What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

• 2 months later...

The Book of Lost Tales I

This had the potential to be an uninteresting slog of an info dump, or an overly childlike telling. Well it isn't. It actually gives life and character to the period that's portrayed a bit too distant, foggy and compressed for my taste in the Silmarillion, and that I always wanted to know more about. Loved it all the way through! The one bit I'm not yet totally sold on is the framing device called Eriol. I'll be interested to find out how his story ends, and whether it had any real point to it other than him being the first Man in England that at this point was still 1:1 Tol Eressëa.

Also looking forward to that weird Cat-Sauron thing I heard about in Pt.II.

34 minutes ago, Fal said:

IIRC the Eriol was never really finished

Thanks for the spoiler for 100 year old writings :P

I read A Night to Remember. It was nice to read it because of its status among Titanic books and its importance in the history of the whole thing but there are better books available these days. I have The Night Lives on on the go at the moment among a couple of other books 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, crocodile said:

About to start reading this. It's supposed to be a more honest account. We'll see...

IMG_20180514_200621165_HDR.jpg

Karol

Funny, I just cracked this open last night (well, as much as you can crack a Kindle open). 

Let's have a book club!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly making my way through this book from my local library as I continue my deep dive into the works and writings of Copland

41Zpls-jS6L._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He's really a wonderful writer, Copland.  Very conversational and easygoing in his style.

Trio from Patrick Rothfuss:

The Name of the Wind

The Wise Man's Fear

The Slow Regard of Silent Things, a novella

A great new find for me. Rothfuss writes fantasy with great lyricism and his love of language and words really shines through. His descriptions of music and music making are some of the most fascinating I have ever read. The Wise Man's Fear, the second part of The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy, does have a bit meandering quality to it, which I hope isn't an indication Game of Thrones styled world building wanderings that do not advance the plot. Looking forward to the volume three The Doors of Stone which has been in the making for nearly 7 years now.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Trio from Patrick Rothfuss:

The Name of the Wind

The Wise Man's Fear

The Slow Regard of Silent Things, a novella

A great new find for me. Rothfuss writes fantasy with great lyricism and his love of language and words really shines through. His descriptions of music and music making are some of the most fascinating I have ever read. The Wise Man's Fear, the second part of The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy, does have a bit meandering quality to it, which I hope isn't an indication Game of Thrones styled world building wanderings that do not advance the plot. Looking forward to the volume three The Doors of Stone which has been in the making for nearly 7 years now.

I read The Name of the Wind years ago and I really liked it.  I know I started The Wise Man's Fear but I don't think I finished it and for the life of me I can't remember why.

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Just finished this. Very enjoyable and informative! 

Also read this:

A3B3D141-75F9-4B2A-B05C-B32964DDBE53.png

C1309AA6-F7AB-413E-8A8C-1A7C135FDB75.jpeg

Its all wrong. He wasn't dead he was undead!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the Hobbit Facsimile First Edition, will start after I finish Book of Lost Tales II.

Figured it'd be the perfect place to (finally) start reading Tolkien in the original English.

Looking forward to Gollum giving up his Precious out of the goodness of his heart because rules are rules.

22 hours ago, Richard said:

Joein, do you really want to read a book that's been recommended by Jeremy Vine?!

You don't know do you. I am really Jeremy Vine. Between Stefan, Lee, and Wojo we comprise 64% of the active posters on this forum using rotating IP addresses to harbour our multiple accounts.

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Fucking hell, imagine how much time Steef spends on here if he posts as other people too! The man is a machine!

Stefan, you crack me up.

Book of Lost Tales II

Definitely prefer the first one, but this still had a lot of interesting things to offer - the early Beren and Lúthien and of course a much more detailed and complete Fall of Gondolin are the most noteworthy.

With me not quite haing figured my work routine and day layout yet, progress with the English first edition of The Hobbit is slower than I would like, but I'm already enjoying it much more than I ever did the second Hungarian translation. The style is so entertainingly English, I guess it'd be very hard to get across.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:56 PM, Richard said:

Since you're all going to die,anyway, why not tell you? Stefan is really...

Stefan is really....

....aaarrrrggh.

• 3 weeks later...

Prussian Blue, Philip Kerr

the penultimate Bernie Gunther. There's one more, Beware of Greeks, typical Bernie though by now I was marvelling at Kerr's ability by now to fit Gunther into the fabric of the Third Reich (such is the length of the series and how much was established in the first trio of books). I then google and to my surprise, great surprise, see that Philip Kerr died in March of this year. Great shame.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently read The Master of Doom, which is about the creators of the hit video game "Doom".  I generally don't give a shit about video games/video game culture but this was a really enjoyable read for the "building a business from the ground up" aspect. 

No  i do not mean by Camus. Im talking about King, who incidentally is a superior writer.

I read George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones during my vacation. It was quite good. I got a box set with all five books, so I'm curious to see how the books differ from the TV show as I move into the next books. The first season is actually pretty faithful.

Since getting back though, I've been reading J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars, which I got for my birthday. It's a fantastic book, even if it's a little dry sometimes. I've already ordered the Making of books for ESB and RotJ and look forward to working my way through those as well.

I finished listening to Ian Kershaw’s Hitler last night. Amazing book. It was about 46 hours long or something crazy like that but a fascinating insight into one of the most evil men in history. It’s almost a study in how a modern sophisticated society can be sucked into damnation by one man. 

It’d make you worried about Trump if he wasn’t a total fucking idiot. 

Damian Lynch was the narrator and he was excellent.