Complete 'The Little Mermaid' score?

GoodMusician

Ok, so this shows just what a nerd and how gay of one I am lol..

BUT!

As a child growing up, 'The Little Mermaid' was my favourite movie, and looking back on it now...after something like 18 years, I still love it... and I REALLY want a complete score. I will resort to ripping the damned music if I need to, but I want it.

I was curious if anyone knew of a more complete release than the common release which has only 20 tracks.

The movie has something like 40 tracks. I'd also be interested in voice-less songs as well... if any were released on Kareoke disks...

If anyone knows anything, say so... I'd like to put something together.

It also makes me wonder why none was ever released... Didn't it win best score?! lol And the way Disney is with marketing...

They also tease me horribly ont he DVD's by using the music on the menu's... but it's so horribly balanced, I almost don't want to rip it because it's... kinda gross.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as a complete Little Mermaid bootleg, unfortunately. But there is an extra track, "Sebastain and Triton", in the very interesting release The Music Behind the Magic.

-Ross, who loves that set.

There is no such thing as a complete Little Mermaid bootleg, unfortunately. But there is an extra track, "Sebastain and Triton", in the very interesting release The Music Behind the Magic.

-Ross, who loves that set.

Is that the 3-cd set you sent me a long time ago?

I know of an Aladin expanded version floating around, but never really heard anyhting about Mermaid.

Miguel,

I do not have the faintest memory of sending you that set, honestly. But a common choice in my trades was to just add the demos into the CDs, excluding the tracks already available in the original releases. All the demos fit into 3 CDs.

Although I do remember I sent you the Pocahontas and Hunchback demos and cut songs, too? Those were another CD and were never commercially released.

Please do describe what I sent you, since I can't remember for the life of me. Maybe I just copied Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, but excluded Aladdin, which is 2 CD's, and then I added Pocahontas/Hunchback which would then be a total of 3 CDs?

I just finished watching Little Mermaid (again) and I made a list of all the cues.

01) Disney Opening

02) Fathoms Below *

-Extended Version

-Vocal-less

03) Main Title *

04) Fanfare *

05) Sebastian’s Fanfare

06) Tuning?

07) Daughters of Triton *

-Vocal-less?

08) Ariel!

09) Don’t be Such a Guppy

10) Scuttle’s Expertise

11) The Concert!/ Ursula’s Plan

12) It wasn’t her fault!

13) Following Ariel

14) The Grotto

15) Part of Your World *

-Vocal-less

16) Fireworks *

17) Jig *

18) Eric’s Birthday Present

19) The Storm *

20) Part of Your World (Reprise) *

-Vocal-less

21) Ursula’s Garden (aka: Flotsam and Jetsam) *

22) Ariel, in love?

23) He loves me!

24) Under the Sea *

-Vocal-less

-Alternate Instruments

25) Ariel is gone

26) He Knows!

27) The Destruction of the Grotto *

28) Go Away

29) Wait

30) To Ursula

31) Poor Unfortunate Souls *

-Extended

-Vocal-less

32) Eric’s Haunting Melody

33) Ariel has legs

34) Just Be...just be

35) Ariel Discovered

36) Sebastian Explores the Castle

37) The Kitchen

38) Presentation of Ariel

39) Les Poissons *

40) Orpheus in the Underworld (arranged)

41) Sebastian for Lunch

42) Bedtime *

43) Can’t Find Ariel

44) Tour of the Kingdom *

45) Scuttle Sings

46) Kiss the Girl *

47) Ursula’s Transformation

48) Eric’s Haunting Melody (Reprise)

49) Stolen Voice

50) Wedding Announcement *

51) Sea Witch in Disguise

52) Stall the Wedding

53) Wedding Gone Nuts

54) Your Too Late

55) Eric to the Rescue *

56) Happy Ending *

57) Final Chord

THe ones with * are on the Album.

I didn't count the vocal-less or extra instrument versions of the sung tracks in the track numbers but those would up the final track list to 71 tracks lol...

Then of course there is the Ashley Tisdale "Kiss the Girl" and some other version only on the Little Mermaid I and Little Mermaid II soundtrack set...neither I think I'd include lol

I'm gonna see what I can do about ripping this stuff...

Complete... Aladdin.... wha? ;)

I was actually ripping some music from my Aladdin DVD just the other day; the beautiful intro into "A Whole New World" and that instrumental bit of "Friend Like Me" at the top of the end credits.

As for Little Mermaid, I don't own the score, although I would like to get it. I got really excited when I saw a 2-disc set advertised in the Best Buy ad this week, but then I found out that the second disc was just a bunch of song re-recordings by those same old Disney channel kids.

Miguel,

I do not have the faintest memory of sending you that set, honestly. But a common choice in my trades was to just add the demos into the CDs, excluding the tracks already available in the original releases. All the demos fit into 3 CDs.

Although I do remember I sent you the Pocahontas and Hunchback demos and cut songs, too? Those were another CD and were never commercially released.

Please do describe what I sent you, since I can't remember for the life of me. Maybe I just copied Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, but excluded Aladdin, which is 2 CD's, and then I added Pocahontas/Hunchback which would then be a total of 3 CDs?

Dear Ross,

You never got me a track list, only an overall idea of the contents, but I belive that it contained music from the five scores.

I can only apologize, Miguel, for the lame trade - no covers, no tracklists, no descriptions... If I can make it up for you now, please let me know.

By the way, did I send these albums in some tacky colored CDs? Like shiny orange and shiny pink and shiny purple? In that case, the apology increases.

lol... I'm just saying that they've used the actual instrumental track on kareoke disks before for songs... If anyone knew of a disney one that had the kareoke of songs from 'The Little Mermaid' that would be nice to add to the disk as well.

I can only apologize, Miguel, for the lame trade - no covers, no tracklists, no descriptions... If I can make it up for you now, please let me know.

By the way, did I send these albums in some tacky colored CDs? Like shiny orange and shiny pink and shiny purple? In that case, the apology increases.

You've always been teh kindest, no need ever to apologise, even if the CDs looked like the rainbow ;)

Wait, so there's unreleased stuff from Hunchback of Notre Dame?

I managed to get a hold of this set. Interesting demo tapes.

I'm having trouble ripping the dvd for some reason. It says out of bounds. If someone who's proficient with the ripping program could maybe get me some help?

I'm also interested in ripping the menu's too and augmenting the dvd rip with some of that material.

They also tease me horribly ont he DVD's by using the music on the menu's... but it's so horribly balanced, I almost don't want to rip it because it's... kinda gross.

I see what you mean. It sounds like it's mono. :?

I know of an Aladdin expanded version floating around, but never really heard anyhting about Mermaid.

Slightly OT, but is there a tracklist of that expanded Aladdin floating around? I've been wanting to piece together my own for quite a while, since I've got the 1992 OST, Music Behind The Magic, and the DVD...

I know of an Aladdin expanded version floating around, but never really heard anyhting about Mermaid.

Slightly OT, but is there a tracklist of that expanded Aladdin floating around? I've been wanting to piece together my own for quite a while, since I've got the 1992 OST, Music Behind The Magic, and the DVD...

I don't have one, but can try to get it.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually managed to rip the movie. I had to use a different program to export the vob's, but I got it.

Unfortuantely, the people who remastered the movie into 5.1 felt the need to put the voices in more than just the center channel and put them in the front as well.

I'm forced to use only the back channels... which is ok... but it's not as clean as I was hoping.

I'm going though this pretty quickly.

I decided to try to split the files that I'm capable of splitting, but some I couldn't and decided to combine. This is my track list so far:

01) Disney Opening* - [0:16]

02) Fathoms Below* - [1:42]

03) Main Title* - [1:26]

04) Fanfare* - [0:30]

05) Sebastian’s Fanfare - [0:09]

06) Tuning - [0:18]

07) Daughters of Triton* - [0:40]

08) Ariel! - [0:03]

09) Don’t be Such a Guppy - [3:07]

10) Scuttle’s Expertise - [1:08]

11) The Concert! - [0:10

12) Ursulas Plan* - [1:25]

13) It wasn’t her fault! - [1:46]

14) To The Grotto -[0:43]

15) Intro to - [0:13]

16) Part of Your World* - [3:15]

17) Fireworks/ Jig* - [2:12]

18) Erics Birthday Present - [0:12]

19) The Storm* - [3:20]

20) Part of Your World (Reprise)* - [2:17]

21) Ursulas Garden/ Ariel in Love - [0:47]

22) He Loves Me - [0:22]

23) Under the Sea* - [3:15]

24) Ariel is Gone - [0:11]

25) He Knows!* - [1:43]

26) Destruction of the Grotto* - [1:54]

*- Denotes no sound effects (clean rip/Album)

I've also managed to get a few vocal-less tracks.

#) Fathoms Below (because of the mix in the film, one verse has no voice in it)

#) Daughters of Triton

#) Under the Sea

I wanted to get one of "Part of your world" but because of the echo from the Grotto, the back channels have her singing echo. Some parts are loud enough that they cover it, but for the most part, you may as well listen to the song as is presented on the album.

I'll keep you all up to date.

Yeah, it's a shame they had to go and screw up the vocals by spreading them out and messing with the frequencies. Really, would it have killed them to include the original sound mix? I've heard several folks say that they're going to make their own DVDs with the video from the new disc and the audio from the old one. I have a friend with the old disc; I might even try that myself.

Shame on you, Disney. :)

Yep. I found out the same thing during "Aladdin." I could get much cleaner rips from the original 5.1 than from the DEHT. Of course, this might be a stupid question, but did you try ripping from the foreign language tracks? I'm not sure if they're based on the original mix or the DEHT.

lol...

Disney has its own rules.

I wonder if it's to keep the film from being very mono sounding. I've noticed that it sounds really weird when yuo're watching it... like... it sounds almost mono even though it's not. I wonder if they're trying to create a heightened sence of reality by moving the voices to the front speakers to give them more dimention?

I didn't figure out how to rip the music until the other night because the program that I've been using has never worked... but now that I've figured it out, i will give it a try before I try hunting down the old mix.

"DVD Audio Extractor" is a Godsend. You can rip every audio track on the DVD, and in six different .wav files for each channel to boot. If you aren't using it already, I'd strongly suggest seeking it out.

I've been using the smart ripper... Stefancos had that whole explaination and that's what I've been doing.

I eventually found the other night I could use...I think it's DVD Decrypter...and then use BeSure to rip the audio...

It works fine I guess..

I'll get back to you all on the language rips.

Last night I put in the DVD and went to "Part of Your World", then I synched up the iPod with the song on it.... and I again confirmed that the vocals on the DVD really do sound horrible. It honestly sounds like Ariel is holding her nose.

Blech. ;)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.WHen it came out, I'd been waiting for soo long to get it...and then I got it at midnight, went over to a friends house and watched it...and All i could think was how odd it sounded...

• 7 years later...

Same here. For me, this score is better when heard in complete form. I was never satisfied with the current album, which left out of a considerable amount of excellent music.

The Little Mermaid is also coming out in the Legacy Collection (same as the recent Lion King), with assumed more score and the songs included. Disney listed it for November 17, 2014.

Assuming the set will be two discs, the complete score and songs will probably be on the first disc. I wonder what will be on the second disc? Probably song and score demos that were on the Music Behind the Magic set from the 90s, and maybe alternates, if any exist. I doubt they would include song instrumentals since they weren't included with The Lion King set. The track listing will probably be revealed after Sleeping Beauty is released in early October.