I got brand new back when I was doing it in middle school orchestras), and my father has a violin that's a relic of his grandfather's 1900's. There is a distinct difference in sound quality.

Now that doesn't mean the violin has to be ancient to sound good. You can also get violins that are brand new but use aged wood. It's not quite the same as a fully constructed violin that's been kept well and aged, but the difference isn't as big.

I play viola...

There is now medication available over the counter from your local pharmicist for this....

How dare you insult the viola. The greatest instrument of all time! :)

Thank you. We are very interesting lol...

I found most of the guy viola players are gay too... just calls em likes I sees em

I guess I can see how the age would change the sound. I'd like to experience that myself though...I'm pretty good at picking up the sound difference.

Im a cello player and. i play on a Stohr which 20 years old and a great instrument. before purchasing it i was looking for a musch more older cello. So i went to a shop called William Gengakki Violins in atlanta. They have got a great selection of instruments. and a ton of cello. so i sat down and played every single one, some very cheap and some very, VERY EXPENSIVE. I Played some very old cellos that had popular names but just played terrible for me then i found mine which wasnt all that expensive compared to rest. So age does not matter.

Sorry it took a while to get back. Wow. Of course it makes sense that the age of the wood is what counts, and not necessarily the instrument. And that the instrument should be kept in good condition.

I've had my current violin for almost eight years, though I don't know how old it is. It's certainly not that old, I'm sure.

To the first response: No, I haven't seen The Red Violin, but I was reading about it (Wikipedia, haha) and it sounds interesting. Actually, there are way too many movies/shows/books that I haven't seen/read that I would like to see/read.

Thanks

fsb

I play viola...

There is now medication available over the counter from your local pharmicist for this....

How dare you insult the viola. The greatest instrument of all time! ;)

Indeed - it is better than all leading brands of firelighters.....