Mozart

pi

He is damn amazing, how could he have been human??

I do not get it at all, the more I learn about music the more I am fascinated by him. Look at all the hoops JW, Stravinsky jump through to make music and mozart did it with a string section 2-8 winds for the most part in a diatonic setting. what a beast.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what,JW's music sounds better to me.

K.M.

Williams has the advantage of having a more diverse harmonic pallette to work from. Mozart must be judged in the era he was writing. He truly is amazing.

Probably one of the best composers that has ever lived; simply put, he was a genious.

Rabbit--who would much rather go to a Williams concert than a Mozart concert

I had the opportunity to sing in the chorus for a Requiem concert last spring. It was amazing!

pi, I agree, it is interesting to see just how rich a Classical orchestration can be, with so few instruments! Compare the orchestra from "The Marriage of Figaro" to that of a Wagner opera like "Die Valkerie."--Two totally different groups of instruments and different styles of orchestration as well. I like them both, and don't really prefer one style over another.

The same can be said when "comparing" Mozart to Williams. It's like comparing apples to oranges, because so many variables are different between the two composers, their careers, and the tools and styles they had to work with.

For me, one advantage Williams might have over a classical composer is the fact that his music is featured in film, a very powerful medium of expression that Mozart never had the advantage of writing for. Recognizing familiar themes from beloved movies can certainly make a film score concert very rewarding to the listener.

While I'm sure he is amazing in his harmonic environment as far as getting as much out of diatonic music as you possibly can, I really, truly hate classical harmony with a vengeance. It's not even a matter of respect for the artists, it just bores me to death in a way that only elevator music can. Also, I speak as someone, who, since the first of January, has had Mozart hurled at him from every imaginable angle from festivals to cookies to "Mozartkugeln" (whatever the hell they're called in other countries) to cakes to frickin *Mozart ham*, for christ's sake. :-/

Basically, I put him on a level with Hendrix - amazing musician in his time and environment, lots of flash and mystery, but the world's been turning since then. Having said that, I still love "electric ladyland".

Mozart is certainly one of the greatest composers in the history of all music, and, for all the hype (and I've been part of it this year too, with "Ave Mozart!", an overture utilizing and playing with themes of his), I must honestly say that I think he is somwhat "underappreciated", which is a strange term to use about one of the most celebrated musicians of all time. I think we're too often numbed by the beauty and grace and inevitability of his music to truly grasp the incredible depth and finesse of his craft. Mozart was certainly one of the greatest musical dramatists of all time, and a talent seemingly without boundaries. His importance cannot be stressed enough!

To my knowledge, the Requiem is *partly* orchestrated by Mozart.

pi, I agree, it is interesting to see just how rich a Classical orchestration can be, with so few instruments!  Compare the orchestra from "The Marriage of Figaro" to that of a Wagner opera like "Die Valkerie."--Two totally different groups of instruments and different styles of orchestration as well.  I like them both, and don't really prefer one style over another.

Also, those parts of Figaro with some 10 soloists all singing simultaneously are just mind-boggling.

And honestly, I don't see how one can be bored to death by a double fugue like the Requiem's Kyrie.

I cant believe people know so little of music to compare John Williams or worse! to Mozart.

There are many pieces of Mozart that are among the unheralded works of mainstream classical that catch my fancy.

Piano Concerto 23 (: (the most perfect piece of music ever) listen to that second theme in the first movement!!!! wow!

Piano Concerto 9

Violin Concerto 5

Symphony 35

Symphony 27

Serenade for 13 winds

etc etc

it aint just about the requiem

While I'm sure he is amazing in his harmonic environment as far as getting as much out of diatonic music as you possibly can, I really, truly hate classical harmony with a vengeance. It's not even a matter of respect for the artists, it just bores me to death in a way that only elevator music can. Also, I speak as someone, who, since the first of January, has had Mozart hurled at him from every imaginable angle from festivals to cookies to "Mozartkugeln" (whatever the hell they're called in other countries) to cakes to frickin *Mozart ham*, for christ's sake. :-/

Basically, I put him on a level with Hendrix - amazing musician in his time and environment, lots of flash and mystery, but the world's been turning since then. Having said that, I still love "electric ladyland".

How do I add this person to my "block" list?