Superman II (Donner) questions

Luke Skywalker

I have some questions about this movie.

Was all footage used in it shooted by donner? (I mean all the 'lester movie' scenes)

End credits say Music is played by the LSO. There are some portions from Ken Thorne's adaptations. Were a small group of LSO musicians hired for Superman II?

Is this movie eligible to be put on the filmography list on the main page? (ie- Superman II Donner's Cut (Tracked) ) I ask it because williams is credited as the main composer in this movie (and rightly so, specially after the Superman Returns fiasco ;) ) Thorne is credited just in the end credits, but i suppose mainly because his original 'honeymoon hotel' music)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some footage was shot by Richard Lester, especially the Metropolis fight and Niagra Falls. Most of the music is by the LSO because it was lifted from STM; LSO was not used by Thorne.

What they did is an awfull montage of some of the score of S 1 and add some music composed by Thorne from S 2 like the luna fight and some music alternate that we hear a lot during the release of the vilains...

Hi everybody !

As you probably know, I bought the 11 DVD box of Superman (only 11 because we don't have Superman Returns in our french edition).

I saw Superman II Donner's Cut, and it's a great movie. Like you, I saw that John Williams is credited as the main composer, that surprised me.

This message is for those who have already seen the movie :

Did you notice a mistake in the movie ?

The Donner cut has credits that are extremely faithful to the credits in STM.

I personally didn't find the music editing in the Donner Cut to be so bad that it ruined the movie for me. Of course, as a fan of the score for STM, I was aware when they were editing cues together, etc, but it's what I expected when the project was first announced a year ago anyway.

I was surprised actually that the film felt as coherent as it did, considering they had to use a lot of Lester stuff and the screen test. I honestly felt it was totally watchable, and while it may not be releaseable as a finished theatrical film, especially by today's standards, I prefer it to Lester's sillier take on the whole thing (especially Lester's over-use of ADR - it seems like every character in II and III is always going "hmmm" or "err" or "ugh" or making a stupid joke off to the side.

Obviously it's a shame Donner had to rely on Lester footage for Houston, Niagra Falls, some FOS scenes with Lois and Clark, and the big battle in Metropolis, but since he never had a chance to film these scenes himself in the first place, this was the only option.

I noticed as well, that in the movie 'continuity' as of now, goes like this:

Superman the movie - Superman II Donner's Cut - Superman Returns

I thought Singer went with lester's superman... but in donner's Lois and Superman make love before he loses powers and in lester's it is after it. Therefore, superman's son having powers in returns.