Headphones

bob23

They have an excellent price/quality ratio, I made my researches.

I’ll use them to watch movies on my new smart TVs. For listening to music, I need a wire!

image_6ffc5476-5492-473c-9a8b-0fdf989f9d

I saw these today in the window of an Antwerp Hi-Fi shop. I thought to myself, hmm, those might be good. I wonder what they cost? Oops! 3000 Euro?! Never mind!

• 2 months later...

Question: Are surround headphones worth the money? I have speakers, but some people find the wires irritating. I somehow doubt you can get the same experience with headphones, though.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Question: Are surround headphones worth the money?

I've heard they are a hoax (something to do with drivers so close to each other that the effect is lost) and that you better spend your money on good stereo headphones.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:02 AM, Bilbo said:

Sennheiser HD201s are pretty decent budget headphones. 

On 1/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't recommend the HD201 at all. Very low extremely flat sound. They're also bulky and uncomfortable.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 202 IIs, I'm very happy with them and they are quite affordable if one can find a new or a good used pair (think they have been superceded by a newer model).

41Cejud2WcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

l_10178527_011.jpg

Picked up these Sony Bluetooth N/C. They've been on sale for 130 and seemed to be a reasonable model based on the reviews. With bluetooth headsets, they seem to want you to spend several hundred for an uptick in comfort, sound quality and N/C ability, with the lower-end ones criticized constantly. I'm definitely not spending that, especially since I've never even owned bluetooth or N/C headphones. It's true. These are my first.

They are quite comfortable and the sound is almost perfect to my ears. I threw on some movies to test them out and I was extremely pleased with the balance. A good test for sound equipment is Batman Forever because the music tends to underscore most of the scenes but is mixed in a way where you may not even notice it. These meet somewhere in between perfectly, especially with some tweaking. Sony's app is alright but they have the pointless gimmicky enhancements which muddy up the sound. Like the ludicrous speed emergency stop lever, never use. 

Music is quite pleasant as well. There's a surprising amount of bass, which is always Sony's thing to boast about, but it isn't overwhelming. It's pounding and badass when it needs to be. N/C is rather good but I won't use it that often. The neighborhood leaf blowers were pissing me the hell off and this drowns them right out while I'm standing outside having a smoke. It's glorious. 

Definitely a good purchase. I'm already using them more than I intended to. They'll probably become my go-tos for home listening. I'll never wear them in public if we're ever allowed out again because like all over-the-air muff style headphones, they make everyone look like Princess Leia hairstyle. Awful.

• 1 month later...

Fiio FH-1s

I think I finally found my "end game" portable earphones after a lifetime of waiting and searching and the "dream sound" I was looking for. These are absolutely phenomenal and blow away everything I heard so far. But as the review says (please read it carefully) , to take full advantage of the huge bass driver you need to EQ up below 250 Hz so you need a custom EQ on your portable player (not the shit default one with bad presets on the Apple music player app). This is not bloated bass that muddy up the midrange, and the detail and soundstage on these is phenomenal. Super smooth Treble no harshness. I might even buy extra pairs in case they break eventually (I had to buy them on ebay directly from Hong Kong)

https://headfonics.com/fiio-fh1s-review/

I previously owned Fiio F9pro (super clear and detailed but lack bass and has some treble peaks than can sound harsh) and older model Fiio FH-1 (better overall tone than F9pro but not as detailed).

On 5/26/2018 at 4:37 AM, Blumenkohl said:

The Koss KSC75 can best be described as:

$300 sound for $9. No amp needed. Absolutely portable. Completely Comfortable. Durable. Fantastic warranty. Despite all the money I've spent on other headphones, I come back to them again and again. If anyone is ever unsure of where to start in audiophile headphones, these are it. You simply cannot go wrong unless you're starving to death and it's your last $9. In which case you should buy some high calorie food. 

Anyways, Koss recently released wireless versions of the KSC75's bigger, bassier, darker PortaPro: 

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Bluetooth-Headphones-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B079ZB9JLL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527334574&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=Koss+Wireless&psc=1

Bought? Yes, will let you know how it goes. 

Do you still recommend these two years later?

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That bad?

My wife has no problems. She is 5’7”. I’m 6’4”. It does not work consistently with phone in my pockets.

Mine won't, they've tried a lot and I refuse to have surgery for this because the risks are way too big (permanent ringing in the ear, facial paralysis, loss of taste, even worse hearing etc).

4 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Yep.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about the wireless PortaPro?

I thought I remember reading that they have a darker sound, and I prefer a more neutral one. I'm looking for cheap headphones for production at the moment, and I would actually prefer wired ones as well.

The wireless PortaPro has that stupid wire around the back. Obviously, the wireless capability was just slapped into it and that's their solution, a friggin' wire with tabs.

The actual PortaPro headset is super comfy and beautifully retro these days, lacking in any modern alterations!

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I thought I remember reading that they have a darker sound, and I prefer a more neutral one. I'm looking for cheap headphones for production at the moment, and I would actually prefer wired ones as well.

Just buy the original PortaPro then. :)

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

I had porta pros a long time ago. They're ok but you can do a lot better in this day and age

Not really for the same price. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing The Last Of Us exclusively with headphones on and its been pretty immersive, other than how hilarious abruptly the soundscape changes when you swing the camera to, say, looking outside vs looking inside where you are near the outside of a building for example

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've been playing The Last Of Us exclusively with headphones on and its been pretty immersive, other than how hilarious abruptly the soundscape changes when you swing the camera to, say, looking outside vs looking inside where you are near the outside of a building for example

Unfortunately these didn’t arrive for my replay of Last of Us or my first play through of Part 2 but I will get to experience those games with these headphones at some point. I’ll probably do a play through later in the year before the PS5 comes out. 

• 1 month later...

I'd like your recommendations. I want to buy a new pair of headphones, preferably hearing-aid compatible (my current hearing aid actively blocks the sound of headphones and normal phones). Obviously good sound, but doesn't need to be the best sound in the world. Also with an ordinary wire that you can plug into your computer. No noise cancelling or any other fancy features needed.

I have the Pioneer SE-MS7BT, which are quite decent mid-price headphones. They cover the whole ear. There's no noise-cancelling, but they're closed so there's not much sound leakage to the outside world and vice versa. They're bluetooth but can also be used with a removable cord. The padded headband and ear cushions are really comfy. They're a bit bulky, but I don't mind that. I have no idea if they're hearing-aid compatible.

undefined

Right, turns out all I need are headphones that go completely over the ears because my hearing aid's amplifier needs to be able to pick up the sounds. Ordered something rather big from €135, will see what happens.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It was time to up my headphones game so to keep company AKG's K702 Reference and K271 Mk II and Sennheiser's Momentum 2.0, I got the mighty Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm cans matched with Swissonic's HAD-1 High Performance DAC/headphone amp. Match made in audiophile heaven indeed! :wub::music::D JW Live In Vienna now really, really does sound like the very next best thing to being there.

Well, I've had these Razer THX headphones for a day now and I'm completely sold on them. Great purchase! I was initially worried because they were "Gaming Headphones" (Whatever that means) and I read some rather scathing or unimpressed reviews. Well, like Rambo once said, fuck 'em. I couldn't resist because of not only the THX certification but the the branding on the cans. Jesus, they are sexy, especially in this Midnight Blue.

They sound completely phenomenal to me. I won't listen on anything else ever again as long as they make these beauties.

• 4 months later...

Okay, I'm trying my luck here.

I MAY have overused my earbuds or listened too loudly, even though I'm always very careful. Anyway, I've had ringing in my ears for four days now, but I should also mention the ringing only began after microsuction some six months ago and I can only hear it when my attention is not focused on something else.

How do I know if my volume was too loud? I am using a Lenovo laptop, can't include the type right now. Have Realtek HD Audio Manager and Dolby Atmos, which is in Movie Mode without any alterations. Basically, it means everything sounds sharper and clearer and abrupt volume changes are limited. I'm listening at a 10% volume using earbuds and 14% using earphones as per Windows' Volume indicator. Surely that's not too loud? I tried turning off Atmos to see what my normal volume percentage would be and I think it's around 20%, but can't be sure.