What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

Has anyone else here found their novel reading to be badly diminished ever since the internet and its wealth of fascinating/informative and readily digestible reading effectively became 'on-tap'? I used to always read books, but not anymore. Not for years.

Has anyone else here found their novel reading to be badly diminished ever since the internet and its wealth of fascinating/informative and readily digestible reading effectively became 'on-tap'? I used to always read books, but not anymore. Not for years.

Yep, absolutely.

I go through about 1.5-2 average sized books every week. The biggest thing that's helped eliminate the Internet distraction is moving reading to the first thing in the morning. I'll wake up about 2 hours before I need to start getting ready for work, have breakfast/coffee/tea and spend the two hours just reading. Novels, non-fiction/history/science whatever.

It's quite peaceful and meditative in those early hours. Unfortunately it's bumped exercise into the evening...its a lot more tough to focus/stay dedicated at the end of the day...

But on the flip side, it's tough to get distracted by the Internet on a run or in the swimming pool.

My work schedule drains me much of the time and I don't really use the time I have to read. I'm up sometimes at 5:30am and get back around 7pm. By the time I unwind, catch up on news, listen to some music, maybe watch some Netflix, eat, etc, I just don't feel up to it.

But do any of you would like to read more books? I definitely would want to.

Oh yes, very very much. I have many books already purchased I want to read but simply haven't.

Between work, wedding planning, honeymoon planning, tv, movies, the 3 other weddings / bachelor parties we have this year, my other hobbies, and house hunting... who has time?

Someday I'll get back to it.

Knocking out news has done wonders for my mental health and free time. Would highly recommend. If there's valuable news you won't miss it anyway.

This!

Not so much the internet, that's just a general distraction. What often keeps me from reading books is TV shows, because there's just too many good ones these days and they often occupy the time slots I'd otherwise use for reading.

What often keeps me from reading books is TV shows, because there's just too many good ones these days and they often occupy the time slots I'd otherwise use for reading.

Yup.

What often keeps me from reading books is TV shows, because there's just too many good ones these days and they often occupy the time slots I'd otherwise use for reading.

Yep

I used to squeeze in a book a week at work before it started to be frowned upon. Since that I haven't read anything. When I'm at home the urge to listen to music, watch movies, or play games is greater.

I don't watch news anymore. It's been one of my better choices. I've finished reading the Hot Zone (about Ebola), rushed, the dead key... I'll look and see if there are any others.

Because our lives aren't enriched by knowing a squirrel died on the side of the street in Vancouver or if Miley Cyrus ate the squirrel or if a bearded woman won some singing competition. If something is worth knowing and relevant to your life, you can be guaranteed you'll hear about it without watching the news. Information gets filtered and custom catered to you by the time you get it, and the crap gets sliced right out.

Because our lives aren't enriched by knowing a squirrel died on the side of the street in Vancouver or if Miley Cyrus ate the squirrel or if a bearded woman won some singing competition.

On which channel did you watch the news?

Because our lives aren't enriched by knowing a squirrel died on the side of the street in Vancouver or if Miley Cyrus ate the squirrel or if a bearded woman won some singing competition. If something is worth knowing and relevant to your life, you can be guaranteed you'll hear about it without watching the news. Information gets filtered and custom catered to you by the time you get it, and the crap gets sliced right out.

This logic only applies if you think the common everyday person only needs to know what the big, world changing stories are.

But how else would you know what's going on in your local jurisdiction? Or any of the major decisions that the public sector makes that aren't widely reported in mainstream press but they have a significant influence on your way of living? Much of this is reported more in the trade press or the Australian Financial Review (or your national equivalent).

This logic only applies if you think the common everyday person only needs to know what the big, world changing stories are.

But how else would you know what's going on in your local jurisdiction? Or any of the major decisions that the public sector makes that aren't widely reported in mainstream press but they have a significant influence on your way of living? Much of this is reported more in the trade press or the Australian Financial Review (or your national equivalent).

In what world do you live in where local issues affecting local people don't come up in daily conversations between....LOCAL people?

Oh right Australia, where every single one of you lives three hours from the next!

The news is half an hour max on the main channel at 8.

Dont watch CNN or Fox News all day. You'll go mad

I'd rather talk to people for that 30 minutes and hear anything outstanding from them. Then I'll go READ about it!

Hell, consider this, rather than ever visiting jwfan.com I choose to converse with you fools instead!

I have yet to miss a single valuable JW news piece. And I have managed to dodge every other tiny news piece about how some no name composer in no name city USA is conducting a JW concert! Or LaLaLand reissuing 1941! Who cares!

I get all the news I need from Marcy, coworkers, the internet, and podcast. I would never sit down and purposely watch the news while not doing anything else