Headphones

bob23

So I'm carrying on a conversation with myself at this point. I'll go with it. I hacked the iGrados because I was tired of the over-the-ear fit. So I just attached SR60 earpads around the iGrado earpads and cut a hole in the SR60 pads so as not to muddy up the sound. Now, they simply fit over the ears instead of having that stupid plastic thing around the top of your ear causing discomfort. They sound exactly like SR60s, but they're actually portable and not horribly uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I look like a Princess Leia drag cosplayer.

lol, as much as I like them I wouldn't use Grados for portable use

But modding SR60 to SR225's is alright. Depending on the pad you choose you can get a slightly different sound .I got a far better sound from the 225's by using the large G-cushion pads (makes them sound more smooth and open) and Bass boost to the EQ (to compensate from being further away from the ear) .

BUT SR-60's are MEANT to have pads with no holes , so I wouldn't cut them. They probably sound too harsh with holes

I'm thinking of "downgrading" to Koss SportaPro. I remember having these years ago and really digging on the sound until they eventually broke horribly, and they're more comfortable and portable than Grados, which just aren't designed for extended or portable listening.

Downgrade even harder down to the KSC75! Basically the same sound signature, but the KSC75 is less boomy in the bass range. A third of the price.

Can anyone here recommend ear buds (with the call answer button on the line) that don't suck?

I have good Sony headphones for real listening, but need new earbuds for the gym and housework since we finally broke all the ones that came with our various phones and ipods.

BUT SR-60's are MEANT to have pads with no holes , so I wouldn't cut them. They probably sound too harsh with holes

Well, the SR60 pads are around the smaller iGrado pads, so I just cut a hole in the SR60 pads. Does that make sense? it's just something I did on a whim at like 7 in the morning and it's working out.

Can anyone here recommend ear buds (with the call answer button on the line) that don't suck?

I have good Sony headphones for real listening, but need new earbuds for the gym and housework since we finally broke all the ones that came with our various phones and ipods.

The major headphone manufacturers no longer really make earbuds (the kind you don't shove into your ear canal) for the US.

But the Chinese manufacturers have basically stepped it up and are making kick ass buds for a fraction of the price.

Some are available on Amazon. Search for "EarBell" for example (they have red cords and black/white housings) They're pretty good, and you can get them with phone/ipod controller on the line as well.

These are awesome, really nice bass, but ship from China (so it takes a while):

http://www.dasetn.com/croons-tingo-tg38s-earbud-earphones-pk-mx985-a8-hifi-balanced_p3313.html

These are good too, also ship from China:

http://www.dasetn.com/dasetn-mc5-earbuds_p3327.html

These have a really nice sound as well:

http://www.dasetn.com/1pcsdasetn-mod-m1-classic-sound-balanced-type-earbuds-earphone-professional-diyï%C2%BC%C2%88whiteï%C2%BC%C2%89_p3302.html

These are literally for playing podcasts while making dinner or on the elliptical at the gym. Sound quality doesn't REALLY matter, as long as it isn't total shit.

Thabks for the tips blume :)

Probably depends on your ear shape. Also most people just rest the driver on the cartilage in their ear. You have to aim the driver at your ear canal. :P

Shures don't go very deep. Just enough so they hold in place and rubber tip makes a seal

I remember trying Etymotics you have to really jam up the ear canal and they hurt

Image507.jpg

This is a horrible webcam image, but gives you a better idea of what I did. The SR60 ear pads are wrapped around the iGrado ear pads with a hole in the SR60s so as not to muddy up the sound of the iGrados. So the fit of the things have changed. I don't know, Grado just absolutely sucks at making portable headphones. These don't look good in any way, but get the job done. The SR40s were a disaster and the iGrados, despite awesome sound quality and portability, are meant to be worn only in a neckband style with a terribly painful plastic loop around the top of your ears. Awful. The big SR60 pads transform the fit so they simply rest on the sides of my ears with minimal pressure. Success: no stupid plastic thing digging into the top of my ears. If only they would make something similar to the SR40s, just not total shit. Basically sized-down SR60s that aren't cheap pieces of crap that squeeze your head and don't have plastic digging into your ears. Apparently, the iGrados are something of a success since they've been around for a while now and even had one cord revision. Either that or the Chinese manufactured a metric fuckton of them and they're still trying to get rid of them.

Jesus Christ, people always say I look like someone. Can't I just be me? I get Draco Malfoy, Tobey Maguire, Edward Norton, the 10th Doctor, the lead singer from Yellowcard, Scarface, Boston Bomber. I can't get tacos without someone asking me if I'm Tom Felton? I mean what the fuck.

Then don't put your face on the Internet. You live in California, where normal people hope that everyone's a celebrity and are disappointed to find other normal schmos. It's also human nature to compare faces to other faces, it helps with mental association.

Jesus Christ, people always say I look like someone. Can't I just be me? I get Draco Malfoy, Tobey Maguire, Edward Norton, the 10th Doctor, the lead singer from Yellowcard, Scarface, Boston Bomber. I can't get tacos without someone asking me if I'm Tom Felton? I mean what the fuck.

As yourself you probably aren't very interesting and noteworthy. You should try and make use of the fact that you look like other people

Dude, you should say: "Yes, I'm Tom Felton". You'd get your tacos for free.

A young version. One time I was in the checkout at supermarket and there was a magazine with a photo of him from Beatles era on the cover and this girl put it next to my face and said I looked exactly like him.

Mrs. Blume thinks you're cute.

Dammit.

This happens to me everywhere I go. Girls and guys are just all over me. I usually put a stop to that pretty quickly during the initial flirting phase when I tell them, correctly, that all I do with my life is go to Disneyland, watch Star Trek and listen to John Williams. And also that I'm not David Tennant.

Anyways maybe you should give up on portable Grados and try something else.

I've said many times my go to portables are Shure SE215 and I plan to use those as long as they make them

But my hacked iGrados are almost perfect now! I can't listen on anything except Grados. It doesn't sound right. For years, I used SR60s everywhere I went and tied the 17 foot cord around my waist six times like a belt. It was STUPID, but it was worth it to hear the Erich Kunzel Music from Space Camp exactly the way it was intended to be heard.

hey your talking to the guy with Grado GS 1000i's

shure SE215 are about equal to SR60's, maybe a bit better even

they have a similar sound signature to Grado so that's probably why I like them

No , the rubber tip is fitted in your ear and the NEVER fall out

I have a problem with buds falling out too

this:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se215-sound-isolating-earphones

They are 100$, perfect balance of price/quality, and to my ears better than more expensive Shure models

trust me as a fellow Grado fan you won't be disappointed by those Shures

I've been buying earbuds since the 1980's and these are the best ones I ever got

Yes, I used to buy those 100$ ceramic core ones from Sony in the 1990's

• 1 month later...

Okay, I completely ignored your advice. I might send my SR60i's into Grado for repair ($25 flat fee apparently) so I have a back-up pair. I finally retired my iGrados because they shit the bed too. The same right channel cutout that has ended my last three pairs of SR60s. Mother fucker. Mad props to those uncomfortable ear-chopping bastards, though. They've been in use since 2009.

So yeah, I had an emergency yesterday when it turned out I had no functioning Grado headphones. I found a dealer in Long Beach and stopped on the way to Disneyland. I got the SR60e! They're fabulous. I used them all day at work as I traditionally always have, putting the cord through my belt loops. The good news is that the cord is not as thick as the SR60i cord. They're also lighter, which is a good thing. I'm listening to the DCC version of Raiders for the first time on them and I don't think I've ever heard it sound this great.

Image566.jpg

How do you manage to break Grado cords? My SR60 cord was super twisted from 3 years of use but never malfunctioned

I also went to try out the updated Grado GS1000e at the store. Couldn't hear the difference from the i version

They also made me try a fancy expensive tube amp, which I couldn't tell apart from other amps

• 4 weeks later...

that didn't take long

If you use them for portable players , then you shouldn't have the cord sticking out of your pocket. I read this is what causes headphones cords to break with the repeated friction and bending .And this had happened to me time and time again

So now I attach my ipod Nano to a belt clip so it's hanging outside my pocket and the cord is loose, and my earphone cord has lasted for 3 years+ now. ...a record

• 2 weeks later...