Headphones

bob23

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't see much point of headphones that are very leaky.

Well, you could enjoy them for their sound.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

As long as you keep replacing those earpads, I'm okay with that.

Actually those pads  are pretty solid ,they have a harder foam layer around the ears .Plus once in a while I wash them in soapy water to remove the oils that  degrade them. I even use lemon oil on the wooden earcups.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They seem quite open, though. I don't see much point of headphones that are very leaky.

I only use those inside

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sure! Personally, I just prefer to listen through speakers when I can choose.

I have decent speakers but these headphones sound a lot better

I tried to make Grados portable and it was ridiculous tieing up that cord. I used to put it around my waistband. They did make a portable set called the iGrado which sounded great but were annoyingly stuck in an uncomfortable "street-style" headband position. I don't know why they don't made a smaller portable over-the-head model. They briefly did.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 12/16/2019 at 1:40 AM, Alexcremers said:

And the HD600 is called the king of neutral.

I don't like flat neutral sound. Boring . I listened to HD800 and didn't like it .

My ideal sound signature is elevated warm bass that does not impede on the lower mids and detail .I also don't like elevated upper midrange (sometimes headphones do this for female vocals) because it can make certain instruments like trumpets sound too loud

14 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

You listen to Grado headphones, which are unnaturally bright.

Not the GS 1000i, at least with the DAC  I use  .They're a lot warmer than  the Seinheiser HD800's, which sound similar in detail and soundstage but a lot flatter 

The other models I had were bright yeah(Grado SR-60 and 225)

The most fatiguing and bright headphones I ever tried was the Sony MDR 7506 (V6) .Lots of detail but i couldn't tolerate them too long like it was shooting razor blades at my ears

The Sennheiser HD 650 are supposedly more 'warm' than the so-called neutral HD 600 and therefore preferred by some. Others say the newer HD 660 S are supposed to be the best of both worlds.

Anyone ever tried Focal headhones? 

400x400.jpg

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

With bass boost, right?

well, it is bassy but the midrange and detail is also excellent. Fiio is pretty cutting edge and they focus on sound instead of looks at an affordable price. Tons of research seems to go into every new earphone they produce

12 minutes ago, King Mark said:

My current portable earphone is the Fiio FH-1. Quite excellent overall. I had the more expensive F9Pro but now I prefer this one

https://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-fh1/2/

How much?

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Dr. Dre would agree!

Nah, I know what Dr Dre sound like and they suck. I have a pretty good ear, so you should take my recommendations seriously. Sometimes you act like your the ultimate audiophile and dismiss my posts like I'm ignorant or something (or you could be just joking around but)

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Nah, I know what Dr Dre sound like and they suck. I have a pretty good ear, so you should take my recommendations seriously. Sometimes you act like your the ultimate audiophile and dismiss my posts like I'm ignorant or something (or you could be just joking around but)

Does Alex even listen to music?

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Don't worry, I'm only joking. 

No problem, but they are good earphones, and I've tried a lots of them . My audio store has demos I can try for many brands . Each one I buy comes closer to my "ideal" sound. I had Shure SE 215 for years that sounded good overall, but detail is muddy compared to Fiio, the Fiio F9pro that sounded great but maybe a bit too trebly for long term listening and now the FH-1 that has good detail and warmth and not fatiguing for listening for long periods

I also  have this app for my ipod. The EQ presets (no custom EQ) on the apple music app suck and with this one you can sculpt the sound exactly like you want it. I was never a fan of EQ until I got this app and I learned a lot  how specific frequencies affect the sound and make small alterations.

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/denon-audio/id520604518

And another thing . IEM's are of 3 types . Dynamic (1 dynamic driver ), Hybrid (1 dynamic driver for bass and balanced armatures for mids and treble),  and Balanced Armatures (BA) only

Now I would only buy HYBRID . I have yet to try a full Balanced Armature (BA) earphone that sounds good including some 400$+multiple driver models, there's a sort of lifelessness to them

I also tried the 600$ flagship 5 driver Fiio FH7 for a few hours

https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-fh7-review/

The sound is super flat and neutral if that's what you like. Since I prefer something slightly warmer I didn't see the point of spending that much just to have to tweak the sound to my liking

Our local Mediamarkt has a big display with open jacks so you can try them all out, that's how I chose mine for pretty cheap. If there's a similar opportunity at a store near you I'd definitely do that, at least to start.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Our local Mediamarkt has a big display with open jacks so you can try them all out, that's how I chose mine for pretty cheap. If there's a similar opportunity at a store near you I'd definitely do that, at least to start.

Unfortunately, no...:(

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't recommend the HD201 at all. Very low extremely flat sound. They're also bulky and uncomfortable. You're better off with a pair of Koss Porta Pro.

These ones?

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/32154/Koss-Porta-Pro-Classic.html

I read so many excellent reviews.