Which is your favorite "Jaws Theme" performance?

Josh500

My favorite performance of "Main Title from Jaws" is:  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• the one on the OST (concert version).
    • the one on the Collector's Edition ST (like it's heard in the movie).
    • the one performed by LSO (The Hollywood Sound).
    • the one performed by BPO (first version).
    • the one performed by BPO (Spielberg/Williams collab.).
    • other.

There are so many, and they sound all a bit different. I must say I just LOVE the performance by the BPO on "The Spielberg/Williams collaboration." Many people would say nothing beats the original, but I can't get over how well BPO played it in 1989, especially the section from 1:21 onwards (is this piano, or what?). If you close your eyes and turn it on full-blast, you really ARE in danger of shark attacks, almost, even when I'm in my apartment! :)

What do you think?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City of Prague Philharmonic.

:)

I dislike pretty much everything recorded by City of Prague, especially their recording of Jaws (and 1941 also).

I prefer the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration recording the best because the percussion really gives it all they've got in those accented bass drum hits.

The Flag Parade is the only Prague recording that I like. Even so, there are better versions of TFP done by other orchestras.

Why isn't the RSNO/McNeely re-recording listed?

That would fall under "others." It's not conducted by JW, is it?

Sure, the original's pretty darn perfect, but I think the Spielberg/Williams version is the next best thing . . . at least, that's what I think. I borrowed that CD from a friend when I was ten or so, just because I was so fascinated by the Jaws Theme! I didn't even know that JW had written it. But it's still one of my all-time favorite CDs!

My favorite Jaws theme rendition comes from the legendary Henry Mancini, conducting the LSO and concludes the disaster movie suite from the rca cd "the godfather & other movie themes". A remarkable album.