Minority Report OST

Damo

What do you think of Minority Report OST?  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• Very Good
    • It's okay.
    • Not as good as I thought i was.
    • Other thoughts?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People whinge about the "happy" ending to Minority Report.  The precogs are stuck on an island for the rest of their lives, what kind of life is that?

I personally prefer the PS2 game.

At least they had books, many, many books.

It's ok. I just didn't get the same emotion out of it that I got out of earlier, better Spielberg films. War of the Worlds was a slight step up.

People whinge about the "happy" ending to Minority Report.  The precogs are stuck on an island for the rest of their lives, what kind of life is that?

It's the cheesy shot of Cruise's character reunited with a pregnant wife that annoyed the heck out of me.

It's the cheesy shot of Cruise's character reunited with a pregnant wife that annoyed the heck out of me.

A screaming kid and a nagging wife to look forward to.

Yeah, like many Spielberg endings, Minority Report's isn't exactly the most fitting or emotional. It never really gelled for me either. But it was seriously the least important part of the movie - the closing montage of shots - and doesn't damage how I feel about the film.

Ted

I only saw the movie Minority Report once like once from last year and I need to see the movie again to refresh my memory because right now I only have a faint memory of it.

I think Minority Report was a much better fit for Cruise than War of the Worlds, which would have benefitted from more of an everyman in that role, or just a lesser known better actor. I would say that War of the Worlds barely misses being a member of the class of Spielberg's 2000's work - A.I., Minority Report, and Munich, all of which are brilliant movies - because of its weaker last act and Cruise's "Cruise"-ness. He didn't do a terrible job; it just could have been a much stronger performance with a more potent actor playing the role.

Ted

I'm still surprised how good Cruise actually was.

Some people have called WOTW a Tom Cruise film instead of a Spielberg film.

But if it had been a Tom Cruise film the part of his son would not have been played by Justin Chatwin, who is a very noticible 10 centimeters taller then Cruise. (or he would not have been shot to look taller then him.)

War of the Worlds is definitely a Spielberg film, a particularly good one. But you make a good point; I never thought about his son being so much taller than him, and Cruise is notorious for wanting to control all areas of production. And yes, he did everything he could to be the everyman, but it's the best he could have done and I didn't totally buy it.

Ted

I do think Cruise can be a good actor, but lately he just seems to be missing his mark.

Best Cruise performance: Magnolia

I have not seen all of his films, but Tom Cruise is always Tom Cruise. He never becomes the character he's supposed to play. The character becomes him.

Now that's fine if you are a charismatic machoman with smouldering good looks even at age 70 and your name is Sean Connery.

If you are a short, rather annoying guy who constantly hits you over the head with his Religious beliefs that involves some type of space aliens, inpregnate a young women out of wedlock even though you are propably more interested in what her brother is packing in his Levi 501's, and your last appearance on Oprah has all the charm and delicacy of nails on a chalkboard...

It becomes a problem.

Tom is a small guy. The reason why you don't notice that in most of his films is because he is a superstar. So his fellow actors/actresses stand on boxes when they are in the same shot with him.

Wouldn't that make them tower even more above him?

But yes, simple things as camera angles or a soap box out of frame can do wonders to the perception of a person on-screen...

I've always wondered , why people hate Cruise that much.

In most of the films I have seen , he is ok. In Magnolia and Born of 4. July

it's fair enough to say he was great.

I don't think it has anything to do with his acting, it's his actions off camera when he is being himself.

That's whats people are sick of or don't like.

Perhaps we should start a Tom Cruise thread you guys. What I think about Tom Cruise...he just has that same character of his in all his movies..no matter who he was meant to be in any particular film he has been in.

You know, I was listening to Minority Report today... in a lot of respects, the score is very similar to the score to Episode III.

If you took Star Wars and moved it towards Minority Reptor, you'd get the music in Episode III... you hear a lot of the sounds... the solo voice... similar chords and such at times... there is even a partial statement of Shmi's theme in Minority Report...lol

I just found it interesting...

Yeah the solo voice from Minority Report does sound a bit like the solo voice in Padme's Ruminations.

I never noticed... they do sound similar. Do we know who performed the voices?

well, even compositionally speaking, the usage of a solo female voice like that is still similar in their usage and intent... and they're the only scores I can think of off the top of my head where he uses a voice like that.

It's one of the only other scores that JW has done that I can think of that has that solo woman singing in such a haunting way...

Yeah I agree with that.

I just watched the film again last night and noticed some interesting tidbits about the score. There are a few decent unreleased cues from the movie, notably in the scene immediately preceding the jetpack scene and some really quiet, but evocative underscore in the scene in the Sprawl, which is one of my favorite stretches of the movie. Also, the very beginning of "Anderton's Great Escape" is different in the film. I've always known it was a little bit different, but I watched the film with my new sound system, and the differences are very distinct. The film version of the first thirty seconds of that cue is much more synth-heavy and contain some of Williams' most accessible rhythmic synth writing. You'd really think it was by a different composer. Next time you watch the film, turn the volume up for that moment and you'll know what I mean. It's an excellently scored scene, especially the beginning.

Ted

• 4 weeks later...

MR-3m1page1.jpg

MR-3m1page2.jpg

MR-3m1page3.jpg

Hey I just came across with an excerpt of Minority Report score 3M1 Anderton on the Run....can anyone tell if this features on OST ablum...

Im assuming it's Anderson Great Escape right?

Same here. I can't find where this excerpt of the score belongs to on a track on the OST album that features this....

Minority Report was quite a feat. Coming off Attack of the Clones, it was nice to hear Williams free of pre-established melodic/leitmotivic necessities. We got a hint of this sound in AOTC, but Minority Report really fulfilled the sonorities Williams was going for in the darker music. Later, in WOTW, we get a different expansion on this style, but with a more epic grand scope. The brass is just huge in WOTW, while in Minority report, there's more emphasis on the strings. I think Spielberg was right in that it was a "Black and White" score, much like Psycho. The scene where Anderton almost kills the "kidnapper" is extremely tense, and the use of muted trombones there really emphasizes the rancor of the character in that scene. Another favorite moment is the humorous music that accompanies the lighter moments of the jetpack sequence. Sean's Theme is nice, but has a sort of jazzy feel that doesn't really hit home until the scene in which the Psychic woman predicts Sean's would-be development.

You know, listening to Anderton's Great Escape, there were a few moments where it sounded almost identical to the Chase Through Coruscant...especially the use of xylophone/flute/strings.