Expanded Indiana Jones Scores from SILVA SCREEN?

DarthArcher

I was searching for information about a 22 track Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom soundtrack someone is selling through amazon.com and I found the posting below at iofilm.co.uk.

From The Indy Experience...  

TIE.c has gotten word that Silva Screen Records (the record company that released the Indiana Jones trilogy soundtrack selections back in 2003) will be re-releasing the Indiana Jones trilogy soundtracks sometime in 2006 (with no specific release date determined yet). We received this information from Silva Soundtracks' Marketing/Product Manager, who told us to be on the lookout for a new EXPANDED edition of the Indiana Jones soundtracks, which will include all-new re-recordings of each film's entire score. While he did not specify, we can deduce from what we do know that this new Indy trilogy soundtracks will include previously unreleased tracks (especially for the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade soundtrack). Recording for the new release is currently underway, and we'll be sure to keep you up to date on the latest - stay tuned!

Has anyone else heard about this or know if it has any truth to it? It looks like it was posted back in May 2006 so if it is true they're a little behind in getting it released.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it includes unreleased music I'm happy with a re-recording.

It just wouldn't be the same. Re-recordings always screw something up. The only re-recording I can listen to is the Debney recording of Somewhere in Time, and even that's flawed, but not as bad as other ones I've heard.

Debney's Superman re-recording is pretty good and a small treasure before the expanded edition came out. I wouldn't mind at all if Indiana Jones got a similar treatment.

If it includes unreleased music I'm happy with a re-recording.

It just wouldn't be the same. Re-recordings always screw something up. The only re-recording I can listen to is the Debney recording of Somewhere in Time, and even that's flawed, but not as bad as other ones I've heard.

If by "wrong" you mean "different", then sure. You can have a good re-recordnig that's not an exact recreation of the original version.

And are you really saying you can't listen to any of the Gerhardt albums, the Morgan/Stromberg Marco Polo albums, Sunset Boulevard, Rebecca, Body Heat, The Day the Earth Stood Still, To Kill a Mockingbird, Raise the Titanic, 2001 rejected score, The Last Valley, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Julius Caesar, Islands in the Stream, Jason and the Argonauts, Ivanhoe, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Sea Hawk, Elmer Bernstein's Filmmusic Collection, Vertigo, Torn Curtain, Marnie, etc.?

I'd add Silva's 4-CD Bond collection to that pile of rerecorded goodness - they even made a track for Goldeneye listenable (not good, mind you - just listenable). I'm actually in a pretty severe minority in really liking the sound of the Silva recordings and wouldn't mind one bit if they put a rerecorded Indy set out on the market. Honestly, if that's the only way we're gonna get Temple of Doom (or a complete Last Crusade that doesn't sound like crap), then I'm all for it.

Indeed. it's better than not having anything, and as Superman proved, doesn't really diminish our chances of getting an expanded release of the original recording.

The Varese Superman re-recordings has a few wrong notes and (maybe) sometimes the tempo is (slightly) off but other than that it's great,it "feels" like John Williams overall.

Silva adapts JW pieces much more,taking liberties with orchestration and re-writing some passages,and the tempos are way more changed,to the point where the re-recording doesn't sound like the orignal piece.I'd be worried with a re-recorded ToD from them.The music is really complex and fast paced at times.

K.M.

Silva adapts JW pieces much more,taking liberties with orchestration and re-writing some passages,and the tempos are way more changed,to the point where the re-recording doesn't sound like the orignal piece.I'd be worried with a re-recorded ToD from them.K.M.

Of the bits that have already been re-recorded by them - for the Trilogy Disc - I was actually pretty disappointed. Bad playing, poor control, no spirit, and a blatantly mis-read/mis-interpreted tempo change in the finale spoilt the whole thing.....

....all in all, I was glad I got that particular CD for free! (Free gift with the DVD set). I would have felt misled had I paid for it.

Greg - who rates the RSNO far more than City of Prague lot.....whoever is conducting......