Did anyone classical influence Goldsmith?

BLUMENKOHL

I mean, Williams has a lot of "Prokofievian" in him with hints of plenty of other romantic/classical composers from Wagner to Stravinsky, Horner you would think is [a weak] Prokofiev...from the way he cuts and pastes.

But then...there's Goldsmith, and no one really ever talks about such things when it comes to him...

And I can see why, it seems to me (at the moment), that of all the film composers he had the most unique voice.

But some of his work like Secret of NIMH or the choral works in First Knight seem to have a bit of Tschaikovsky and Prokofiev in them respectively.

Discuss! I want to hear some influences....if there are any!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Goldsmith was influenced! You can hear plenty of Stravinsky and Bartok, some Shostakovich, and, in specific pieces, Prokofiev and Debussy (he mentioned Debussy specifically when talking about Papillon).

People often hear strong traces of Bartok in Goldsmith scores. The rambling piano motif from the second half of Basic Instinct is a direct lift from Shostakovich's piano concert. And personally, I remain convinced that Bruckner was a significant influence, because of his layered style, Goldsmith's comments about Total Recall having enough notes for a Bruckner symphony, a brief quote of a moment from Bruckner's 4th in Basic Instinct and the use of Bruckner's Te Deum motif in The Edge and the middle section of the Voyager main title.

I remember, years ago when I was a kid, checking out of the library a tape that featured music from various films of the '70s, and to make a long story short, there was a track from "The Shining" on there that I later found out was Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta." Well, before I found out that it was Bartok (it wasn't listed anywhere on the tape), I just assumed that it was Goldsmith, so similar was it to his old Twilight Zone work (I know, vice versa).

Maestro Goldmith was clearly influenced by Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, specifically the chase cues in Nemesis. On another note someone in the film score industry advised me Horner lifted some Schumann almost directly and in the same key for Willow.

• 2 weeks later...

Although Goldsmith does have some clear classical influences like Vaughan Williams and Bruckner. I think his primary influence is Rozsa and Alex North.