Goldsmith and Williams: Two similar Sci-Fi 'themes'

Quintus

Williams' CEOT3K finale greets the other worldly beings with a kind of longing for the fantasy impossible, being both beautifully orchestrated and timed to perfection.

Goldsmith's Star Trek: First Contact finale greets the other worldly beings with a kind of longing for the fantasy impossible, being both beautifully orchestrated and timed to perfection.

Both pieces essentially serve the same purpose: To imagine for the audience what it would be like to meet benevolent spirits from another world for the first time. Both Goldsmith and Williams capture the essence amazingly so - I was already awaiting an emotional climax when I first watched Close Encounters, indeed the top-notch directorial storytelling saw to that, but when I watched Star Trek: First Contact for the first time, I didn't suspect for a moment that I (not a Trek fan in the slightest) would actually produce a couple of emotional tears, come the wonderfully rousing First Contact.

For me though, I find it hard to say which 'Alien Welcoming' I prefer most, because I love Williams' and Goldsmith's efforts so much, but if I had to decide via gunpoint(!), then I'd probably go for the Williams finale. Not only is it a fitting reward to what went before, but "When You Wish Upon a Star" had never felt so powerfully redeeming. But at the same time I cannot deny Goldsmiths musical build up to the Vulcans 'V' finger gesture when they first appear at the end of FC. I never used to give a shit about Trek lore, but this sequence and its music made it so.

Both are genius, but Williams wins, for me...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what a horrible insult to compare Close Encounters which is a great great score, to a merely good score like FC.

Calm, it is just that I noticed the motif come twice, I love both composers, I didn' t know that it have been pointed as Jaws 3-D use a potion of another track in first blood...

the razor at 0: 44 is on Jaws 3D philip's demise at 2: 17...

close encounters have a big cotation to Lgeti and Rautavaara listen to angels and visitations , the Naxos version, woaw !!!