The Princess Bride

Maestro

I've always loved this score. The guitar solo is just gorgeous and so romantic. But I feel like the score suffers from being so synth-y. The main theme, and also tracks like "Guide My Sword," would sound so good with a full orchestra.

Does anyone know if an orchestra has ever recorded music from this film? If not, does anyone have an orchestra and would like to record music from this film? That would be a good idea.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always loved this score. The guitar solo is just gorgeous and so romantic. But I feel like the score suffers from being so synth-y. The main theme, and also tracks like "Guide My Sword," would sound so good with a full orchestra.

Does anyone know if an orchestra has ever recorded music from this film? If not, does anyone have an orchestra and would like to record music from this film? That would be a good idea.

Come up with a $100,000 and you might be able to get it recorded.

According to IMDB Mark Knopfler wrote the score for it, so I guess so.

This is another favorite movie of mine. I don't see how anyone can't like this film.

Edit: You can order the CD for it at Amazon.

I own the soundtrack. But I wanted to know if there were any orchestral recordings of the music - even just like a suite.

I've always hated the synth in that score, especially during the Inigo/Westley sword fight. The guitar stuff is beautiful, but the rest kills me.

Ozzel - who finds the synth music to be the only weak link in that film

I saw the film for the first time over the summer, and I was really thrown off by all the snyth. Definitely some poor judgment...I don't particularly recall the guitar music people have mentioned, but I imagine it's better than the 80s video game sounding electronic material.

Ray Barnsbury

I would love to record this with live orchestra- if I can get the rights to it. Maybe I'll do a suite of it next year with the local orchestra and my guitarist friend. A great score, even with the synthesizer....

I'm not an elitist synth-hating snob. I'm one of the few bastions of support for ol' Hans Zimmer. And I've always loved this score; I didn't even really notice the synth that much till fairly recently. But now it sticks out - in a bad way. The score has so much potential, thematically; I just think it could really use an orchestra.

Here we are again, slamming electronics. Is there a word for people that are prejudiced against instruments? This board seems to have that in spades!

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm willing to accept electronic sounds in cases where they do a better job than acoustic ones. The ones in The Princess Bride don't. They sound dated and rather cheesy, effectively covering up whatever merit the music might have. To call us prejudiced against synths is like calling the vast majority of people I know prejudiced against orchestral instruments. If they don't like 'em, they don't like 'em. Understanding that dislike may be very difficult, but to each his own, you know? A lot of us who are used to hearing acoustic instruments are disappointed when 20-year-old synthesized ones try to do the job.

Damn! Here we are again, slamming electronics. Is there a word for people that are prejudiced against instruments? This board seems to have that in spades!

No I like electronics, but there are few composers in my opinion who can use them correctly.

I like electronics when they're used constructively, i.e. as another instrument. I hate electronics when they're used as substitutes for real instruments - like a synth pretending to be a cello or trumpet.

I agree with the indeed!

The synth music has always driven me nuts in TPB. It draws far too much attention to itself and pulls me out of the film every time I watch. I dare say that I think the score is in... wait for it... dire straights. (runs from the inevitable tomato tossing)

Mark Knofler is my greatest musical idol after John Williams, so I d hold this score in a special place in my heart. I also love Wag the Dog, Call and Local Hero. Never heard Last Exit to Brooklyn nor Metroland.

Put me in agreement with the agreement to the indeed to the...whatever. Synth belongs in classic video games, not film scores.

:)

Are you saying that synths have no place in film scores?

No no no no no. I enjoy electronic effects Goldsmith-style as much as anybody. There just shouldn't be nothing but synths replacing an entire orchestra. Basically what you said at the start, rob.

I like electronics when they're used constructively, i.e. as another instrument. I hate electronics when they're used as substitutes for real instruments - like a synth pretending to be a cello or trumpet.

:music:

You hit the nail right on the head. The only excuse I can see for doing that is in budget (which I don't think would be an excuse in this case) and even then, depending on the movie, you should seriously consider changing the compositional style so as not to be quite so orchestral.

There are 101 ways to get round a low music budget, none of which involve pretending synths are the real orchestral instruments. TV shows in the 1950s had miniscule music budgets, meaning they could only afford 5 or 6 instruments. The result? Some very inventive and exciting music for small musical groups.

Here we are again, slamming electronics. Is there a word for people that are prejudiced against instruments? This board seems to have that in spades!

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm willing to accept electronic sounds in cases where they do a better job than acoustic ones. The ones in The Princess Bride don't. They sound dated and rather cheesy, effectively covering up whatever merit the music might have. To call us prejudiced against synths is like calling the vast majority of people I know prejudiced against orchestral instruments. If they don't like 'em, they don't like 'em. Understanding that dislike may be very difficult, but to each his own, you know? A lot of us who are used to hearing acoustic instruments are disappointed when 20-year-old synthesized ones try to do the job.

I can understand that you might not like "cheesy" sounding electronics, but that could very well have been what the point of the score was. Everything else in the film is a parody. Why not the score?

I think that saying many people here are prejudiced against them would be very accurate. There are many who dismiss a score simply because it's got a lot of elecronics, not even giving it a chance because of the instruments involved. I can't think of another group of instruments that's attacked so blatantly and so often.

But, in any case, I am very much a fan of accoustic instruments, but that doesn't mean that experimentation should be avoided at all costs. I once saw a thread at this site which was related to the Rambo scores. One poster said they liked the score to the first one best because it had the least electronics. You may not be prejudiced against them, but some people here are!

I don't think the score hurts the film or distracts. It actually seems to fit for whatever reason (maybe it is the whole parody element). So no complaints there. But as a listening experience, I just think it could transcend its current beauty and be something truly magnificent.

• 14 years later...