Schindler's List Theme

Josh500

Which example of the Schindler's List Theme do you like most?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• Pan Flute (Immolation 3:01 -)
    • French Horn (Schindler's Workforce 0:00 -)
    • Orchestra With Itzhak Perlman (I Could Have Done More 4:41 -)
    • Acoustic Guitar (Stolen Memories 3:03 -)
    • Strings with Chello (Making the List 0:51 -)
    • Flute with Harp (Making the List 2:54 -)
    • Cello with Itzhak Perlman (Give Me Your Names 3:09 -)
    • Piano (Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise) 0:00 -)
    • Strings (Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise) 1:47 -)

It seems like John Williams uses every instrument in the book. So which of the above do you like best? I haven't included the examples in which Itzhak Perlman plays the main melody (Theme From Schindler's List) for I know that everybody would pick that right away. But the main theme is, IMO, so haunting and well-written, it doesn't really matter which instrument plays it.

My personal favorite is from Give Me Your Names -- the one where IP plays the accompaniment. This is really heart-rending, even more so than the first track, IMO. Also, Making The List (flute with harp) is subtle and low-key but indescribably good and effective. It's a hard choice.

:P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flute with Harp in Making the List by far.  That moment is especially helped by the build up to it, so I'd start it around 2:30/2:35.

I agree! Have you watched that scene in the movie? Really one of the key moments story-wise AND score-wise!

:P

I'd say it's either that or the last two minutes or so of "I Could Have Done More," which contains so many beautiful counterpoints that it brings me to tears on a more consistent basis than most moments of Williams of scores. But the second half of "Making the List" is just as brilliant. They are my two favorite cues on that album. The main theme's concert suite is bland in relation to the many brilliant renditions the themes receive in the actual score.

Ted

The piano in the end credits. At that point I'm near tears. Hearing the beautiful rendition has me bawling.

I'm sure that's how Spielberg first heard the theme. I would have wept then, too.

I'd say it's either that or the last two minutes or so of "I Could Have Done More," which contains so many beautiful counterpoints that it brings me to tears on a more consistent basis than most moments of Williams of scores. But the second half of "Making the List" is just as brilliant. They are my two favorite cues on that album. The main theme's concert suite is bland in relation to the many brilliant renditions the themes receive in the actual score.

Ted

I agree. If you have the Treesong recording with Shaham playing it sounds even a little more bland.

Sometimes I think that you take JW's music a little too seriously, Miguel.

Not that theres anything wrong with that, of course.

Piano. I feel it brings out the melody and the emotion better than the other renditions. And it's a little bit more "magical".

Just sometimes?

Okay, most of the time. 8O

Just sometimes?

Okay, most of the time. :)

Man, you don't know me... I breath John Williams 8O

And the trumpet/organ duet is quiet interesting, I agree.

Yes, Williams himself plays the solo piano on the end credits. He said it so in an interview.

He also played on the opening cue of Angela's Ashes, and every now and then, but I guess that most of the times he does so, it simply goes uncredited.

I think it's becoming quite obvious Miguel. :music:

As a very dear friend put it so recently, my lifetime passion as always been, and will always be Johnny Williams and his music.

One of my very first memories, of my childhood, his Williams related... So there you have it.

I think it's incredibly humble of you, Miguel, to consider another man's work to be as your everlasting passion. Seeing your work, your personality and your family (each worthy of a passion in itself), I think you underestimate yourself.

Well, not think. I'm sure you do.

Well, family I think should come before Williams' music.

I mean, we're all passionate about John's music, but obsession is never a good thing. :music:

I think it's incredibly humble of you, Miguel, to consider another man's work to be as your everlasting passion. Seeing your work, your personality and your family (each worthy of a passion in itself), I think you underestimate yourself.

Well, not think. I'm sure you do.

I just don't know how to react to that.

Thank you.

I would like to think most of us are here because Williams' music has touched us in some way or another.

Agreed, Williams scores just seem to have that extra something in them that makes them special. I don't know how he does it, I've yet to come across (no offense to other composers) another composer who can capture that same essence of beauty in their scores. There are some who come a little close, but never quite hit the mark. By far in my opinion Schindler's List is one the most touching pieces of music, it can make the listener actually feel the anguish and loss of hope that the individuals on screen feel.

Agreed, Williams scores just seem to have that extra something in them that makes them special. I don't know how he does it, I've yet to come across (no offense to other composers) another composer who can capture that same essence of beauty in their scores. There are some who come a little close, but never quite hit the mark. By far in my opinion Schindler's List is one the most touching pieces of music, it can make the listener actually feel the anguish and loss of hope that the individuals on screen feel.

Have you ever listened to Bach?

I love John Williams, and there isn't a day that goes by without listening to his music, but Bach... That's perfection, in every sense of the word.

It makes me fully believe that God exists.

Well, family I think should come before Williams' music.

I mean, we're all passionate about John's music, but obsession is never a good thing. :rolleyes:

I hope Miguel didn't think I was accusing him of being 'obsessed'.

Judging by his reply, I think he didn't.

I hope Miguel didn't think I was accusing him of being 'obsessed'.

Judging by his reply, I think he didn't.

Obsession is a weird word for a weird attitude.

I wouldn't call my self obsessed, even if it may look like to others.

I make compromises every day, and I won't say those are easy, but I find them aceptable. Is a part of life.

But in the end of the day, and as the next one begins to shine, is John Williams music that scores it, and in that way, it is in fact my lifes ultimate passion.

Cello with Itzhak Perlman! Give Me Your Names is a perfect track, some beautiful fiddling this time by the violin, with the tune on the cellos.

But I've heard other composers write equally good or better music. Try listening to Mahler or Alex North. :rolleyes:

But I am ridiculous.

I'm not religious, I'm not a believer, but listening to Bach's music, surelly makes me think twice.

Hmm, maybe thats why you psuedo-worship John Williams. :huh:

As they say, your going to worship something. What that is is up to you.

Cello with Itzhak Perlman! Give Me Your Names is a perfect track, some beautiful fiddling this time by the violin, with the tune on the cellos.

But I've heard other composers write equally good or better music. Try listening to Mahler or Alex North. :blink:

You may be right there. But, as John Williams himself claimed on more than one occasion, they are all dead. :P

You may be right there. But, as John Williams himself claimed on more than one occasion, they are all dead. :blink:

Actually the story goes somewhat like this:

Williams: Steven, for this film you need a better composer!

Spielberg: I know, but they are all dead!

Actually the story goes somewhat like this:

Williams: Steven, for this film you need a better composer!

Spielberg: I know, but they are all dead!

Well, that's what I said!

:blink: