Sign in to follow this  
Justin

A Song of Ice and Fire

Anyone reading this series by George R.R. Martin? I've been working my way through book one for the last several months and find it fantastic. The book has an incredible sense of character depth, political intrigue, and solid storylines. The biggest problem is that it's so incredibly long I feel like it will be quite an acomplishment if I finish the series in my lifetime.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Justin

I've been working through this for the past couple months and finished the third book the other day. It's a good read so far. The language isn't over-flowery, but it's well written.

ttbk, who thought this thread was going to be about a film adaptation...

The whole book series thusfar is excellent. I find it the best fantasy written in a long time. I read the series fast as I found it impossible to let the books out of my hands. This also means I did not find them too long ;)

Martin's characters are very well written with such great depth and that is perhaps the greatest single thing in the series. The plot is intriguing and very interesting and keeps you at the edge of your seat all the time. The idea of writing each chapter from different character's point of view is a brilliant idea and it gets more complex in the later novels where he adds a new twist to it. The world is believable and rooted more to medieval Europe than fantasy but there are these little hints at the more mystical and magical things behind the scenes and the deep history Martin's world has. What can I say. I was very impressed with the complexity of the great story Martin has created. I am waiting anxiously the latest installment in the series.

By chance I came upon this thread.....I just finished reading the first book a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was terrific. Frustrating, obviously, but in a strangely satisfying way. Loved the characters, thought Martin did a better job than most at really creating a world. Quite engrossing, and the chapters make it very easy to read (I'm one of the many who find starting chapter without being able to finish it in the same sitting to be very annoying).

I've noticed that too.

This is why Morlock has little credibility left IMO.

Well, maybe he goes too far by saying it's "easily the best", but Morlock likes his stuff for a reason.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna start reading these books or watching Rome though.

Has it ever occured to you people that I generally choose to see things I love, and that I am most vocal about them?

Morlock- who watches movies dozens of times, so he will often come across something that is easily the best in a particular way

Morlock2- who can think of very few cases when he's said 'easily the best' about something that he wouldn't agree with now

Morlock3- who has only read about 3 fantasy series, so this one could quite understandably be the best of the lot

You just say everything you've just watched/seen is "easily the best" when you like it. I'll ask you again in a few weeks.

Been re-reading the series this past month. Still easily the best fantasy I've read. It's exhaustive in creating it's world, without ever being excessivly analytical. I hope they don't make that mini-series, as this thing would need an LOTR budget level, and a hell of a lot more time to present all it's different story threads. I just hope to god that Martin manages to complete the series. Three books left, and he's been stuck on the fifth one forever.

(I'm one of the many who find starting chapter without being able to finish it in the same sitting to be very annoying).

Hey, I thought I was the only one. I like to have start and stop points. I can't just stop reading in the middle of a chapter, I need some type of closure.

[..] Three books left, and he's been stuck on the fifth one forever.

That's exactly the point I stopped reading the series. I can't take the possibility he won't finish it. On his blog he writes about football and other stuff... He should be forced into prison just for finishing his excellent style of writing on epic scales ;).

Edit:

If you like his book I suggest you look for Patrick Rothfuss "The name of the wind"; book 2 will come this April; I could not leave this book until finished (10h of power reading a day ;P )