R.I.P: Shirley Walker.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn......

These are very very shocking news. Her work for the Batman series was fantastic. I was actually doing a study on the leimotif approach she took.

She will be greatly missed.

Where did you read about this, Steef?

Where did you read about this, Steef?

The film score monthy forum. A post by Ford A. Thaxton.

There are some days you wish you stood in bed all day long,

I stood in bed all day, didn't help.

For those who are interested the FSM online magazine is running an extensive interview with Mrs. Walker in the last 2 issues.

Terrible terrible news.

Mask of the Phantasm has always been a favorite score of mine, and of course all her work in the animated series which hopefully someday will be released (according to herself in the commentary in the DVDs)

It's been a very bad year.

Oh man... That's terrible. Do we know what she died of? She wasn't that old. Here's hoping that her death, although sad, will provoke a release of her fantastic music for Batman: The Animated Series.

R.I.P.

Oh, my... :joke:

Deeply saddening news. I was reading a beautiful interview with her on FSM Online (by our fellow John Takis) just a few days ago... how strange. She was an accomplished, sensitive composer, with a real knack for the big pictures.

Man, there are fewer and fewer great film composers still around... ;)

Goodbye, Shirley. You will be missed.

This is bad. The sad thing is that she never really got the acclaim that she deserved. I'll have to listen to Mask of the Phantasm now.

For those who haven't heard her work, I recommend to watch the Batman animated series which feature terrific scores and great use of motifs (almost all of the characters have their theme or motif) for example I love the score to the very first episode "On leather wings". The series aren't bad either btw.

God, this is TERRIBLE. I've adored her work on the entire DCAU canon - her Superman theme is almost equal to Williams' in my mind. Reminds me of something Bruce Timm said - "You should be able to sing the name 'Superman' to every Superman theme." Try it sometime. "Superman! SUPERMAN! Hey, everyone, it's SUPERMAN!"

Particularly loved her zillions of motifs in the shows, not least of which was the Joker's delightfully demented theme. She always managed to capture each character perfectly in just a few notes.

I'm very shaken up over this. My most recent e-mail from her was just a few weeks ago. This is a tragic day. I'm just crushed.

Here are my comments from the FSM board...

------------------------------------------------------

This is truly devastating news.

I began watching Batman: The Animated Series in its premier season. I was exactly the target age for the show, and my interest in film and television music was just starting to take off. It didn't take long for me to become a devoted Shirley Walker fan. I would tape episodes and watch them over and over again, just for the music. I would memorize themes and passages and plunk them out on the piano. When I got the Mask of the Phantasm soundtrack, I was ecstatic. Over the years, I discovered other gems from her catalogue, and my admiration for her craft and love of her music only increased. I can honestly state she was one of my favorite composers. That she was not regularly signed to A-list pictures, and that much of her best work was allowed to languish unpublished was a source of constant frustration to me.

When the chance came to interview Mrs. Walker for FSM Online in September of this year, I was both very excited and very nervous. I needn't have been nervous. She put me at ease right away with her kind tone and open attitude. Words can't express what a pleasure that encounter was ... I had known she was a brilliant composer; I had not known -- firsthand, anyway -- what a smart, funny, and generous person she was. And now, not even three months later, words can't express my heartbreak. I had hoped that interview to be the first of many. I certainly never dreamed it would be the last interview (or one of the last) of her career.

I can't say that Shirley Walker was a friend -- a two-hour phone conversation (however wonderful and congenial) and a brief, tragically truncated e-mail correspondence do not, I think, entitle me to that great privilege. I do not hestitate, however, to call her an inspiration. As expressed through her craft and her art, she was, and forever will be, a source of joy, thrills and wonderment to me. It was my great good fortune to be able to tell her so, and to be able to share a little bit of her voice with the world.

I don't know if Mrs. Walker was a religious person, but I'd like to think that she's in a better place now -- reunited with her husband, and the two of them knowing all the peace that was denied them on Earth. My heartfelt condolences go out to her family, and also to the many composers and colleagues whose lives she touched.

As for me, I will put on some of her music, shed a few more tears, and cherish the memories I am blessed to have.

May she rest in peace.

-- John

I'm absolutely in shock. What a terrible loss of a great talent. :cry: My condolences to Ms. Walker's family.

Anthony

I can remember the fantastic themes she wrote for:

Batman

Joker

Two Face

Penguin

Scarecrow

The Mad Hatter

The Grey Ghost (fantastic fanfare)

Clayface

Killer Croc

Catwoman

I working on a thematic analysis for the Animated series.

Each theme was so unique and so full of identity. It is trully worth checking out, for all you theme lovers.

I like all the themes mentioned above. And the main title from The Mask of the Phantasm gave me chills when I first heard it. Great music to a great animated film.

RIP ;)

Karol

OH NO....whats happening here? Another one of my favorite inspiration-givers is gone. The last years were very devastating for filmmusic. Not only the forthgoing decline of quality but at that the series of suddenly deceases.

R.I.P. Shirley Walker!

I working on a thematic analysis for the Animated series.

I would LOVE to read that if you end up finishing it. You're totally right about the Grey Ghost theme too - Walker embraced the "old school" spirit of that episode to a tee.

It's a sad month. I had read her interviews and had finally seen those Final Destination movies to see what she had been up to lately. Every time this happens, it makes me resent movie studios who didn't recognise greatness when they saw it, and instead hired awful composers to score their movies.Poledouris and Walker should both have been fed a steady stream of blockbusters to score.

Is any music from Batman: The Animated Series available commercially?  All I saw on Amazon was Phantasm and the newer series.

Sadly no, although I've seen boots of a few episodes here and there, selling for FAR too much (ie, $40 to $50 for a single disc). Admittedly, I'm gonna be sorely tempted to go ahead and buy them anyway if I see them again (they were at the San Diego Comic-Con this year, in a shady looking "rare" soundtracks booth).

Really? I thought there were no boots in existence!

I wasn't going to say anything just yet, but I am working on an edit using the DVD audio and cut out dialogue bits. It's less than the best, but there are some decent results. I've still got a lot of work to do, but just a heads up--although, hopefully we won't need anything like that for too much longer. How well have the Amazing Stories sets been selling? Maybe between that and Shirley Walker's death there'll be a set released before too long.

Really?  I thought there were no boots in existence!

Well, I could never find any evidence for them online, but yeah, they ARE out there. If they're THAT rare, maybe I will drop the coin on getting at least one of them at the next Con... Each boot (there was two or three of them) looked to contain the scores for three or four episodes each. I mean, that's just going off the meager track listings on the back of the discs that I remember seeing. Could be more, could be less - my memory is sorta fuzzy.

I just saw Batman: The Mask of the Phantasm becuase it is the only thing that I have with Shirley Walker score. It's great and better than any Batman film from 1989-1997 era, but I wouldn't go that far and call it the best presentation of Batman on screen. It has rather typical and predictable story. The score is great though. I love the moment when Bruce is putting the mask for the first time. Chilling.

Karol

Man, there are fewer and fewer great film composers still around...

Indeed....

I'm gonna dread the day when Mr. Williams departs from us...

R.I.P. Ms. Walker.

Curiously enought, I don't.

I mean, I'll be terribly sad, but we will all die one day.