The Lord Of The Rings Symphony - Louisville - January 19 & 20 2007

Delorean90

So the LOTR Symphony is coming to town and I'm freakin' excited. My question is where should I sit in the room for the best listen? Because I've heard that where you sit affects how good it sounds and everything. So does anyone have any recommendations?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The where you sit thing is true but I sat in the mid right on the ground floor when they came to Chicago, sounded great from where I sat.

The closer (and slightly higher) the better. I watched Shore perform it in London's Royal Albert Hall with the LPO from about 20ft away in the raised stands. Amazing. The percussion and most of the strings section were a stones throw from us. Shore himself was in clear frontal view.

Too close often isn't good. Particularly if you're not sitting in the centre. Sit to the very right in the second row at Vienna's Musikverein and you won't hear much more than the second violins.

My rule of thumb is the same as for the cinema: Centered, perhaps in the middle third of the hall (though more to the front or back is fine, as long as there's still a bit of distance to the orchestra and you're not right in front of a dampening wall).

I didn't know the LOTR symphony was still traveling.  Is there a website or a schedule?  

Howard Shore.com

~Tyler, who knows deep down that chances are slim of it coming to Florida....
   * October 28 & 29, 2006 - Albuquerque NM

* October 28, 2006 - Nice FR

* January 6, 2007 - Leipzig DE

* January 19, 2007 - Louisville KY

* February 21 & 22, 2007 - St. Petersburg FL

:folder: 8O

ttbk

:) Night Crossing

By mistake, I was actually bumped up to the middle of the 2nd row at the Atlanta Symphony concert, and it was AMAZING. I was worried about how it would sound as compared to higher-up (albeit cheaper) seats, but it turned out to be a mistake in my favor. Great performance, great sound.

Sweet! It's odd that it would come to St. Petersburg, and not Miami (which just built a new Performing Arts Center) or Ft. Lauderdale.

This might be worth driving to the other coast to see. :)

Hey...can you try an get a recording of the show...even if its a static-filled, mono recording? (Like the one done for the Matrix Suite earlier this year)

That way I can edit together a good likeness of the symphony the way I did Don Davis'.

Most of it works very well, if you accept that you are basically listening to a reduced version of the 3 OST CD's (though the FOTR parts does have to pieces that were not released at that time)

The edit in Bridge Of Khazad Dum is very painfull though.

I listened to it in the middle of the 11th row at Place-des-Arts' Pelletier Hall in Montreal. At that venue, I always prefer ground seats since that hall is so big that the brass drowns out the strings when you listen from the balconies.

I couldn't agree more! I saw it with Shore conducting in Atlanta, back in 2004, and when the Bridge cue built and built, but did not resolve to the Fellowship Theme (as it does in track 13 at 3:37), I was quite upset!

Other than that, it was a great experience, and I even got to meet Shore briefly afterwards, so that made it even better.

The edit in Bridge Of Khazad Dum is very painfull though.

At least the chord right before the Gondor theme in "The White Tree" is the chord from the CD version, not from the movie version. I still don't understand how that minor chord made it into the film, while the CD has such a beautiful, more satisfying major chord.

Okay.  Thanks for the help, guys!  I'll definitely enjoy it!  :)   But the Bridge cue doesn't resolve into the Fellowship theme?  :cool: