Minority Report OST

Damo

What do you think of Minority Report OST?  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• Very Good
    • It's okay.
    • Not as good as I thought i was.
    • Other thoughts?

That's what I meant as well, so I guess we're agreeing on this. :(

lol... Yes :-p

Anyone else notice that "Psychic Truth and Finale" is on the album twice? the same recording too... You can tell by the stage noise in the opening... it's in the track "Minority Report."

Grr... bothers me when he does that... Jurassic Park was like that too lol

So could you please answer these questions? I would be very thankful. And support the answers with the examples from the film, which lead you to your conclusions. Maybe they could help me appreciate this film even more.

I'd have to watch the film again... But if you'd like, I can do that :-p

Did anyone notice Shmi's theme in track 14, 'Sean' by Agatha. around 0:35 ? lol

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree, Ender. A shorter album would make for much more enjoyable listening experience. There is enough good material for a nice 40 minutes album.

I think The Greenhouse Effect works well in the album as a midway breather cue - seperating the listening experience so that when we re-enter with Eye-Dentiscan our attention is drawn back. Plus, it's a pretty decent and interesting cue on its own, which develops motifs and ideas that are continued on later throughout the score.

Anyway, I love the score for Minority Report hugely - and I love the film as well. The brilliance of both compliment eachother beautifully. I think the score has a bit of everything - the post modern, innovative ideas; the exciting amazingly crafted action cues; the memorable thematic material; the heart warming family theme, and just the overal feel of the score is so moody and dark and just suits the film so well. I love the mystery hermann-esque finale cue as well.

The orchestration on the score is brilliant as well. Such a clever score. In fact, it was one of the scores that got me hooked on Williams. :(

I put together an anti-$cientology propaganda video for youtube (I know -- ironic -- it's a Cruise film) underscored by the aptly titled "Psychic Truth & Finale" but I couldn't submit due to obvious copyright infringements.

I'd love to see that, could you send me a file?

My vids on youtube have similar themes, and use John's music.

Have you considered just submitting it anyway and seeing what happens??

My favorite Minority piece is Everybody Runs, I love the change at 1:50!

Here is the video via megaupload.

All I did was use the basic "Windows Movie Maker" program -- and for some reason it just wouldn't spell $cientology correctly at the beginning (kept dropping the 'y'). Another reason I decided not to submit it!

I think it's a terrific score in the film and pretty darn good on the album- but, as the all-knowing Ender said, the album is too long.

I think that the main theme is a pretty fantastic one. Just like Anderton, it's always running. I love the Spyders, I love the big build up at the end, during Burgess' and Anderton's conversation before the finale, love all the running throughout, the highway cue. And, I don't care what people say, I think 'Anderton's Great Escape' is a kick-ass action cue, the best of JW's modern ouvre (I'm talking about all the modern JW Lost World type action cues). And in the film, it is just sublime, it seems to me like JW had an insane amount of fun writing that cue.

I do agree, Ender. A shorter album would make for much more enjoyable listening experience. There is enough good material for a nice 40 minutes album.

WRONG! Even though I don't like this score the more material to choose from the better,in ANY c.d.Short of a double c.d. they should all be 78 minutes long.Not everyone likes the SAME 40 minutes of music from a score and chances of a great unreleased cue occuring are doubled.What Williams THINKS are the best cues from his own scores always differ from what I think.

Apparently some people still can't make custom itunes playlists.

k.M.Who knows he's 100% right

WRONG! Even though I don't like this score the  more material to choose from the better,in ANY c.d.Short of a double c.d. they should all be 78 minutes long.Not everyone likes the SAME 40 minutes of music from a score and chances of a great unreleased cue occuring are doubled.What Williams THINKS are the best cues from his own scores always differ from what I think.

Apparently some people still can't make custom itunes playlists.

k.M.Who knows he's 100% right

Well, I didn't mean that the release was wrong, and I don't think Merkel did either. What I mean is that there is too much music in the album - not that any head of department should responsible for the trimming. We fans can be decent judges, too.

-Ross, who has several albums edited the way they should be, thanks precisely to iTunes playlists.

K.M right. The more music there is the better it is.

Ah, but "more" is not always "better". An album is like a story, too much meandering might hurt it. Of course, this could be a difficult concept for some of you to grasp.

Alex

K.M right. The more music there is the better it is.

Ah, but "more" is not always "better". An album is like a story, too much meandering might hurt it. Of course, this could be a difficult concept for some of you to grasp.

Alex

Yes,but you seem to take the C.D. album sequenced by Williams or whatever editor was working on it as a end to itself ,which is not what it should be nowadays.If you want to only play your music with the original c.d. in your 10000$ sound system fine.most of us make custom playlists.

of course,you didn't even read my post for my logic as to why more music IS better,which shouln't be too hard to grasp.

K.M.

Here is the video via megaupload. link removed by moderator

All I did was use the basic "Windows Movie Maker" program -- and for some reason it just wouldn't spell $cientology correctly at the beginning (kept dropping the 'y'). Another reason I decided not to submit it!

This is very well scored... it works perfectly. Great work.

I've tried watching Minority Report a few times and I usually lose it around the time where (highlight) Anderton discovers the guy who took his son.

The score is I'm sure very appropriate, but outside of Sean's material, some of the action material and how JW uses the synth female voices, it doesn't resonate very well for me. And talking of custom playlists, MR is one of the scores I recently removed some of the weaker cues from and arranged into a good listening order.

And talking of custom playlists, MR is one of the scores I recently removed some of the weaker cues from and arranged into a good listening order.

Of course, this board is the quintessential place for supergeeks. :P

of course it is.

K.M. who has no use for williams pre-arranged,out of sequence album track order

Well, buster, I have no use for fan made compilations or track orders. I have no use for MP3 or CD-Rs either.

I'd rather have more music and let myself decide what cues I want to listen to.

I suppose manipulating the track order gives some people a sence of creativity. Good for them, I say.

And, I don't care what people say, I think 'Anderton's Great Escape' is a kick-ass action cue, the best of JW's modern ouvre (I'm talking about all the modern JW Lost World type action cues). And in the film, it is just sublime, it seems to me like JW had an insane amount of fun writing that cue.

I think that this whole sequence sticks like a sore thumb in the picture, like it's from another movie. It's just too slapstick for this dark detective story and this sudden change of tone doesn't work. But yes, the cue is exciting, if somewhat uninspired.

Karol

I suppose manipulating the track order gives some people a sence of creativity. Good for them, I say.

I have better things to do than rearranging all my CDs that were already arranged by professionals.

Complete and chronological scores work perfectly for me, but when edits and segues have been made on the album, and thus require awquard edits, I'll always take the original album.

If it's just a case of re-ordering the tracks, or very simple editing (as with the 007 scores), then I'll do it.

Anyone that post here several times a day has the time to re-arrange their Williams cd.'s track orders.

K.M.

Then I wouldn't be able to post because I would be spending my time working on CDs.

I have better things to do than rearranging all my CDs that were already arranged by professionals.

I like to create my own personal version of things. Like if I rip the end credits from a DVD, and get alternates from various places, I might delete the tracks I never listen to and arrange these new ones into appropriate places.

Those professionals are appealing to the masses - not to people like us :|

Thanks to Damo I'm listening to this score now as I type this post. From what I'm hearing so far it's not too bad it's okay but nothing spectacular. I've heard better from Williams.

Edit: I will add listening to some of the action cues it's pretty cool I can definitely hear major hints of The Lost World especially for "Anderton's Great Escape".

I usually defend Minorty Report, because I thought it was a very interesting listen, and good overall.

However, I realize I haven't listened to it in a while; it might not have as much replay value as some of his other scores.

I think I'll have a listen, to refresh my memory.

Great score. Great film. I'm not having any of the talk about plot holes, either. For some people, watching a movie is like nit-picking to make sure that everything could happen realistically. To those people I ask, why watch movies at all? because that is not how they are meant to be viewed. Obviously, a film with a linear storyline requires that things add up logically for coherence's sake, but some of these so called holes that people point out are incredibly minor. The eyeball thing I've heard a million times. Do you really think that they would have changed everything at Pre-Crime less than a day after they discovered they'd be chasing him, as if that's what they would be thinking about as he is still on the loose?

I try not to catch myself up on such small plot details. Plot is one of the least important components of a film. I prefer story, of which plot is a small part regarding its execution in the cinematic medium. Minority Report tells an excellent story and the manner in which it does so is beyond impressive. It's a wonderful blending of genres, and is both incredibly entertaining and great fun to think about. After turning viewer expectations and genre norms inside out with his last film (A.I.), Spielberg did the reverse here and showed his utter command and gracefulness at visual storytelling. He uses genre norms not to contradict one another, but instead to meld them together into a new yet familiar story brimming with originality and energy.

Minority Report is an incredibly complex film in terms of its construction, ideas, and story, but its execution is so smooth. It's rare to watch a movie and engage its images and ideas so strongly while at the same time sit in awe of the movement and energy of such great visual storytelling.

Its is absolutely one of Spielberg's finest.

Ted

Its is absolutely one of Spielberg's finest.

I disagree, for me there was no awe. Personally, I feel this is Spielberg at his most forced: not one scene seems natural or spontanious (for instance, Cruise looking at the holographic film felt emotionally forced and fake). I miss the sheer enthusiasm of the early film maker (Duel, Jaws, Close Encounters). And the movie has one of the worst endings in history. The more I watch this movie the worse it gets. 6/10

Alex

Interesting, because I see the work of a filmmaker in love with movie. That movie is overflowing with an enthusiasm for the craft of making a film. I was in awe of how the element of each scene were arranged, how each scene is arranged in relation to the next, and just the process of experiencing a story visually as a piece of cinema.

Ted

Ted, reading your findings, it's almost as if you're talking about Stanley Kubrick. I think Spielberg indeed tries to master Kubrick's "control", but somehow his goal only makes me yearn for the adolescent Spielberg (TOD not included, of course).

Alex

As you know, the ends are totally different. I like how you sum it up with the term, control. But as I alluded in my first post about this, with Minority Report Spielberg is doing the reverse of what Kubrick did, which is why I said it's almost like A.I.'s polar opposite. I love Minority Report and A.I., and, I think these films together show Spielberg's control of his craft, and they both do it in entirely different ways. I find Minority Report to be a balancing act of so many elements of cinema history, genre and storytelling, and the awe of it for me is how Spielberg pulls it off so (seemingly) effortlessly, when in reality it is a very presicely composed film with elements that are very deliberately placed for that effect. That is how I see it. It is both new and old Spielberg, which gets to what you mentioned about yearning for the old Spielberg. I think the dual nature of it in that sense can be jarring for some viewers. I found it invigorating.

Ted

Minority (movie AND score) is one of the most underrated efforts in recent years. I'm surprised it didn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Film OR/AND Best Score!

:)

Minority (movie AND score) is one of the most underrated efforts in recent years. I'm surprised it didn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Film OR/AND Best Score!

;)

Best score? Come on! Williams idolization can only go so far.

People whinge about the "happy" ending to Minority Report.  The precogs are stuck on an island for the rest of their lives, what kind of life is that?

who cares ,at least that ending got us a good Williams track..

k.m.Who sees things in a JWcentric perspective.