Cleaning up old scores

GoodMusician

Hey all,

I was curious...

With all the talent we have here for editing scores and such, how many have you tried cleaning old releases?

Have you had any luck? What programs did you use and what did you do to clean them up?

I ask this because I'm getting closer to working on the OT of Star Wars, and I'm working on some techniques right now with some old scores like Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure, trying to find the best way to preserve the sound, but also make it more real rather than flat like in the releases...

I had to do it a little with my complete Episode I score because of the quality of the music... but this is a bit different...

Anyone ever tried such things before? Any pointers?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless someone says I'm wrong,if you try to clean up c.d. tracks or MP3's (hiss/noise removal,changing the stereo imaging)you'll end up making them sound worse by introducing compression artifacts.

It' might work marginally with old cassette tapes or vynil records

K.M.

Usually noise reduction software does remove some of the hiss, but also introduces a faint but annoying artificial "distortion" in the music, most noticable in the higher strings.

The Hook Concorde bootleg has it, so does the BOT4OJ boot.

I prefer tapehiss, since it sounds more natural, and is easier to block out while listening.

There should be some hiss, otherwise it sounds fake.

And I have better things to do with my spare time than edit CDs. Such as posting in the Word Association Game thread. :|

I've never actually succeeded in improving the sound of a CD, and I don't understand how it is possible anyway.

Well... Towering Inferno and Return of the Jedi have no hiss... they just lack the uper registers and proper string balances... Those can sometimes be compensated.

If any of you want to hear what I'm doing for towering inferno, I can make up some before/after things... It might give you an idea of what I'm talking about...

Not so much hiss reduction as, unlike most Jerry Goldsmith scores I've heard, John Williams old releases don't have that much hiss... they just need some balancing...which isn't impossible...

Are you implying modern Goldsmith scores have tape hiss?

Not to be rude Stef but did you already forget what this thread is about...

Read the title...

"Cleaning up old scores."

I don't consider 2003 old.

that's nice

even then, I've had scores around that age that are hiss-o-riffic

But again, that's not entire what this thread is for unless someone knows of a good way to remove the hiss without making it sound like Return of the Jedi or digitally a mess.

I may simply make another thread about this, but I've been cleaning up Towering Inferno and I'm nearly done. I'm also included some unreleased stuff as well...

I sometimes use Wavelab and a program called ISOTOP 3 ,very good to make flat sound better, as if all depends to your own taste, may be some treatment are too personal, anyway I did main title from INCHON sound like in a symphony hall with good details ...