John Rutter

Composer_Fan

johnrutter.jpg

Quite possibly the ugliest composer who ever lived, John Rutter is quite famous, especially for his choral works.

I'm singing his Magnificat with my college choir tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with his music. I've heard that he's more popular in America than he is in the UK.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I perform quite often in churches so I run into his stuff pretty often.

If I'm not mistaken, we're doing his mass setting for christmas actually... and I have performed his Requiem before.

I have to say that his requiem is unorthodox and very... moive-esque in its theatricality... but some of it is quite gorgous like "The Lord is My Shepherd," "Pie Jesu," and such.

I always wondering what he looked like lol.

He makes Andrew Lloyd-Weber look like a matinee idol.

Most people in the UK know Rutter from his Christmas music. He is considered hopelessly anachronistic by most people, but his music has an undeniable charm. "What Sweeter Music" is a very pretty carol, but not much more than that.

Unfortunate name, too. "Rutter."

The Godzilla guy, right?

Yes he was the composer for most of the Godzilla films as well as other Japanese Sci-Fi films. He also composed classical/concert works, stage works and scored many other Japanese films.

Well, John Williams of course. Harry Gregson-Williams and JNH would also be in that category I think. Silvestri too.

Ted

So then, who are the best-looking film composers?

Ray Barnsbury - who thinks Rachel Portman could be, by default

Female - Rachel Portman definitely.

Male - John Barry, in the 1960s.

So what are you saying?

Someone asked "what female members" to which you replied, "some people here have to be gay."

What that has to do with female members is beyond me.

I never made this statement posted by you: "saying that gay people can't judge the beauty of other men doesn't make sense ...."

So you kinda lost me there for a moment.

What does JWfangirl think?

I think she's our only surviving female member

K.M.

Rutter is fantastic. "Gloria" is wonderful, of course, but I especially love his "O Come All Ye Faithful" - gives me goosebumps every time.

- SeekUYoda, female, and still lurking.... :)

Someone asked "what female members" to which you replied, "some people here have to be gay."  

What that has to do with female members is beyond me.

The point is that both are attracted to men, so me saying "some here have to be gay" meant that gay people can substitute female members in finding the ugliest composer.

I'm tired ...

Well,it's not hard to see,even for a staight guy,that that copeland dude is pretty ugly.

anyone has that photo of JW before he lost his hair?

K.M.