What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

Just finished Fight Club.

I don't know if I prefer the novel or the film. The film is pretty much a more cohesive telling of the same events.

Yea, basically.

Gonna read any more Palahniuk next?

Just read em in publishing order. Survivor would be next, and is awesome

Cold Fall a James Bond adventure by John Gardner. I got a couple others written by him. Can't say that I'm in a hurry to read them.

all four Dean Koontz Frankenstein novels, fun but very light. will start Dark Matter by Peter Straub. He's a difficult author for me to read but I will survive.

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

This was superb. Finally, a book that I enjoyed more than the film. Not to knock the film, it's amazing how Gilliam and everyone adapted this to the screen. I just feel the narrative works better on paper.

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

This was really good. I was surprised as to how visual Lehane's prose was. Very detailed, but not to a point where it hurts the story. Better experience than the film, I'd say, but the end was slightly different.

The superb line, "Is it better to live as a monster or die as a hero?" was sadly not in the book. Kudos to the screenwriter on that one.

This is the 4th Grisham novel that I've read and I really liked it. It keeps you hooked through from the beginning. The beginning is very eerie and the story just keeps picking up from there. I haven't seen the movie, but I can't imagine it coming close to the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Star Trek Lives! Personal Notes and Anecdotes by Jacqueline Lichtenberg, Sondra Marshak and Joan Winston. It is kind of interesting, considering it was written in 1975.

Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, no where near as good as there previous works.

next

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

He admittedly did not want to write that second Trek novel and the story struggled because of that. I will give his other Trek book a try if I have it.

heck i just noticed that the spanish version of pirate latitudes has been in print here for over a year, and next week they release he paperback (the version i buy).

I had never seen this book in 'new releases' in any store :conf:

I just completed Timeline by Michael Crichton, after reading a very Crichton-like book in Warren Fahy's Fracture. I enjoyed Timeline very much, but I know the film is garbage, and I read the Wikipedia synopsis just to make sure. Fracture would make a splendid flick.

• 1 month later...

The Secret Of The Unicorn, The Crab With The Golden Claws, and Red Rackham's Treasure. Overall I was surprised by how light and easy they were, and also by sometimes how much can happen from one panel to the next. I really can't wait to see some of the situations shown in motion.

The Secret Of the Unicorn was fun! My introduction to the world of Tintin. Was surprised to see that Snowy talks (Though, I guess it was just thought bubbles?) The Thompson/Thomson twins were pretty funny. The best part was Haddock re-enacting Sir Francis's story. I enjoyed Tintin solving the mystery, figuring out everything going on. I especially enjoyed his ingenuity in breaking out of his cell by hoisting a heavy wooden beam up on a hook and smashing the wall with it. Its funny how the whole story is basically going back and forth in Tintin's home town, no big globe trotting adventure here. But it was fun!

The Crab With The Golden Claws: I was struck by how similar it was the Secret of the Unicorn! Tintin gets kidnapped again, and has to escape again. Thompson and Thomson fall down, smack into things, and are after the wrong criminals again. Haddock gets drunk again :P It was cool to see Tintin and Haddock meet, and their adventure escaping from his ship on boat, then transferring to the plane, then crashing in the desert was very fun. Solving the actual mystery of the drug smugglers wasn't as interesting as the Unicorn's parchments, etc. But still a fun read. Oh, and I greatly enjoyed the handful of pages that were one huge panel, something I missed in the other two books I read.

Red Rackham's Treasure: What a strange story! Essentially, almost nothing happens for large sections. Half the book seemed to be them continually diving down for the treasure and coming back up with either rum or nothing at all. I did quite enjoy the parrots that spoke like Haddock, and that they got to bring back the Unicorn's masthead and Sir Francis statue to Marlinspike Hall. Professor Calculus was also a real hoot! I loved his little shark submarine, but also his hard-of-hearing feature and how much that annoyed Haddock. Can't wait to see him brought to life in future Tintin movies.

Very much looking forward to these three stories being brought to life this winter actually - I watched the trailers after reading the books and enjoyed seeing scenes I recognized as well as scenes I didn't. Should be interesting to see how they adapted it. Also looking forward to reading more Tintin books!

The last book i read was... I think "The Secret of the Unicorn" ("Het Geheim van de Eenhoorn"). But that's more like a comic than a real book. Then, the last book i read would be "Ranger's Apprentice: Oakleaf Bearers".

Oh, and I greatly enjoyed the handful of pages that were one huge panel, something I missed in the other two books I read.

Those are pretty cool. They were drawn specifically for the book version. The Tintin stories were originally published one page at a time in a magazine. When it came time to issue The Crab with the Golden Claws as a book, the story came up short a few pages, so it was filled out with the full-page illustrations.

The opposite happened with Tintin and the Picaros, which was one page too long and was cut down for its book release.

Alas. There's some pretty big illustrations in the Destination Moon/Explorers on the Moon two-parter though and King Ottokar's Sceptre has a four-page travel guide to a fictional country. :)

Notice though, how you can skip the full-page panels without missing a single story beat. That said, they do add a great feeling of scope when reading the book and are gorgeous to look at.

I read The Nazi Conscience, a book that tries to explain how a modern country could have accepted genocide...basically how the Nazis and the Germans could sleep at night. Very interesting, but pretty disturbing.

Alas. There's some pretty big illustrations in the Destination Moon/Explorers on the Moon two-parter though and King Ottokar's Sceptre has a four-page travel guide to a fictional country. :)

Notice though, how you can skip the full-page panels without missing a single story beat. That said, they do add a great feeling of scope when reading the book and are gorgeous to look at.

They not only add scope, but slow the story down a bit too. Sometimes so much happens on a single page because the panels or so small, and because sometimes he draws the setup of a situation and the outcome without necessarily drawing the steps between, so its nice to take a minute to breath, and enjoy a full page of art with no dialogue... stops your brain from just moving on and seeing what's next, and taking in the atmosphere.

I just completed Timeline by Michael Crichton, after reading a very Crichton-like book in Warren Fahy's Fracture. I enjoyed Timeline very much, but I know the film is garbage, and I read the Wikipedia synopsis just to make sure. Fracture would make a splendid flick.

The film garbage? It is one of the best Hollywood films I have ever seen.

I just finished The Memory Game by Nicci French. A well-written drama/thriller that makes you think about the way people create their memories. Never dull, but it takes till the end before some things are starting to clear up and the end is too 'constructed', or out of the blue.

Any opinions?

Im in the middle of Pirate Latitudes.

I suppose not everyone here found the depiction of the spaniards a little over the top, stereotypical and beyond redemption (just to make them evil so the reader dislikes them as the badguys they are?) ;)

Nice touch Crichton reused his ficticious island 'Matanceros' from TLW las Cinco Muertes...but its placed on the other side of the american continent...

I've started re-reading the Potter books. I finished SS yesterday and I'm about to start on COS. I'm also reading Dexter in the Dark at the same time...I took advantage of Borders' closing sales and bought the next three books in that series. Neither series - Potter or Dexter - is fine literature by any means, but they're certainly entertaining, albeit in vastly different ways.

I started The Girl Who Played With Fire. So far, much better than the previous book. The first half of Dragon Tattoo was boring and slow to start. Since all of that set-up is out of the way, this one is quick to get underway.

Im in the middle of Pirate Latitudes.

I suppose not everyone here found the depiction of the spaniards a little over the top, stereotypical and beyond redemption (just to make them evil so the reader dislikes them as the badguys they are?) ;)

Nice touch Crichton reused his ficticious island 'Matanceros' from TLW las Cinco Muertes...but its placed on the other side of the american continent...

That one is still waiting on my shelf.

I've started re-reading the Potter books. I finished SS yesterday and I'm about to start on COS. I'm also reading Dexter in the Dark at the same time...I took advantage of Borders' closing sales and bought the next three books in that series. Neither series - Potter or Dexter - is fine literature by any means, but they're certainly entertaining, albeit in vastly different ways.

As far as I'm concerned, HP is fine literature. I've never been so engaged by a book series.

• 1 month later...

I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire a little while ago. Started off intriguing, then dipped to some boring stuff for a couple hundred pages, picked up for the end, and then... ended. Haven't started Hornet's Nest yet to see if it picks up right where it left off, but books shouldn't end on this big of a cliffhanger.