Which rare John Williams soundtrack would you get most ?

David Vincent

Which rare John Williams soundtrack would you get most ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• Artificial Intelligence Oscar Promo
    • Far and Away Volume 2
    • Born on the Fourth of July Complete
    • Witches of Eastwick bootleg
    • Spacecamp
    • Monsignor / Missouri Breaks
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind bootleg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you talk about The Cowboys released by Varese Sarabande (I can try to get one and exchange it if you are interested) ?

Or do you talk about The Cowboys bootleg ?

This bootleg has been released from DVD source and is not a factory pressed release...

Hi PetePan.

I would love to make you a copy of The Cowboys as well.

Are there anything else you are looking for in particular?

Kjeldtoft :(

I want everything by Mr. Williams that hasn't been released. On your list, I have the commercially released cds of all except Monsignor, so I think I'll vote for that one.

~Harry

AI, because of the quality of some of the unreleased music. The promo is a must get if only for the instrumental version of the Blue Fairy theme.

I agree, AI Oscar Promo is definitively the best Promo album !

But it is so expensive !

Who's got an original one ? At which price ?

Sorry Justin, you are right, it is unfair to have forgotten it :oops:

Do you know if the second Hook bootleg is a factory pressed CD or a self made one ?

hookboot1.jpg

I voted SPACECAMP because I only have this as a CD-R and would like the original instead. To tell you the truth, I'm not interested in any of the other items you listed, because I'm perfectly satisifed with the commercial releases.

I voted for the Born On The Fourth Of July promo. I have all the other ones (whether on CD, or as mp3s in my computer) so I would want to listen to the rest of the score to the film.

Dan - going to see Episode II in less than an hour :baaa:

AI promo, at least for me. Although Hook complete is an amazing one

Hmm, Hook. Now there is something that I might easily have voted for over AI if it was on the list! Hard to choose.

I voted for Born on the Fourth of July because I love what I heard on the soundtrack and would really like to hear more!

:( Clarinet Concerto (Williams)

I have all the above apart from the Cowboys and CE3K bootlegs. i wasn't aware they existed! I would do a lot to get my hands on the Cowboys edition especially. And I agree, the 2CD AI is now my most treasured posession!

....and if you see two copies, get me one too!

I paid $66 (ironically enough) for The Witches Of Eastwick.

And, Harry: I have about 6 or 7 mp3s from SpaceCamp that I managed to get off Napster a while back. It really is a great score -- at least what I've heard from it.

Dan - listening to now, as a matter of fact

Is this on ebay? If so, I think I need to pay it a visit. :)

Oh, and the things you are bidding on don't interest me, because they aren't by the big JW. :)

~Harry

Yeah, I hardly bid on any Johnny stuff. I already have mostly anything you can have relating to JW. Every now and then, I'll find something of interest.

But nowadays, I'm getting non-JW stuff and working on getting some well-priced DVDs.

Dan - asking God to remove his headache

I choose AI only because that's pretty much the only one i know. Is that score really good? :? The only other thing i recognise is Born on the 4th of July becuase I've heard the theme on the greatest hits...

I have the AI promo cd's, and of those listed in the poll, it would certainly be my first choice to own. i was shocked that the released soundtrack did not contain David's theme - the gorgeous piano melody. in my opinion, AI is John Williams' best work ever.

I'm debating on bidding on something of JW's I found.  It's tempting.

~Harry

Yes, what is it that you are considering bidding on?

Also curious, and not likely to check out e-bay (and you know why, Harry).

Bruckhorn, who figured out where more Emoticons are. (I swear these are the NEW glasses I'm wearing.)

:) A.I. Promo

I got a copy of a one disc boot of Born on the Fourth of July and it was quite the surprise when it gets to the end of the last track and suddenly there's Tom Cruise's voice screaming "Penis!" over and over again. Of course that's when my mother entered the room. I don't know who was more shocked. Yeah, I was thirty at the time, but there's just something things that Mom doesn't need to hear.

So, if you get a boot of BOTFOJ, beware. It might be best to listen to it the first time with headphones.

Bruckhorn

:) Nothing, my CD player stopped.

Yeah, I think she was whiter than Casper and I was redder than Fidel Castro.

Heck, Hector, I might know where you can get your hands on that disc your looking for. :)

Bruckhorn, who hopes his avatar works

Harry, you are correct. After I tried to upload it I noticed that the max size is 8k. (Which explains your avatar not being animated, right?) The smallest I can get the image I want to use is 12k. Ugh! I'm working on it.

Hector, the one with Cruise shouting, uh hum, stuff.

Bruckhorn, who needs to go to sleep now, so I'll have one less thing to blame my bad golf game on. (And if you saw the first version of this post, you'd agree, it's time for me to go :) . 'night y'all.)

I would be, officially, the most embarassed person on the face of this Earth.

Hey, Bruckhorn! I want it too!!!!

Dan - hoping Bruckhorn will share the info. with him.

The day I got my copy of the complete BOTFOJ I turned all the lights off, and had a blissful hour plus of listening. The end title faded away, and I get some shortarse yelling obscenities in my ear!! What is all that about?!?! I might have to stick one of those Parental Advisory stickers on the album cover - that would be a first for a JW soundtrack!

The day I got my copy of the complete BOTFOJ I turned all the lights off, and had a blissful hour plus of listening. The end title faded away, and I get some shortarse yelling obscenities in my ear!! What is all that about?!?! I might have to stick one of those Parental Advisory stickers on the album cover - that would be a first for a JW soundtrack!

Fellow Chris,

First off, great name! :baaa:

Second off, since that is a bootleg, it doesn't have to have a parental advisory warning. Plus, how many kids (younger than say 18 or so) do you know looking for rare John Williams bootlegged expanded scores?

And, those obscenities are in the movie. Cruise's character goes 'Nam after serving in 'Nam and yells the... um... obscenity to P-O his mom. It wouldn't work in Ozzy's house, but in that house, it worked. LOL

-Chris

OK I take your point - I wasn't that offended really! I'm now going to coat my Witches of Eastwick CD with half-digested cherries...seeya!!

I have the AI promo cd's, and of those listed in the poll, it would certainly be my first choice to own. i was shocked that the released soundtrack did not contain David's theme - the gorgeous piano melody. in my opinion, AI is John Williams' best work ever.

Sorry, which theme do you refer to? (CD#, track#) I always thought that David's theme was the one in "Hide and Seek", and that one is on the OST.

However, the A.I. promo is worth getting, if only for those brilliant moments like the Strauß quote in #5 "Rouge City", or the complete "The Moon Rising", or the orchestral Blue Fairy music at the end of disc 2, or this gorgeous oboe melody in CD1 #8:

ai-oboe.jpg

(click to listen)

-Chris

The Acciental Tourist(not that I care that much for that score)and the A.I. promo are the only ones I don't have an official pressed copy of,besides 2 of those crappy 60's "comedy" scores from FSM.

K.M.Who last saw the A.I. promo set (pressed) selling for 450$US on e-bay,good luck getting one.

chris: i always thought david's theme is the piano music first heard when david is looking at the swinton photographs just after his arrival, or the same music played when hobby is looking at his photographs after David and Joe's escape from Rouge City. Im not sure what track this is on the 2 cd promo set because I renamed mine and lost the track numbers. john williams identified this theme as David's in an interview in Film Score Monthly which came out over the summer.

To answer "Guest"'s question from page one, the first Hook boot (the one that had horrible sound but all the music) exists on CDr only.

The second Hook boot (the Concorde release with good sound but is missing 2 of the end battle cues) is a pressed bootleg.

-Jason, who has a pressed copy of the Concordge release but was never able to get ahold of the first bootleg.

:music: The Lost World (complete)

I would probably take the Born on the 4th of July promo. I don't even think I have that score. Just the main theme from it on one of my compilation albums.