Headphones

bob23

On 25/02/2023 at 11:11 AM, Jay said:

I was asking for JWFan's specific own recommendations from their own experiences, not someone to google things for me

I use Sony's MDR1000x, which are a few years old at this point. The newest model is the WH1000XM5. They are very good at both noise cancellation and for listening to music. You might be able to get the xm4's cheaper, and they are still very good. 

As for frequency response and sound reproduction, the supposed "alteration" to the sound needs to be weighed against the amount of noise that would otherwise be effecting what you are listening to. I use them at work, where it can be quite noisy. The noise cancelling lets me hear the music better than I otherwise would.

If you are concerned about Bluetooth audio quality (more a problem on iPhone) they can be wired. They can also be powered on, but with noise cancelling turned off for optimum audio quality. Do not listen to people who tell you wired connections on nq headphones are pointless. They are wrong.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

I use Sony's MDR1000x, which are a few years old at this point. The newest model is the WH1000XM5. They are very good at both noise cancellation and for listening to music. You might be able to get the xm4's cheaper, and they are still very good. 

As for frequency response and sound reproduction, the supposed "alteration" to the sound needs to be weighed against the amount of noise that would otherwise be effecting what you are listening to. I use them at work, where it can be quite noisy. The noise cancelling lets me hear the music better than I otherwise would.

If you are concerned about Bluetooth audio quality (more a problem on iPhone) they can be wired. They can also be powered on, but with noise cancelling turned off for optimum audio quality. Do not listen to people who tell you wired connections on nq headphones are pointless. They are wrong.

I treated myself to a pair of the Sony WH1000XM4 during covid and love them. The sound quality is great as is the noise cancelling, it even manages to make music audible on the Tube which on some lines is quite an achievement (Central Line. I’m looking at you). Battery life is excellent too. I think the WH1000XM5 offers further improvement but a second hand pair of the older model would probably do you well. I’ve not noticed much in the way of wear on them either despite regular office and travel use. 

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

You can always replace the earpads.

Oh hey that's true isn't it

7 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Oh yes, anything I get her would have to have a wired option since on a plane she'll be plugged into the entertainment system of the plane through a standard headphone jack.  But then bluetooth would be nice for when she listens to something served from her phone

11 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

My trusty MDR1000's broke tonight after 5 years of heavy use. Time for an upgrade, I guess.

What broke exactly?

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

What broke exactly?

The headband just above the earcup. I lifted one side to listen to something, and it broke. You can hold your hand over the right earcup, and it turns off the noise cancelling so you can hear. I'll have to remember to do that more with my new ones. Still, I used these 5-8 hours a day for 5 years. I got my money's worth out of them

9 hours ago, Jay said:

So what's the different between Sony's MDR line and their WH1 (XM_)  line?

I believe the MDR line is all wired, studio-type headphones. I gather they are also pretty good, but don't have any experience with them.

Can anyone recommend an affordable pair of headphones for a newby who knows nothing at all about headphones that just wants a much better listening experience than my £5 pair of crappy earphones?

I don't have a computer, only a samsung phone with a standard port for wired earphones. So the headphones will need to be able to connect to my samsung phone. My phone does support wireless earbuds too, so I guess it could support wireless headphones as well...but as I said, I'm basically completely useless with this stuff. 

And with the release of the Orville's new score, I want to have a better listening experience.

It turns out one of my wife's friends has a cousin or something that works for Bose, so she can get QC45's for half-off, so that's what she's gonna do!

• 4 weeks later...

Awaiting my Sennheiser HD 560S. Could arrive any minute now. Some even think it's better than the legendary HD 600 (which I have) so I was curious and it's only 119 Euro right now on Amazon BE. At least it will be easier to drive than the HD 600.

sennheiser-1606905966.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

A crazy audiophile friend of mine (he has at least a hundred thousand dollars of audio equipment in his house including a pair of STAX SR-009s electrostatic headphones powered by a Blue Hawaii tube amp) game me these IEM earphones saying they were pretty good. 5 drivers per ear (5 driver IEMS used to cost 1000$ a few years ago). Oh and they are good, possibly the best IEM's I ever tried.  This replaces some Fiio's I was using for the last few years.

KZ ZS 10Pro X , about 50$usd

https://www.amazon.ca/ZS10-Écouteurs-intra-auriculaires-amovible-audiophile/dp/B0BCG5S5QK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1