Favorite Basil Poledouris score

Romão

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hunt for Red October

First one I got of his, and it has gotten the most playtime around here. I need to sit down and listen to some more of his other stuff I have.

- Marc, who needs a whole lot more Poledouris anyway. :(

Unfortunately, I am fairly unfamiliar with Poledouris, but I really love "The Jungle Book." It's the only Poledouris score I have on CD so far (I want to get "The Hunt for Red October"--excellent score). There are some really great themes on it: the main theme, a wonderful, somewhat noble motif; the gorgeous love theme, and two minor comic themes, one for the monkeys (it's amazing how he mimicks monkeys with the melody), and the humorously royal King Louis theme. The underscore is wonderful, with some great action cues, and it's just a great listen. It's easily one of the most beautiful scores I've ever heard. (I am actually working on an expanded album for this using the DVD--it's a shame there hasn't been one released already, as there is definitely some unused music there, and some really good stuff unreleased). It's out of print, but definitely worth searching out.

Conan the Barbarian, without a trace of a shadow of a doubt.

When I bought it in Munich some 7 years ago I was expecting a rough and coarse action score for an early Ah'hold film, filled with huge timpani and brass blasts. But the amazing thing is, though it does have that, that it is actually an incredible beautiful score, thematically lyrical and passionate, not an action no-brainer, but one of the best scores ever composed (not top 100 material, top 5 material).

I really enjoy his score to "Free Willy", which is followed closely by "Quigley Down Under". More obscure scores perhaps, but the melodies and orchestration are absolutely breathtaking. And I have performed the themes from "Free Willy" several times in concert-very effective outside of the film.

Starship Troopers (and the official CD is missing a lot of great music), The Hunt for Red October, Les Miserables and obviously Conan the Barbarian.

As Stefan said, despite Poledouris' great action writing, the real gems often are the more lyrical bits. Asteroid Grazing is my favourite bit from ST. Likewise, Theology/Civilization and The Search are Conan favourites.

Flesh+Blood is also great, obviously, and I like Kimberly a lot. I recently re-listened to Farewell to the King and found that it is very beautiful (instead of mostly boring, as I had remembered it).

Also, I loved the Wind and Quigley clips I've heard during these last few days, but I don't yet know the full scores.

Unfortunately, also, I am not all that familiar with a bunch of his scores (all though I have them...). I just recently pulled them all onto my iPod and listened. After hearing a few cues from a few of them, I'd have to say that (so far) I really enjoy Conan, For The Love of the Game, and Breakdown. I ADORE his It's My Party score. That is one that I have listened to numerous times (before his death).

Basil is a composer who never disappointed me with any of his scores (at least not with those I have heard yet). Conan, Red October, Starship Troopers but also his lesser known classics as Red Dawn, flesh & blood or under siege 2 have something great to offer and there are always some amazing themes. I love his music and I hope that after his death, labels will put out more expanded and premiere releases of his scores.

conan & robocop,

starship troopers is great in the film,

sad that the most interesting this board gets lately is when someone bites it.

yes there was an alignment of film composing genius that year, that hasn't been approached since.

Conan was also part of that amazing year of 1982, widely regarded by many as the best year for film music.

I agree, 1982 was a great year. Probably second to 1978, in my opinion.

I need to get Under Siege 2, I saw part of the film a while back, and it seemeed to have a heroic brass fanfare everytime Steven Seagal did....anything.

It's worth having for that brass fanfare theme alone. A lot of the action/suspense stuff is rather autopilot-poledouris but even that is very cool. There is also a complete version out there but I can't really recommend it. The album has most of the important stuff... and that brass theme just kicks ass.

Conan, E.T and Poltergeist alone make 1982 an exceptional year, but were there any more noteworthy scores?

Apart from those three - Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Monsignor, Frances, Hammett, First Blood, Inchon, The Secret of NIMH, Poltergeist, Victor/Victoria, The Thing. And I know a lot of people would add Blade Runner to that list.

Never heard the Wrath of Khan. Is it good?

What a confession. Well, it comes from a time when "horner-bashing" was still unknown to the world of film music and for many people this is one of horner's best. As far as I am concerned, I like it but the album could need an expansion and remastering.

Seriously ;) Never been much into Star Trek. The only Star Trek score I´ve heard is TMP.

It's not as good as The Motion Picture, but it's quite close. It's the second-best Trek score, and without a doubt the best film.

Merkel's credibility just went into negative territory, I wonder if those toggle people he works for know.

You can't blame anyone for ignorance, just stupidity.

you can correct this, its a terrific score as is its companion piece Star Trek III the Search for Spock which features the greatest piece of Star Trek music ever,

I don't get why "The Enterprise" is considered the best cue of the score. ;) I like it, but there are other tracks I like more - "Ilia's Theme", "Main Title", "Klingon Battle", "Leaving Drydock", "The Cloud", "V'Ger Flyover", "The Force Field", "Spock Walk"...

You can't blame anyone for ignorance, just stupidity.

you can correct this, its a terrific score as is its companion piece Star Trek III the Search for Spock which features the greatest piece of Star Trek music ever,

I´ll try to give it a listen, you all got me intrigued now.

Conan the Barbarian is my favorite BP score. I used to listen to Hunt for Red October quite a bit, but haven't in years. I need to put it back on.

Better than The Enterprise?

Wow.

I need to get Search for Spock.

The piece Joe is referring too is not better then The Enterprise!

But coupled with that particular scene it does make for a brief, but perfect piece of star Trek.

Don't buy Search For Spock expecting it to be better then TPM, it's very, very good, but not THAT good.

Better than The Enterprise?

Wow.

I need to get Search for Spock.

- Marc, who'll listen to Hunt for Red October some more later tonight.

no Marc, not better than Enterprise, which is as an entire que untouchable,

Im talking about that part in Stealing the Enterprise which I call Hymn to Captain Kirk when he tells the

crew he and Dr McCoy have to do this the rest of you do not. Starts at the 3:12 mark to 3:49 mark.

Brilliant, as is the whole 8+ min track.