William's Trait

tony69

I was listening to some stuff lately and have just recently discovered a William's musical trait. Though some of his pieces or themes may be considered derivative from another piece, this trait I believe is a unique trait of williams.

It is his dominant preparations to back to a recap of the theme. In particular, listen to measures 24-28 of the Prayer for Peace. That development/preparation is uniquely Williams. I dont think you can name another composer who does it that way. Another piece with similar buildups include some harry potter stuff (like fawkes or the buildup to the main title sequence in harry potter 1). The other stuff that people have suggested like boom tsss or horn/cello doublings I've heard from other composers, but i think this is a truly unique trait. What do you fellows think?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to agree to that, only I have no idea what soundtrack "prayer for peace" is from... :-)

Anyway, horn/cello is one of the most *frequent* doublings in orchestral mussic, not unique to Williams at all. Tuba/piccolo, for obvious reasons, is quite rare, but I dare venture that Stravinsky and Ravel did it somewhere.

It's been done before, and you can trust me on that. I have no idea who, but I subscribe to the credo that there's nothing new under the sun. But maybe Williams does it the best.