Longest Star Wars Stretches w/o Scoring

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is that un-scored part, roughly?

I seem to remember there's quite a long bit between "Imperial Attack" and "The Desert" with no music... but I could be wrong.

I believe it's between "Battle in the snow" and "The rebels escape". :-)

Nah, seriously, I think the bit about before "standing by" is right.

Actually, though, the bit in episode one where they sit around the table is around 10 minutes long, if I'm not mistaken - and if we go by subjective time, it feels like three hours...:-P

Yeah, but a lot of that was originally scored with "The Elevator Scene" and the cue known only as "2M1"--both of which can be heard at least partially on the OST. I don't believe anything was ever written for that huge stretch of time in ANH with no scoring whatsoever.

Qui-Gon Meets Jar-Jar is also unscored to nice effect in Episode I.

Ted

However, this was spotted to have music and it was droppped during the dub.

Not to invalidate your statement, but we were discussing areas that were always spotted without music.

Qui-Gon Meets Jar-Jar is also unscored to nice effect in Episode I.

Ted

However, this was spotted to have music and it was droppped during the dub.

Not to invalidate your statement, but we were discussing areas that were always spotted without music.

I forgot. That cue is actually on the OST. And I didn't think it was too bad of a scene. It's too bad Jar-Jar is incredibly annoying but I like the atmosphere of it.

Ted

The speeder bike chase in ROTJ has no score, too.

This reminds me of something that I've noticed alot in movies. Sometimes action scenes will be without score, to highten the emotional power of said scene (I'm just guessing on why this is used). Has anyone else noticed this?

That's never specified in the thread though, is it?

The speeder bike chase in ROTJ has no score, too.

This reminds me of something that I've noticed alot in movies. Sometimes action scenes will be without score, to highten the emotional power of said scene (I'm just guessing on why this is used). Has anyone else noticed this?

I think in a lot of instances you can replace "highten the emotional power" with "not having the SFX compete with anything".

A good chase scene with vehicles doesn't always need music.

It was a wise decision not to score the speeder bike chase.

I think Williams makes a habit of over-composing, that way he can't be surprised on the score stage when they say "Hey, maybe we should put something there."

He ends up being cut a lot, but most of the final outcomes are better that way. Music sometimes has the opposite effect we're going for of down playing feelings instead of emphasizing them, and it's more noticable for those not daily involved with film. Going without music for a scene sometimes can be perfect because sub-conciously we think "They are not alone, there's an orchestra there." Orchestras make up for the feeling of being alone. To push music out of the picture really stresses desolate situations. Not to say that it can't be done with music also, but it's more common to just throw out the music.

~JW

I agree - I think it is always better as a composer to cover as many scenes as possible and dump the music in the dub, rather than be shorthanded and have to start editing other cues together to create new ones.

Some more examples of JW NOT scoring big sequences - (1) the T-Rex attacking the kids in JP, (2) the gunfight/fisfight/fire at Marion's bar in Nepal in ROTLA, (3) the middle segment of the attack on the Death Star in SW:ANH.

I brought a similar idea up in a previous thread that I'd rather have the film over spotted and then make the choices during the dub. Although it didn't seem to go over too well.

I cited examples of Hitchcock wanting the shower sequence in Psycho unscored but Herrmann ended up writing for that scene and it worked out in the end.

True.

However the opposite effect is for Torn Curtain, I think the murder scene works well even though Herrmann wrote a fantastic cue, although in the end it didn't matter as Hitch parted ways with Herrmann. But Addison left it unscored per request.

Yes, for another example, in my opinion, The Empire Strikes Back works the way they mixed the movie. Even though JW's score is masterfully written, all the extra, unused music just isn't necessary. I made a version of the movie with the score mixed as JW wrote it, and it's an interesting alternative to the actual film, but it really is superflous (again, IMHO)

I've heard it said that when you're playing music, the rests are at least as important as the notes. It is true that a score is more effective if it doesn't play nonstop. The lack of music in the first T-rex attack in JP--brilliant. It would have been much less effective if there were action music playing. I have nothing whatsoever against "action music", but it's simply not always appropriate to the scene. The lack of music in the pre-Battle-of-Yavin section of ANH--not so brilliant. I don't think it detracts from the movie, but I certainly wouldn't mind a little underscoring in a few of those scenes.

I like the fact that "The Elevator Scene" was mostly cut out of ROTS. I happen to find that cue fairly enjoyable, but the movie works better without it, IMO. However, I feel that the unused sections of 2M1 (the first half of "Grievous and the Droids") should've been used. The quieter music written for the conversation between Grievous and the Jedi is actually somewhat humorous, especially with the Luke's theme reference as Anakin says "you're shorter than I expected."