The Themes of Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings

Jay

Maybe because John Williams pretty much abandoned thematic approach (that's another topic altogether) or maybe because there are about 30 themes in the six pictures. There are many other things happening musically in SW than just themes in these scores and this is telling.

Besides, LOTR is not in the same league as SW. And yes, I'm talking about prequel scores also.

Karol

Besides, LOTR is not in the same league as SW. And yes, I'm talking about prequel scores also.

Karol

I'll accept your opinion that the LOTR music is not in the same league as the SW music from the original trilogy.

But Shore's music is about 10 times more interesting and good them the Prequel scores.

More fascinating to study? You bet. But more effective in the film? I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Karol, who can agree on inferiority of AOTC when compared to LOTR, but not the other two.

You must be joking?

Anyway this is a LOTR thread and I don't wanna turn it into another stupid SW versus LOTR debate.

This line of discussion stops NOW!

If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done.

Karol, whose scheme to destroy this thread is going as planned :pukeface:

Oh, one more thing. I'm now listening to the FOTR: CR (and hating every 180 minutes of it :) ). Is there a direct connection between the little fanfare in the track 4 on disc 2 (Orthanc), when Gandalf escapes, and the one in the beacons scene in ROTK? These passages are very similar. Is it a "mountains theme" or something?

Karol

You must be joking?

Anyway this is a LOTR thread and I don't wanna turn it into another stupid SW versus LOTR debate.

Karol, whose scheme to destroy this thread is going as planned :)

That sounds like trolling, you know.

Oh, one more thing. I'm now listening to the FOTR: CR (and hating every 180 minutes of it :) ). Is there a direct connection between the little fanfare in the track 4 on disc 2 (Orthanc), when Gandalf escapes, and the one in the beacons scene in ROTK? These passages are very similar. Is it a "mountains theme" or something?

Karol

Probably not, since Gandalf doesn't escape from a mountain, but a tower.

FOTR and ROTK have a mountain theme, though it's been edited out of ROTK completely.

But there are mountains in the background and it continues when we see one of these awful CGI shots of the eagle flying, which looks almost like Call pf the Champions cover...

Karol

You must be joking?

Karol, whose scheme to destroy this thread is going as planned :)

That sounds like trolling, you know.

Then you must use your moderator powers to prevent it.

I don't realkly think there is a connection, other then both being fanfaric themes composed by Shore.

But what's the deal here, first you claim to intensly dislike these scores and even plan to ruin this thread (which is very disrespectfull to Jason6285's work) and now you are attempting to get into an actual debate about aspects of the score?

It's one thing or the other mate!

It always bothered me, that's all. The fanfare, I mean.

And I respect Jason6285's work. My points have nothing to do with him. I thought that discussion about themes on this thread is needed. I guess I was wrong. Criticism is not necessarilly a sign of disrespect. Quite the opposite. I tried to make this thread more interesting. That's all.

You actually believed in my grand scheme? And when did I say that I "intensly dislike these scores"? Not counting posts with smileys, I mean.

Sorry Jason6285 :)

Karol

You actually believed in my grand scheme? And when did I say that I "intensly dislike these scores"? Not counting posts with smileys, I mean.

Karol

No your smileys gave your dastardly none plans away.

It's an extreme example of leitmotif approach. I thought it is clear.

No more extreme than Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen - and that guy is generally credited with "inventing" the leitmotif approach.

crocodile said:
Sorry Jason6285  :)

No problem, and by all means everyone, just call me Jay! :mrgreen:

I think that if people want to debate the merits of Shore's score to LOTR, they should do it in a different thread. A thread designed for debating the merits of his score.

This thread should be a discussion of the themes in his score, talking about the ones mentioned in the liner notes, trying to figure out if there are any others, figuring out where they all are on the CDs, etc.

I guess that's what I get for posting my list on JW message board and not a Howard Shore or LOTR message board though, eh? :)

What can I say, this board is like home to me, I've been posting since 1999! (3 or 4 message board softwares ago when it was called "Star Wars - Episode 1: The Music", anyone remember that?)

Anyway, I just updated the first 2 posts in this thread. First post now contains the themes from the first disc of TTT. It's by no means complete, as its just what I noticed while listening to it tonight while formatting post 2 and doing other things on the computer. So its really only the obvious themes from FOTR that I've spotted so far.

Speaking of the second post, it's now complete, so check it out!

Yes, but we're talking about film scores here.  

Is there any reason why a film score can't follow the same structure as an opera? And besides, I don't think film scores have any less musical value than other musical works.

I thought the times of using the term "film score" in a demeaning way are over.

Jason, this is really cool, I'll be following this. IMO the most useful thing missing here is a musical transcription of each theme / theme snippet here. Then people can look at those notes while going through the breakdown and have it in their heads.

You obviously don't have the Fellowship Complete Recordings set, do you? :)

Actually I do have them, but I have them as an advance promo copy that I got through my college paper. That was just the discs without the liner notes.

Does anyone else think it's a shame that the extended music isn't on the "Complete Recordings"? To me Houses of Healing is one of the most gorgeous cues in the entire work.

diskobolus said:
Does anyone else think it's a shame that the extended music isn't on the "Complete Recordings"? To me Houses of Healing is one of the most gorgeous cues in the entire work.

I'm not sure what you mean. The Complete Recordings sets DO contain all the music from the extended edition of the films, and the ROTK set isn't out until next year.

:) "Fangorn" from TTT:TCR. I love all this unused music!

I'm surprised you didn't know, Diskobulus. At the first mention of the possibility of these sets it was already made clear it would be all the music from the EEs. I think Shore already mentioned it back in 2002.