Headphones

bob23

3 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Obviously, which is why you stretch out the work for 2-3 hours.

There's no stretching at all.  We have 2 1/2 acres.  It takes a while to do stuff.  

2 hours ago, Jay said:

There's no stretching at all.  We have 2 1/2 acres.  It takes a while to do stuff.  

Have you got a push mower or a ride on?

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

Push

2.5 acres... you'd nearly be entitled to invest in a ride on!

I can totally understand the desire to just get out into the fresh air and do some manual work for a few hours though. 

Don't mind my returning to the topic at hand, but I've been a very happy user of Sennheiser's wonderful Momentum 2.0 on-ear headphones for some time now and I feel they deserve a special mention here! :music: :D Excellent headphones for their size, class and price. I listen mostly to classical, film music, jazz and progressive metal and it all sounds awesome, no matter what I throw at them. Warmly recommended.

81CyfaRp+QL._SL1500_.jpg

My 3M bluetooth workman headphones came in over the weekend and they are very nice.  If you just put them on and aren't even using them to play audio they make great ear protection, really blocks outside noise well.  If you play audio it sounds great for podcasts or any other talking. Music sounds perfectly fine too, but certainly not great.  When they arrived the voice said "battery medium" and after using them for ~4 hours they were still "battery medium" next time I turned them on, which is pretty remarkable.

Thanks for the tip @Blumenkohl, it all worked out really well!

My Audio Technica headphones are 8+ years old, still sound great, but the fabric on the inside of the head strap is dry rotting. Not a showstopper, but it leaves pieces of material in my hair or wherever I sit. 

Has anyone else had this issue? What are some possible solutions, other than replacing the head strap module or the entire unit itself? 

I haven't had that issue with head strap fabric coming off, but I did have to completely replace the ear pads on my good Sony headphones

I have these : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AJIF4E

And I replaced the earpads with these : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MF7W2/

Fit perfectly and are actually more comfortable than the original ones.

Got my Airpods the other day. Beyond impressed. This simple little product is probably the best thing Apple has made in years.

Sound quality probably won't satisfy audiophiles, but for my purposes they're perfect. And any sacrifice in fidelity is more than made up for, in my opinion, in convenience, comfort, and reliablity.  They paired instantly and perfectly with my Macbook Pro and iPhone, and even work great with my Kindle Fire HD.  Haven't had a single drop out, and I barely notice them in my ears.  I do wish they were noise isolating, and that I could control the volume from the Airpods themselves, but those are minor quibbles.

Apple has done a pretty good job of annoying me lately, but they hit it out of the park with these things.  Got a good price (relatively speaking) on them as well.

You see all this positive reaction the the AirPods and you wonder how they can be *that* good but then you get a pair and wonder how you did without them. 

Pairing instantky is great but they ease with which you can switch devices is brilliant. I can go from the iPhone to the iPad to the MacBook Pro without problem and they’ve never not lasted the day.

On 30/01/2018 at 5:48 PM, Bespin said:

Just bought these ones, to listen to music in the bus.

Philips O'Neill THE CONSTRUCT

Very happy of them. The isolation is good, the sound is very neutral, except that it may have a little-little bit more bass than the headphones I keep for the house, but it doesn't bother me at all.

JW rocks with these headphones!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BNEJBA/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_UsHWAbBP8RAN2

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

You see all this positive reaction the the AirPods and you wonder how they can be *that* good but then you get a pair and wonder how you did without them. 

Pairing instantky is great but they ease with which you can switch devices is brilliant. I can go from the iPhone to the iPad to the MacBook Pro without problem and they’ve never not lasted the day.

Yep.  Thanks for rec on them (@Blumenkohl & @Koray Savas as well).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Blumenkohl just wanted to thank you again for that headphone recommendation. There's some kind of magic inside them because I've been using them for yard work since I got them and everytime it's still "battery medium" like it was when I got them, and they last for hours. Yesterday was finally the first day I got a "battery low" and they finally died. I charged them up and got a "battery high" just now and feel like they'll go all summer before the next charge! Thanks again! 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

@Blumenkohl just wanted to thank you again for that headphone recommendation. There's some kind of magic inside them because I've been using them for yard work since I got them and everytime it's still "battery medium" like it was when I got them, and they last for hours. Yesterday was finally the first day I got a "battery low" and they finally died. I charged them up and got a "battery high" just now and feel like they'll go all summer before the next charge! Thanks again! 

Glad you like them! :)

I am really tempted to buy myself some fancy Sennheisers for home use (and amp/DAC). Anything from HD598 to HD700 is within my budget but it's hard to make up my mind. Opinions tend to vary. Which ones would be most suitable for film scores and watching films?

Karol

59 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I am really tempted to buy myself some fancy Sennheisers for home use (and amp/DAC). Anything from HD598 to HD700 is within my budget but it's hard to make up my mind. Opinions tend to vary. Which ones would be most suitable for film scores and watching films?

Karol

HD598 doesn’t need amp, you can drive it straight out of an iPhone no problem. HD700 needs an amp. 

Honestly my AKG K702 paired with an M-Stage HPA-3U+ (Beast of an amp and dac all in one) sounds 98% like the Sennheiser HD800 that I trialed (same amp, it can drive anything) for a while at a fraction of the cost. The Sennheiser sounded slightly more fun with a tad more bass if you were paying close attention. It was also more comfortable. The AKG K702 had a wider soundstage, which work better for orchestral music.

In the US Amazon store a K702 is $187. An HD800 is $1080. An HD700 which is $500

Here is what I would do: get an AKG K702, or 712, or whatever the latest version of it is, buy an M-Stage HPA-3U+, AND get yourself an HD598 (or something with a completely different sound signature, like an Audio Technica M50x, for bass and treble) for when you want to plug into a smartphone directly and you’ll still come out ahead of the higher end Senns!

I've got ATH-M40X which to me sound more neutral to me than 50X. I use them as a more portable pair but need something more posh for home use. I was thinking about AKG's but that band worries me. I've got a rather large head.

Karol

Not far off the mark!

Hey, @Blumenkohl, so you're saying that this amp you're recommending would  be good enough to drive something like Sennheiser HD700? Although the one I'm thinking about is actually HD660s which some local stores have at decent prices.

EDIT: Hmm...those K712 look tempting though. And yeah, cheaper too.

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Not far off the mark!

Hey, @Blumenkohl, so you're saying that this amp you're recommending would  be good enough to drive something like Sennheiser HD700? Although the one I'm thinking about is actually HD660s which some local stores have at decent prices.

EDIT: Hmm...those K712 look tempting though. And yeah, cheaper too.

Karol

Those amps could drive the four jet engines on a 747.   :P

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I've got ATH-M40X which to me sound more neutral to me than 50X. I use them as a more portable pair but need something more posh for home use. I was thinking about AKG's but that band worries me. I've got a rather large head.

Karol

I have a large head as well. They do start digging in at the top of my head after 2-3 hours.

But honestly listening nonstop to music that long isn’t good for hearing, so I consider it a feature. 

OK then bought your recommended combo. Hoping for the best :)

Will see if I fancy buying HD660s sometime later this year. It's not like those K712 were that expensive or anything.

Karol

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

OK then bought your recommended combo. Hoping for the best :)

Will see if I fancy buying HD660s sometime later this year. It's not like those K712 were that expensive or anything.

Karol

Hope you’re ready to hear how bad some recordings/mixes are! That’s what happens when you get to reference level headphones. 

That’s why I encourage people to have a fun pair of headphones that doesn’t show all the details. 

Bruce Botnick? 👌

Shawn Murphy? 👎

His stuff can go either way. It seems to depend on the composer. His Horners are amazing. Williams tend to sound kind of flat, muddy and boring. TLW is a really wild exception. It's tough to revisit other JWs scores from the 90s and 2000s after experiencing that sonic glory.