Scoring Quidditch

tpigeon

Which Do You Prefer?  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Quidditch Match (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
    • Quidditch, Third Year (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)

This may have been done, but I'd like to know which Quidditch music John Williams fans prefer: the jaunty, fanfare-heavy, happy music in Sorcerer's Stone or the more hard-edged, agressive music in the Prisoner of Azkaban. The Quidditch score from The chamber of Secrets is disqualified since it is not on the CD and is a rehash of music from the first film and from the Coruscant chase music from Attack of the Clones. So, please discuss, and I urge you to explain why you made the selection you did.

Me, I prefer Quidditch, Third Year because I think it is wonderful Williams action writing. He develops different ideas and layers in new ones as the piece progresses, all in under a four minute run time. I love the furious strings bit right after the opening brass section also.

Ted

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with POA. The material is much more developed, particularly in some of the imitative passages. He also gets cool points for opening the cue with a harpsichord and for using tolling bells and bell tone like sounds in the brass throughout the cue. It sounds so much more inspired than SS/PS.

While neither is great, POA cue is more driving. The other one is nothing special at all. In fact, the whole SS/PS score is boring and doesn't work well in its film. It's too overbearing and self-important. What was Williams thinking?

Karol

Quidditch Third Year is eons ahead.

It's too overbearing and self-important. What was Williams thinking?

The first two scores are great. Some of Williams' best work. The first one is a little too kiddy though.

The Quidditch Match (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

I prefer it because it feels more like an old style John Williams action set piece ala The Desert Chase or the Bike Chase from E.T.

I don't even mind the rip from TLW.

Quidditch: Year Three is one of the few modern style Williams action cues that I actually fully enjoy though.

The Quidditch Match (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

I prefer it because it feels more like an old style John Williams action set piece ala The Desert Chase or the Bike Chase from E.T.

I don't even mind the rip from TLW.

Quidditch: Year Three is one of the few modern style Williams action cues that I actually fully enjoy though.

I totally agree. "The Quidditch Match" reminds me of ROTJ space battle music a lot. I like it also because it has all of the main themes in it, much like action pieces from Star Wars, Raiders and E.T..

"Year Three" is a very good piece though, great for driving in the rain.

Jeff

Well these happen to be, in my opinion, Williams two greatest action cues of the 21st century not in a film directed by George Lucas.

That being said I prefer SS by a nose. As Steef said, it's classic Williams action. You can feel and hear every shift in the game, every changing emotion in the music. Add to that the fact that so many themes have a major presence in the cue (Flying Theme, Gryffindor's theme, Quidditch Fanfare, Hedwig's Theme, Voldemort's main theme, and the first true statement of Harry's theme in the film).

But I have to say that my favorite small part of either cue is the first 30 seconds or so of Third Year (after the soft Draco's Note stuff). Williams brings rousing to a whole new level. But as a whole cue SS stands out more.

I cant pick one over another. HPSS's is a great long action piece we don't seem to get very much from Williams anymore written in very much his old style just like what Steef said. Third Year however, is an absolutely fantastic cue too. I'd pick Third Year if it was longer though. :)

I voted for the HP:SS cue. I enjoy both of these...they're very different takes on similar subject matter. The length of "The Quidditch Match" works in its favor, as does the huge orchestration, particularly when the match itself starts. "Quidditch, Third Year" presents and develops an interesting motif, and I like the choir, but much of the cue simply lacks some intangible qualities. I could really vote either way, so it makes sense to me that the two cues are currently tied at 13 and 13.

The Quidditch Match. It has the coherence and thematic complexity of a true Williams classic; I suppose it is a little like The Ultimate War, although with less themes and more pounding action-driving music.

I suppose it is a little like The Ultimate War, although with less themes and more pounding action-driving music.

Actually there are just as many themes in The Quidditch Match. :)

This is a damn good poll. I go for SS and skipping the theme stuff and diving directly at ~3:30 until ~5:10. Nearly unbeatable string and brass writing. One of the best if not the best moments from the whole Potter series.

I choose "The Quidditch Match," pretty much for what everyone has already said. It's so colorful, thematic, and vibrant, from the determined opening to the heraldic fanfares to the first outburst of the Numbus 2000 theme, and how Williams just goes balls out from there on. Really a fantastic, lenghty setpiece of a cue like we don't get much anymore. "Quidditch, Third Year" is great too, in a much darker way. I remember when I first heard it, I was so thrilled that Williams had written a thematic action cue again.

Ray Barnsbury

I wasn't anticipating it being this close. I thought the Sorcerer's Stone cue would win by a long shot. Like I said, I voted for the Azkaban cue because I think it has such a great thematic force and is so complex. Many comments about the Sorcerer's Stone cue are interesting, but, for some reason, I didn't connect with the action style the way I have with ones in the past from Williams. It's a big, sprawling set piece, and there are certain things I love about it, like the opening militaristic stuff and the big fanfare, but the tense music just doesn't hit me on the level that the powerful brass and strings do in the other cue.

Ted

I fell in love with "The Quidditch Match" while I was watching the movie for the first time. Especially near the end, just before Harry catches the snitch.

It took me a few listens on the CD to like "Quidditch: Year Three."

Both cues, though, are great for driving on the highway.

I suppose it is a little like The Ultimate War, although with less themes and more pounding action-driving music.

Actually there are just as many themes in The Quidditch Match. :(

I'd like to see that proven, just out of curiosity's sake.

Actually there are just as many themes in The Quidditch Match. :(

I'd like to see that proven, just out of curiosity's sake.

OK, let's see here:

Quidditch Match: Flying Theme, Gryffindor's theme, Quidditch Fanfare, Hedwig's Theme, Voldemort's main theme, Harry's theme- 6 total

Ultimate War: Pan's Theme (Flying theme), Hook's main theme, Conflict theme (Prologue theme), When You're Alone, Neverland theme, Lost Boys fanfare- 6 total

Pretty sure I got them all. And thinking about it, if you want to get really picky Ultimate War would have 7 if you count the pre-Ultimate War Pan & Tink cue, which is on the same track as UW I on the boot and has the Remembering Childhood theme.

The first one is a little too kiddy though.

Well, considering they're still kids, it fits right enough, doesn't it?

I'm torn, but in the end, I voted for PS, largely because of Voldemort's theme.

I agree -- I fell in love with Voldemort's Theme in this track! This is truly spectacular! As are the last few minutes of "The Quidditch Match."

OK, let's see here:

Quidditch Match: Flying Theme, Gryffindor's theme, Quidditch Fanfare, Hedwig's Theme, Voldemort's main theme, Harry's theme- 6 total

Ultimate War: Pan's Theme (Flying theme), Hook's main theme, Conflict theme (Prologue theme), When You're Alone, Neverland theme, Lost Boys fanfare- 6 total

Pretty sure I got them all. And thinking about it, if you want to get really picky Ultimate War would have 7 if you count the pre-Ultimate War Pan & Tink cue, which is on the same track as UW I on the boot and has the Remembering Childhood theme.

If you are counting the bootlegs, then The Ultimate War has atleast one more theme, that being Hook's secondary theme. I wouldn't count the Peter / Tink cue before TUW because it is for a completely different scene.

The Quidditch Match is running away with it. It was slow out of the gates, but was consistent once it got going.

Ted

I like when Harry Catches the sintch and his theme plays (harry's wondrous world) while the crowd cheers.Classic JW moment.

K.M.

Especially the BOOM-TZZZZZ!

LOL