Angela's Ashes

tpigeon

What do you think of the Angela's Ashes score?  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• truly phenomenal! a great score
    • it's good, but nothing special
    • ok score, below avg. for Williams
    • i own it, but regret buying it

i jsut want to see what people's reactions to this score are, since it is rarely discussed on this board. personally, i think it is a beautiful piece of music, that really proves Williams' versatility and maturity as a composer. i think it is a gem of a score that is oft neglected by the typical John Williams fan. some of my favorite tracks are Angela's Ashes, My Story, Angela's Prayer, and of course, the absolutely amazing Back to America.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A absolute masterpiece! I love it so much. Along with Schindler's List, it's my favorite score from the 90's.

It has this Vaughan Williams sound, wich I deeply love. Yet, it remains being Williams. The solos are so delicate... the all orchestration so perfect. All the emotional charge of the novel is there -- forget the film, Williams went here for is passion for McCourt book. In fact, I remeber reading that Williams asked his agents to get the film for him to score, no matter what. Williams knew the novel and was in love with it. And I can add that hte film is faithful to the original.

I belive that that love was the major reason for the inclusion narration on the Sony release, wich I can say I prefer to the one without narration on Decca.

I just hope Williams record the suite with narration he played at the Pops, with Frank McCourt doing the narration himself.

It's a masterpiece. One of Williams' best works. As you say, it proves Williams' maturity. I fell in love with it the first time I listened to it.

I love the use of the piano and harp.

My favorite track is, undoubtedly, Angela's Prayer.

Yeah, tpigeon, people don't talk very much about it.

It has dialogue? Why?

I don't know why. Perhaps because it's a good way to tell the story, or whatever reason. The question would be: why our edition has no dialogue, and the US one does.

There are more soundtracks of this kind, for example, Blade Runner.

It unfortunately overshadows Williams's superior masterpieces of 1998, Saving Private Ryan and Stepmom, the latter of which has gotten a bad rap from just about everyone I've talked to except for the infrequently present Dan/Director, the conspicuously absent and much-missed Roald, and the long-departed Frank Lehman.

the infrequently present Dan/Director, the conspicuously absent and much-missed Roald, and the long-departed Frank Lehman.

Indeed, does anyone have some news about them ?

Great Master Uni, are you there ?

Absolutely love it! Also a good example of that rare occasion where there is actually more score on the album than in the film!

I challenge anyone that doesn't feel moved by the wonderful 'Back To America'. It's always a treat to let Williams take control of a finale!

Mmmm, sounds like a good poll, Williams best closing musical moment?

Nedless to say, ET would win hands down. And rightly so!!!!

Hilaroo, Stepmom is a fantastic score! A perfect musical journey that causes one to reflect, relax and ultimately feel at one with themselves.

:music: '1960's: The Turbulent Years' from 'Nixon'

It's a great score, I find one of Williams' strongest.....ever. While I understand why it didn't pick up an Oscar that year (actually I don't but it sounds mature to say that) the music on its own is as melodic as any concert piece I've heard. There is so much thematic diversity and variation on the disc it simply transcends any visual or narrative reference. It oft reminds me of Williams' scoring tendencies of the '70's where the music was so good and strong it could stand on its own as a soundtrack. I'd have to say that Angela's Ashes will remain as one of my all time Williams' favorites.

And I agree that it exceeds Minority Report and Attack of the CLones, at least as pure music.

It's a great score, I find one of Williams' strongest.....ever.  While I understand why it didn't pick up an Oscar that year (actually I don't but it sounds mature to say that)

I'm not sure anyone could "understand" completely any of the decisions by the Academy, but I think Corigliano's score was very much deserving.

i personally think Angela's Ashes should have won the Oscar. i was wholly unimpressed with The Red Violin, both the movie and the score.

i personally think Angela's Ashes should have won the Oscar. i was wholly unimpressed with The Red Violin, both the movie and the score.

Wholly unimpressed? Even Joshua Bell's virtuosic performance proved underwhelming to you?

there were some redeeming aspects. but overall i thought it uninteresting and too "arty." the violin solo by Joshua Bell was one of those redeeming aspects, but if the movie would have concentrated on the important things, rather than constantly reminding me how artful it was, than it would have been alright, maybe. i hope that made sense. that may have come out wrong.

I loved The Red Violin, both film and score. And as much as I love Angela's Ashes (also both film and score), I can agree that the Oscar was in good hands, as it was given to John Corigliano, a great composer, by the way. But at my heart, I would loved much more that the award would went to Mr. Williams.

I do like the red violin, although on the CD the best track is the last one, the chacone which isn't in the film at all as it uses the whole orchestra. However, I wanted Williams to win it for Angela's Ashes.

As for Stepmom.... Hlao-Roo.... I love that score and I have always defended it.

I am sorry I have not read the book nor seen the film yet, definitely have to bring it up on my list... but as such I listened to the Sony OST and I was out of there pretty quickly. The music-narration-music didn't work for me, maybe if he had created a concert suite with narration I would have appreciated that. But I would like to hear the music on its own, too, even if I didn't emotionally connect with it the first time.

I don't think Corigliano's Red Violin was undeserving of the Oscar- the music simply didn't do anything for me. I think the score for Angela's Ashes is beautiful on its own. I think that Williams really connected with the story and produced one of his most moving scores of all time.

I was happy that Corigliano was awarded the Oscar. I much prefer his concert works and ALtered States to his score for Red Violin. I'm not sure why, but the theme just doesn't grab me.

I think I prefer "The Red Violin" score to the "Angela's Ashes" score. :pukeface:

The way the thematic material moves throughout the film, binding the five stories together, is quite remarkable. It had me hooked with the opening credits music, and never faltered from there.

"Angela's Ashes," on the other hand, has some moving moments, but doesn't connect with the film the way "The Red Violin" does. Yes, I know a score in a film about music obviously has a chance to connect more with the images and feelings, but Corigliano did that better than has been done before ("The Piano" and "Fiddler on the Roof" come to mind).

Plus, I went to a discussion/screening of the film where Corigliano was present, and hearing him go into immense depth about the score aided my appreciation of his work.

Its good, but its HARDLY among Williams' best.

What gives you the right to make this assertion? Isn't Williams' best in the ear of the beholder? Musically, it's as solid is anything i've heard him compose in the last 30 years.

What gives you the right to make this assertion?  Isn't Williams' best in the ear of the beholder?  Musically, it's as solid is anything i've heard him compose in the last 30 years.

If you make random compilations of Williams cues you like best,wathever when it was composed,,his signature orchestrations,have all the dinstinct Williamas sound.Sometimeses it can only be one cue off the album(back to america,angela's ashes,New Beginning,MR...)

K.m.

Rogue Leader has as much right to his opinion as you have to yours.

Stefancos-  :angry:

Ah, but Rogue Leader made a proclamation "it's hardly Williams' best". I whole heartedly believe everyone has a right to their opinion. As long as they articulate that it is only THEIR OPINION rather than making blatant proclamations about art or music or literature.

Rogue Leader has as much right to his opinion as you have to yours.

Stefancos-  :angry:

Ah, but Rogue Leader made a proclamation "it's hardly Williams' best". I whole heartedly believe everyone has a right to their opinion. As long as they articulate that it is only THEIR OPINION rather than making blatant proclamations about art or music or literature.

I think we can safely assume that when someone writes down such a sentence he is speaking of his owen personal opinion.

No need to put the phrase "IMO" in the sentence every time out of fear that some one might misinterpret what you are saying.

Stefancos- :angry:

It might not be what he likes as a Williams score but he can;t say it isn't one of his best. It's like me saying Swan Lake is not one of Tchaikovsky's best Ballets. I might not like it, but I can't say it isn't one of his best. That quote would mean you are talking musically, thematically, etc etc etc.. Like he cut corners in his composition and just rushed through it. It is in fact a very deep and well thought out and composed score. He might not like it and that is more than fine, but you can't say it isn't one of his best. At least I don;t think you can.

i can't believe the amount of positive feedback in this poll. i didn't think that many people liked the score as muhc as the poll shows. it's quite skewed right now. i just hope more people vote.

Usually, I try to distinguish between my "favorite" scores and the scores I attempt to hold objectively as the "best."

(Of course, if you're one those hardcore "there's no such thing as objectivity" people, you're likely to tell me that I'm "undervaluing my opinion" by making such a differentiation.)

For example, "The Days Between" from Stepmom is probably my favorite piece ever composed by John Williams, but I'd be the first to dispute the idea that it stands as his greatest composition.

When I talk about something being objectively best I prefer to make that clear rather than just using the word greatest or best.