My Home Alone CD sounds like a scratchy record!

jasonblueeyes

What happned. I listned to it last year with no problem. Now tracks 10 to 18 sound like they're being played on record.

This sucks! Is it old age? This is the first John Williams CD I ever bought in Jan. 1991. Also I bought Always and Presumed Innocent during that time period.

Can it be repaired? Please Help.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has happened to a couple of my CDs. In addition to some clicking in one or two tracks, practically every track that runs together on my TPM UE now does so with a jarring click. Such a defect wouldn't be noticeable on most CDs because of the separation of tracks.

If I were you, I'd copy it to my computer while you still can. Put the original away, and burn a new copy from your computer.

Make sure that however you rip it, rip it the best quality you can as you may not be able to re-rip at a better quality if you don't do it now.

Use the burnt copy...and that way, if it deteriorates, you can burn a new cd and not worry about the sentimentality.

• 2 weeks later...

I always treated my CDs perfectly, and they all sound great.

Even one of the first CDs I ever bought (in 1998) which has been played hundreds of times, plays perfectly even if it's inevitable that it's scratched.

Yours it's more likely a CD-player lens problem.

Does your disc show any sign of cd bronzing? If it's turning yellowish/reddish, it might be due to a defect in manufacturing, and this usually begins from the outside of the disc and then inwards, which would explain why the later tracks are the ones affected, since they're the outermost ones.

PDO used to have this problem around the time Home Alone was manufactured, but my HA disc was manufactured by DIDC, and I've never heard of a DIDC disc suffering from this (you can check the manufacturer through the letters embossed on the inner ring).

If this is what's happening, I'm afraid there's not much you can do, except back up your files while you still can and maybe contact CBS Records/Fox to ask them if they can replace a defective disc (PDO used to do this, but they've stopped this year).

I bought Home Alone in 2004 (even if I don't know which pressing it is) and it's still the same colour as when I bought it.

But it's a CD that received only 3-4 playings, so I'm going to judge only the CDs I play more.

No, the CDs I play a lot are still the same colour as they should be. :)

Bronzing doesn't really relate to disc use or age, but rather to defective "porous" plastic used during manufacturing which allowed the metal disc to develop some rust. It affected some discs in the early 90s, especially those by Silva. The earliest CDs I bought, way back in 1984, still play normally, but I did find about 11 or 12 discs (out of my 2,000 disc collection) with this defect. PDO promptly replaced them three or four years ago. :)