New Varese Club CDs...

robthehand

EDIT: Here they are!

The New Varese Club CDs Are...

mnbdpral.jpg

Birdman of Alcatraz (Elmer Bernstein)

Limtied to 3,000 copies.

wyrunjersm.jpg

Runaway The Deluxe Edition (Jerry Goldsmith)

Limited to 2,000 copies.

casluscxws.jpg

Lucas (Dave Grusin)

Limited to 2,000 copies.

tieranranhufo.jpg

Seven Cities Of Gold/The Rains Of Ranchipur (Hugo Friedhofer)

Limited to 1,000 copies - SOLD OUT!

kngcoorychmhy.jpg

Careful, He Might Hear You (Ray Cook)

Limited to 1,000 copies.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Intrada might be Bruce Broughton's scores to the Eloise films. Someone posted a link at Intrada where Broughton mentions it.

As for the Varese let me get it out of the way so everyone won't waste their time asking, again, for these titles.

I want Back To The Future!!! I want Alien!!!!

OK. There will probabaly be a couple of 1000 only units. More than likely there will be no Williams.

Varese usually doesn't put any hints in their announcements but given the recent Conti releases one could think it might be a Rocky score.

I think Robert Townson said that they would release some Goldsmith before the end of the year...

And as for that (rather obvious) clue in the Varese announcement, are there any unreleased Rocky scores?

As for the Varese let me get it out of the way so everyone won't waste their time asking, again, for these titles.

I want Back To The Future!!! I want Alien!!!!

I want Spartacus! :P

Up until now, I've heard that Spartacus hasn't been released because it's Universal - but then again Amazing Stories is Universal, isn't it? Could they be (finally) open for business? :P

Amazing Stories was under Amblin (Spielberg) as well so I think that's why Intrada was able to do it.

That's why I've gotten my hopes up slightly that Back To The Future might stand a better chance of getting a release.

Intrada will release Broughton's Eloise at the Plaza and Eloise at Christmastime shortly.

My guess for the varese CDs:

Hook - John Williams - 2-CD set limited to 3000 copies

Boys From Brazil - Jerry Goldsmith - limited to 2000 copies

and for their 1000 unit lp to cd deal:

The Formula - Bill Conti

or

Cat's Eye - Alan Silvestri

or

Russkies - James Newton Howard

You see... I have no clue!

Boys From Brazil - Jerry Goldsmith - limited to 2000 copies

Gimme! :P

Are those just random guesses, or do you have some sort of inside source?

Intrada will release Broughton's Eloise at the Plaza and Eloise at Christmastime shortly.

My guess for the varese CDs:

Okay, first off, that would be excellent!!! Somehow I feel there would be more reference to Hook than Rocky in the announcement though (unless the "gonna fly" referred to Hook, not "Gonna Fly Now.").

Now, about the Eloise scores, that's actually good news. They are extremely enjoyable Broughton scores, and I'm glad that I'll be able to get them on CD.

:)

its nothing to get excited over. :roll:

I know this may be a long shot, but someone already said that Townson mentioned a Goldsmith release would be popping up in the latter half of this year. That got me thinking . . .

What if this boxing mumbojumbo isn't regarding Rocky? What if . . . It's for Goldsmith's rejected score to Gladiator? Hmmmmmm? That would be quite interesting.

Would it?

I think everyone interested in Goldsmith's 'GLadiator' has heard it by now, or at least COULD if he/she wanted. And it's not really that breathtaking, although it has some rather engaging jumpy moments...in a good-cheesy kind of way.

If i were a record producer, i wouldn't release 'Back to the Future' out of sheer nastiness, just because people are so damn focused on getting it...maybe it helps that i'm agreeing with the Moviewave-guy that it's one of the last scores i find necessary to have in a longer version. It's not really god's gift to mankind - serviceable movie music, the best of it released.

'Hook'...yeah, well, if you like being disappointed, hold on to your dreams. It's far outside Varése's reach. And 'Epic'-executives (or whoever holds the rights currently) would probably faint when seeing the final AFM payment sum. It's still 160 minutes of music...

If i were a record producer, i wouldn't release 'Back to the Future' out of sheer nastiness, just because people are so damn focused on getting it...maybe it helps that i'm agreeing with the Moviewave-guy that it's one of the last scores i find necessary to have in a longer version. It's not really god's gift to mankind - serviceable movie music, the best of it released.

8O :folder:

:)

Blasphemy!!

Dude, there's so much good unreleased stuff it's not even funny. Perhaps the best of it is released unofficially, but while they got some good bits on the soundtrack, it definitely deserves a complete release.

"The Clocktower" is the only cue I really need from Back to the Future.

The rest is nothing special, IMO, but I'd pay the price of a CD to have that cue alone. :)

There are a couple of unreleased cues from BTTF that I would love to hear on a beautifully produced official release with good sound quality.

However, what I find frightening is the lack of solidarity of people like Southall who just don't want the score released because it's what people actually want to see released. For him, it just seems to be a principle of being opposition and the most scary thing is: his review proofed that he has no clue about silvestri or the BTTF score. He made really terrible factual errors and that, along with his lack of solidarity, are inexcusable in my eyes.

The gonna fly could just mean there will be two 1000 only units and they will sell out the first day like in the past.

Nah, there's at least 4 other references to Rocky in their blurb, besides the "Gonna Fly" bit.

"Going The Distance" and "The Final Bell" are track titles from the Rocky CD, and they mention "Knock-out Punch" and "Back In The Ring"

I don't think they'd put all those references in if there wasn't a Rocky CD coming.

There wasn' a knock out punch in the first Rocky, and "Back in the Ring" makes me think sequel...

Is there much unreleased music from Rocky 2 & 3??

The most interesting thing about this announcement to me is that it was changed shortly after it was announced. A user at the intrada board revealed the supposedly real announcement which wasn't online that long:

CD CLUB: BACK IN ACTION!

Date: 10/25/2006

An veritable explosion of new titles will emerge from our venerable CD Club on November 6.

Save up! Be ready! Be here!

Interesting, because this one actually does not contain one of the rocky hints. I guess the second rocky-ish announcement is a decoy.

As we all know, Varese usually does not include hints to the titles in their pre-announcement. I highly doubt there will be a rocky CD. In fact, the original announcement sounds more like Blown Away or comparable action/thriller scores but even that is terribly vague.

The only time Varese actually hinted at something was the Goldsmith Boxed Set, and that announcement was something along the line of being one of their best releases ever.

Like I said given the Conti releases it could be a Rocky score. But more than likely they are referring to 1000 unit copies flying away quickly.

But more than likely they are referring to 1000 unit copies flying away quickly.

Or one really big release that sells like hotcakes.

Colosseum accidentally posted the number of titles which is 5. However, that can also mean we get some double or even tripple-headers. Conti has several short scores out on lp only which would all make great tripple-headers. I am thinking of stuff like Uncle Joe Shannon, An Unmarried Woman or Five Days From Home. The new run will probably include something along those lines plus one lp-CD 1000 unit re-issue and one really big 3000 units top seller. That would make 5.

One more night to sleep and then Santa Townson will come early tomorrow morning. I hope he will bring some nice CDs with him and that they will be around for at least 24 hours :pukeface:

The 1000 ltd. edition doesn't normally last 24 hours, does it?

The last few (Top Secret!, An Unfinished Life, An Almost Perfect Affair and Sky Bandits) all sold out in less than 24 hours, I think.

That's why I hope this one will stay around a bit longer.

If i remember correctly, all highly-requested titles from the lp catalogue are already released and whats left is mainly obscure fare by big name composers such as Cat's Eye, Russkies, F/X, The Formula... Right now I can't think of any title that would be as sought-after as, say, Top Secret.

(I believe it took sky bandits a little longer than a day to sell out but i can't remember exactly. Unfinished Life does not really count because that wasn't an LP to CD re-issue. The low pressing run was made because it is a rejected score and I doubt there will be a similar release anytime soon)

Really, that hook release was wishful thinking on my part.

I guess it's more realistic to hope for a complete hook (or any other big williams release from varese) next year when williams celebrates his 75th.

I am not sure what varese will be up to this time. Maybe Karate Kit or some other conti related stuff for their 1000 unit CD, a pairing of two rather obscure scores from a big name composer (maybe silvestri's blown away + clean slate - could be fun), the lp-to-CD re-issue and some other release.

It's also amazing to see almost no club CD topics at FSM this time. As if people suddenly lost interest in speculating about the club releases.

Guessing over! The new CDs are...

mnbdpral.jpg

Birdman of Alcatraz (Elmer Bernstein)

Limtied to 3,000 copies.

wyrunjersm.jpg

Runaway The Deluxe Edition (Jerry Goldsmith)

Limited to 2,000 copies.

casluscxws.jpg

Lucas (Dave Grusin)

Limited to 2,000 copies.

tieranranhufo.jpg

Seven Cities Of Gold/The Rains Of Ranchipur (Hugo Friedhofer)

Limited to 1,000 copies.

kngcoorychmhy.jpg

Careful, He Might Hear You (Ray Cook)

Limited to 1,000 copies.

A nice batch from Varese... :)

I ordered

SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD/RAINS OF THE RANCHIPUR by Hugo Friedhofer

RUNAWAY: THE DELUXE EDITION by Jerry Goldsmith

BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ by Elmer Bernstein

and finally picked up Alien Nation