Golden Globes nominations are in

Romão

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santaolalla is nominated again!!! Just hearing that name makes me see red again!!! :):joy::joy:

(Josh, who still isn't over the fact that he won instead of John Williams for Memoirs.)

Wow, outside of a few nominees, what a bland list.

If the Golden Globes are a precursor to the Oscar This year's award show is going to be boring. Looks like the best score award will be the time to take a bathroom break.

Santaolalla is nominated again!!! Just hearing that name makes me see red again!!!  :)  :joy:  :joy:  

(Josh, who still isn't over the fact that he won instead of John Williams for Memoirs.)

But JW won the Golden Globe, and he was nominated against Santollalla.

Zimmer's is the only score I know from the list, and it deserves to be up there. Desplat's sounds like it could be fantastic. Incidentally, my dad just came home from the US and got me Desplat's The Queen. It's wonderful.

Looks like acompletely randomly made up list.

I have a prediction the Oscar score list will be similar.No score with a catchy tune attatched to a "darlling" politically correct film or critics favourite.The only time Williams would have a true free ride...but he didn't score anything.

K.M.

The absense of John Williams and Steven Spielberg makes next year's Oscars such a yawn fest. I don't think I'll even bother to watch it, let alone tape it.

The only time Williams would have a true free ride...

K.M.

Hey, that's what we thought last year!!!

Nope,because deep in our hearts,we knew Brokeback Mountain was the gay film with a catchy tune.

K.M.

That's what you say now 'cause it won. I think if Williams were nominated again this year, the Oscar would go to Hans Zimmer. Deep in our hearts, we have no doubt about that.

I'd be worried if it was PotC,but not Da Vinci Code.Even if I don't like it,I wouldn't be surprised if they acknowledged this MV score due to general popularity.

K.M.

Even if I don't like it,I wouldn't be surprised if they acknowledged this MV score due to general popularity.

K.M.

Then how come Williams didn't win for PoA? That sure was a hell of a lot more popular than Finding Neverland. They'll always find a new reason why Williams shouldn't win.

Well, I guess the Ennio Morricone tribute will be the most exciting part of the Oscars. Especially since most of the other categories are likely to go to Clint Eastwood.

Of the golden globe list, I haven't even purchased any of these albums, even though the preview I've heard for The Fountain sound pretty good.

I think PoA wasn't mixed loudly enough in the film and nobody noticed it.

K.M.

That's exactly what I mean by "they'll always find another reason." I've made my peace with the fact that JW'll never win another Oscar.

I think PoA wasn't mixed loudly enough in the film and nobody noticed it.

K.M.

I thought the score was mixed very well in the film.

I've made my peace with the fact that JW'll never win another Oscar.

Who cares if he doesn't? We know he's great, he's as famous as any film composer could ever hope to be, I don't see why another Oscar matters in the slightest. The music's just as good, whether it wins awards or not.

Who cares if he doesn't? We know he's great, he's as famous as any film composer could ever hope to be, I don't see why another Oscar matters in the slightest. The music's just as good, whether it wins awards or not.

Well, in the words of John Williams himself, "it's always nice to be appreciated" (or something to that effect." If you see such a masterpiece as Memoirs lose to such a load of crap like Brokeback Mountain (the score) it makes me mad, that's all. But you're right, of course. He doesn't need another Oscar to prove anything.

The absense of John Williams and Steven Spielberg makes next year's Oscars such a yawn fest. I don't think I'll even bother to watch it, let alone tape it.
The only time Williams would have a true free ride...

K.M.

Hey, that's what we thought last year!!!

I watch the Oscars to see who wins and I'll always pull for my favorite, but it doesn't much matter, really. This year is a very interesting one for film. So many smaller, quiet dramas and more experimental movies are making their way into awards season. The cinema as a whole is a very unique time, I think, and the awards seasons (while always a little behind) are an indicator of that. Gone are many of the giant Hollywood productions. Now these awards shows are becoming about wonderful films like The Queen (the best movie I have seen this year), movies that can use all the publicity they can get. Because the fact of it is, many of the best films today don't have huge marketing campaigns and slip into oblivion immediately after release. The more press and popularity they receive, the more they will make it into the multiplexes and audiences will become more accustomed to quality films. That's my hope at least. Films like Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men are creating such a stir right now; I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I can't wait to see them. Hollywood still has a long way to in terms of recognizing the quality of smaller films, but it's making strides, and I think the selections for major awards is becoming more interesting each year. Last year in particular was great, as all five movies were bold and different in their own ways and very risky.

Ted

I'd be worried if it was PotC,but not Da Vinci Code.Even if I don't like it,I wouldn't be surprised if they acknowledged this MV score due to general popularity.

K.M.

POTC has too many composers to be eligible.

Probably the most boring score nominations list I've ever seen, there's nothing but politics in there :wave:

I always watch the Oscars anyway for the entertainment value, but recent years have diminished by interest even in the music awards.

Why are the score nominations boring? Because the scores themselves are a little boring.

I will say that I liked the music to "The Queen" and "The Fountain," and thought if the nominators look beyond the names at the score, they'll be nominated.

That said, I won't raise a fuss if Zimmer is nominated for "Da Vinci" and wins the Golden Globe and Oscar.

If you remember, though, the Golden Globes have a history of being soooo far off from giving the award to a future Oscar winner or nominee. Remember "A Walk in the Clouds" and "The Truman Show?"

The only interesting about this award season will be the Morricone tribute and maybe seeing Scorcese win an oscar.

Fuggeddaboutit. Scorsese will never win the Oscar... probably he will receive an honorary award, much like they're doing now with Morricone.

As for the Globes score nomination I say: BORING! The only one who stands out is Alexandre Desplat, a true original film composer.

5. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - COMEDY OR MUSICALANNETTE BENING — RUNNING WITH SCISSORS

TONI COLLETTE — LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

BEYONCE — KNOWLES

MERYL STREEP — THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

RENEE ZELLWEGER — MISS POTTER

Beyonce was nominated for her role in Knowles.

Hmm, the only nominations I'm particularly pleased about are The Office's for Best TV Comedy and Steve Carell for Best Actor in said show.

Ray Barnsbury

you forgot about:

SACHA BARON COHEN — BORAT: CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA FOR MAKE BENEFIT GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHSTAN :wave:

Films like Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men are creating such a stir right now; I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I can't wait to see them.

I can't wait for Pan's Labrynth....but I saw Children of Men, and it was a big disspointment. Surprisingly simple and straightforward.

I can't wait for Pan's Labrynth....but I saw Children of Men, and it was a big disspointment. Surprisingly simple and straightforward.

Damn, really? I had high hopes for that one.

What? Over the Hedge wasn't even nominated for BEST ANIMATED FEATURE? I hardly pay attention to these awards, but still. Not that I've seen very many new movies this year, but Over the Hedge was certainly the most fun.

Hmm, the only nominations I'm particularly pleased about are The Office's for Best TV Comedy and Steve Carell for Best Actor in said show.

Ray Barnsbury

you forgot about:

SACHA BARON COHEN — BORAT: CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA FOR MAKE BENEFIT GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHSTAN :mrgreen:

Actually yeah, that's one I'd root for too.

Ray Barnsbury

SACHA BARON COHEN — BORAT: CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA FOR MAKE BENEFIT GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHSTAN :mrgreen:

Actually yeah' date=' that's one I'd root for too.

Ray Barnsbury[/quote']

I'm rooting for Aaron Eckhart.

Clint Eastwood gets two Best Director nods but no Best Picture?

:?

Due to GG rules' date=' any film that is not in English can only be nominated in the foreign language category. Hence,[i'] Letters from Iwo Jima, even though it is a totally American production, is nominated in that category.

The only interesting about this award season will be the Morricone tribute and maybe seeing Scorcese win an oscar.

Has Scorcese ever won a Golden Globe? I think The Departed is a fantastic film. I've seen it 5 times and it just gets better. The performance by DiCaprio is excellent. I wasn't a big fan of his up until The Aviator but I think he's quite a good actor.

BTW- Shore's score is also great. IT may appear to be overly simple and repetitive but it is more layered than something like History of Violence IMO. And it works impeccably with the film.

Clint Eastwood gets two Best Director nods but no Best Picture?

:?

This is a common complaint. When a film is nominated for Best Picture but not director, people always say the director was cheated.

To me, Best Picture means that almost every element in the film, from editing, photography, score, performances, sound, screenplay, were excellent. And, yes, the visual style.

Clint Eastwood did some very fine things in Flags, but the overall picture was just ok. It wasn't bad, but there was a bit that could have been better. Same thing with the beloved Saving Private Ryan.

If director and best pic went hand-in-hand, then they would just include the director on the Best Pic ballot with the producers.