When you are feeling moody...

BurgaFlippinMan

I've been in the doldrums lately. Having problems with a girl so emotionally I've been quite a mess. Just curious, which scores do you play when you are feeling down, depressed and near suicidal?

Today I gave War of the Worlds a spin at nearly full volume, then I listened to the Terminal..which never fails to cheer me up. Been listening to it a lot lately...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ever need cheering up, you simply can't beat The Great Train Robbery (Goldsmith).

Other suggestions:

How the West Was Won main theme (A. Newman)

The Magnificent Seven (E. Bernstein)

The Producers Main Title (John Morris)

anything cheery by Bruce Broughton

Murder on the Orient Express "The Orient Express" (Bennett)

So sorry to hear about your problems...

I tend to gravitate towards austere and autumnal music in these situations, and find comfort in the confirmation of sorrow and sadness. "Angela's Ashes" and parts of "Stepmom" , perhaps, as far as Williams scores go. And for cheering up, "Parade of the Ewoks" and "The Forest Battle" always do it for me, as does the slave children march from ToD (concert version).

Hope you feel better, BurgaFlippinMan!

I actually think the best catharsis for sad times is to listen to really sad/beautiful music. I would give Angela's Ashes, Schindler's List, Accidental Tourist, Born on the Fourth of July a couple of listens.

However, where love is concerned, nothing makes more optmistic towards the future than Sabrina.

It depends. Sometimes, if you're feeling down, some cheerful music can simply be too cheerful, so you just end up getting angry with it (or is that just me? ;)), but some scores - like The Great Train Robbery - have just the right effect on me, when I'm feeling depressed.

:eek: The Jungle Book (Basil Poledouris)

When I'm depressed, I like to listen to equally depressing music. Se7en, King Arthur, Dark City, and other low/angry scores. :eek:

I listen to some moody and depressing stuff when I feel like this. From Williams I like to play "Schindler's List" or "Seven Years in Tibet". My trully favourite for such times is "Symetria" by Michal Lorenc (a Polish composer, my favourite next to JW)- it is so depressing, that whenever it is over I feel better.

In such a situation I've found "A New Beginning" from Minority Report to be of great emotional help :) It's not too joyous, or "detachedely" happy, but not depressing either. It has a great sense of quiet, low-key optimism, that helps to develop a feeling of "it will all turn out good in the end". It's my ultimate "cheer me up" cue for such times.

You can try one of William's Olympic themes. They never fail to cheer me up. I especially think the 1988 (Seoul, Korea) theme is the most emotionally positive (maybe not my favorite one musically, but very uplifiting).

I actually think the best catharsis for sad times is to listen to really sad/beautiful music.

Same here. I can't listen to uplifting, triumphant music when I'm sad. Whenever I'm really down, I reach for Herrmann's Echoes & Souvenirs de Voyage.

Jeff

If you want to wallow in your misery:

Schindler's List

Cast Away

Born on the Fourth of July

Seven Years in Tibet

If you want to attempt to cheer yourself up:

Home Alone

Hook

Temple of Doom

Edward Scissorhands

Good cheer-up music could be Chicken Run, Antz, Evolution... any John Powell score (except Face/Off... more depressing than cheery)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!:):wave:

So sorry to hear about your problems...

I tend to gravitate towards austere and autumnal music in these situations, and find comfort in the confirmation of sorrow and sadness. "Angela's Ashes" and parts of "Stepmom" , perhaps, as far as Williams scores go. And for cheering up, "Parade of the Ewoks" and "The Forest Battle" always do it for me, as does the slave children march from ToD (concert version).

Hope you feel better, BurgaFlippinMan!

Thanks. I'll give those a try. Never had a chance to listen to Angela's Ashes though. Anyway the worst is over, so I won't attempt to wallow in my misery. Its just that, the whole thing just plays back in my head out of the blue and I get these small occasional bouts of depression. Thats when The Terminal goes into the CD player. :) I've tried Catch Me if You Can, but somehow the sad bits on that CD touch a raw nerve occasionally. I'll probably try 1941 too...

However, where love is concerned, nothing makes more optmistic towards the future than Sabrina.

I'll give that shot later. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Burga - who really needs to somehow get more Goldsmith...

Edward Scissorhands

Really?

Listening to that score always puts me in a sombre and reflective mood...but I suppose the ending is quite uplifting.

Edward Scissorhands

Really?

Listening to that score always puts me in a sombre and reflective mood...but I suppose the ending is quite uplifting.

While Scissorhands certainly has its fair share of sad music, the finale always leaves me in a hopeful mood, which I suppose the film does as well.

Well I listened to Sabrina, and Superman: The Movie just now...feeling quite good. :)

Why don't you stay miserable for a while until you're bored with it and move on more naturally? If there's one thing far more useful than escaping pain, it's to face it.

Or so I've heard.

March from 1941 is a good one, or the berceuse and finale from Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. (I like the 1919 suite; the incomplete recording done for Disney's Fantasia 2000 is thoroughly enjoyable.)

I generally don't listen to much music when I'm moody, but I make a lot more of it. Lots of brooding minor-key improv on the piano with elements of Williams and even some Badelt. Gasp! ::puts on kevlar suit in preparation for flame war::

I think I've actually said this before, in a similar thread--

but when I'm in the doldrums, I tend to listen to either the A.I. soundtrack or else John Adams's Harmonielehre (mov. 3 in particular) and his Grand Pianola Music. In the car at night is the best place to listen to those pieces. And the music's phenomenally comforting.

Take it from me, from someone who's madly, deeply in love, at least on a platonic level -- not funny, I know -- by a sweet little fairy...

Sabrina.

Period.

It as all the right moods. And will change and grow along with you. Sometimes it will make you cry, sometimes it will make you laught.

Sometimes it will make you happy.

And as a very dear friend put it to me, one day, be it with this girl or not, you'll listen to Sabrina, and remember of this old love that still leaves in you heart.

Thanks for all the suggestions. And yes...Sabrina really is a wonderful score to listen to in this times. I'm feeling much better now. I've done all I can to save the relationship and I think its time for me to move on. The ball is in her court now. ROTFLMAO

Something by Goldsmith usually does the trick.

The Omen certainly didn't. ROTFLMAO

When I'm depressed, I like listen to scores..........Any scores.......But If I can advise you, here some scores you can listen to if you're really depressed :

Jurassic Park (John Williams)

HooK (John Williams)

Jaws 2 (terrifying, but not depressing) (John Williams)

Willow (James Horner)

The Mummy (Jerry Goldsmith)

Thanks for all the suggestions. And yes...Sabrina really is a wonderful score to listen to in this times. I'm feeling much better now. I've done all I can to save the relationship and I think its time for me to move on. The ball is in her court now. ROTFLMAO
Something by Goldsmith usually does the trick.

The Omen certainly didn't. ROTFLMAO

Try the title track from The Final Conflict.

The choice of composer depends of were our heart lives. For me, in dificult times, it has do be Johnny Williams.

My pick had to do with the case in point, being a love affair issue. And on that department, I surelly can go without big bombastic fanfares.

And the ball seems to be almost always on their field... you just wait, and wait, and wait a bit more, ane eventually, you went there, pick the ball, and sometimes, you bring the girl too -- but for that, I would go with The Raiders March :thumbup:

I like to brood.

The best composer to brood to is Mahler. Especially the fifth and sixth Symphonies. Or Kindertodtenlieder.

Anthony

I like to brood.

The best composer to brood to is Mahler. Especially the fifth and sixth Symphonies. Or Kindertodtenlieder.

I love the ninth.

I listen to the sixth when I'm really pissed off. The ninth is good for when you are just really feeling down, the music is consoling. The fifth starts off brooding but ends quite cheerfully, I don't listen to it when I'm in a bad mood.

Jeff

I think listening to sad music while sad is a recipe for disaster. The best thing I find is to listen to a track (or whole score) that graduates from a quiet, subtle beauty to joyous, great feelings. Examples - Escape/Chase/Saying goodbye (this works for me without fail, as it's not a quick fix - you have to listen to the whole thing), the last track of the CE3K Special Edition (those statements of "When You Wish Upon a Star" are breathtaking), among others.

Listening to sad music while sad is a relief for me, not a disaster. I can't even begin to explain why this is, but cheery, happy music pisses me off even more when I'm angry.

If I'm angry, I go with the action bits of Independence Day, Cutthroat Island, Eraser, Judge Dredd, The Mummy Returns, Volcano, or Van Helsing. The bigger and louder the better!

A good angry-destroy-everything track to listen to is "The Stranger are Tuning" from Dark City. That somehow evokes the anger I'm feeling sometimes and makes me feel better.

...you're right, that's pretty scary!

Saving Private Ryan is great also, but at least for me, for diferent times and situations.

It was actually the first time I've enjoyed the whole score...usually I get bored a few tracks in. This time though, I found the music wonderfully soothing and melancholy enough (but not overly sad) to provide some relief. :music: