Headphones

bob23

I hear Dr. Dre's Hip Hop headphones (Solo 2) are way more balanced these days.

(probably leaving the Hip Hop scene disappointed)

beats-solo-2_zpsqhiywx54.jpg

Probably traditional. I don't mind looking a bit goofy with headphones on a train, I see other people use them too. Whatever gives me the best sound while canceling out background noise. The earbuds that came with my iPhone just don't give me that low end or clarity. If I was listening to rock music or something I wouldn't care much, but I listen to a lot of classical music. Earbuds don't do it justice.

Marcy uses these at work and loves them

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KJJKVG/

I like those (without the i). You can't beat the comfort they offer. I use them to watch TV (film or TV series) when it's late in the evening. Their low impedance means I can use the TV itself as an amp.

She actually has the version without the i, but I linked to that one because Tim said he was going to listen to an Apple device

• 5 weeks later...

At this point, it's an almost universally known fact that Beats suck, so it's akin to buying cigarettes. You know they're bad, but you thought they made you look cool, and now you can't break the habit.

Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado Grado

I don't get it, does any fool here own Beats?

If not, why do we keep discussing beats in this thread? I'm missing something.

Brands like Beats benefit from negative publicity.

I don't get it, does any fool here own Beats?

If not, why do we keep discussing beats in this thread?

People like to feel superior. They're not actually discussing the products; they're insulting the people who buy them. It's really not all that different to endlessly tearing into the Prequel Trilogy just to mock and undermine the fans who enjoy them.

If anyone is looking for a good, cheap pair of earbuds, I highly recommend this pair. I think they sound pretty good, and comparable to $50 pairs I have had, and they last up to 6 months for me, which is amazing since I tend to go through earbuds monthly. Definitely worth the price, even as just a back up.

For my part, i'm still very satisfied with my Philips CityScape Downtown. Altough they've been discontinued, they are still easy to find on Amazon, neutral headphones for a very good price, and an OK isolation for the bus in my case. There is a microphone and a button, you'll need an adapter to plug it on an older device.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/philips-citiscape-downtown-photos

Anyone here have any good experiences with bluetooth headphones or earbuds?

No, but I've been eyeing these, and would love for you to be a guinea pig.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B00Q3OHC94

Your weblink doesn't work properly, too many garbage characters at the end of the url, but typing the buzz words works. I've found that wearing single piece wrap around headphones like that squeezes uncomfortably on the temples of my eyeglasses. I prefer over the head ear cup headphones for home and ear independent earbuds for work.

I'm not ready for wireless or bluetooth headphones.

Imagine one instant a situation where your mp3 player is charged, but your headphones are not. Or a situation where your headphones are full charge, but your player is dead.

Life is already too complicated!

• 2 weeks later...

Bluetooth headphones and me don't get along. Could never get them to sync with my phone, so I just stick with wired sets. I like my Sony MDR-7506 set. If they're good enough for studio engineers to mix music, they're good enough for me. :)

Yes I use Sony MDR 7506 s myself, when I'm at home.

I'm still looking for a perfect portable option

I just want to get my Grados repaired so I can go back to using them as portable headphones. But they work as long as I don't screw around with the headphone jack and I don't want to lose them for like a month. For symphonic music, there's nothing else I can really depend on. Well, maybe some Koss. Maybe I should just send in my old SR60i that are totally shot first and have those repaired for $25, then send in the SR60e when those arrive. I could also get my iGrados fixed, but those are painful. Why can't I stop ruining my Grados!

I've read Grados are high in treble. Any truth to that?

Jay, I used to use Thinksound earbuds for portable use before I stopped using earbuds altogether because they bother my ears if used for an extended period of time. I know they don't have a bluetooth headset, but I think their ts-02 model has a microphone in it. I bought this model without the microphone and found it quite good with plucked instruments and female vocals.

http://www.amazon.com/Thinksound-ts02-Isolating-Headphone-microphone/dp/B00428AISA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436055709&sr=8-2&keywords=thinksound+ts02

They get bass extension as you move up the line. The GS1000i has the best bass I've heard in headphones (while keeping the treble detail)

If anyone is looking for a good, cheap pair of earbuds, I highly recommend this pair. I think they sound pretty good, and comparable to $50 pairs I have had, and they last up to 6 months for me, which is amazing since I tend to go through earbuds monthly. Definitely worth the price, even as just a back up.

Taikomochi, just wanted to thank you for this recommendation. I picked up 2 pairs, and now leave one at work to use there, and one is my everyday walking around pair. They do indeed sound very good for $5 headphones!! I only have 2 problems: 1 is that there is no button/microphone on them (so I can't pause the music or use it to make phone calls) and 2 is that the damn plug is always coming out of my phone! So the pair I have at work are great, cause they are never going to come unplugged from the computer and I don't need to make calls, but the other pair frustrates me so much when I'm doing laundry or cooking dinner or something and the cord is always coming out and I have to not only reach down to plug it back in, but also pull out the whole phone and unlock the screen to unpause the music/podcast.

So my search continues to cheap everyday walking around headphones; I think I might try out these:

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Method-Resistant-Sports-Performance/dp/B00NTR5GBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436191246&sr=8-1

Glad to see you found something you like Jay. :) I've had Panasonic headsets in the past and have never had a complaint about them. You should've said you didn't want to spend a fortune then I wouldn't have linked you to a $90 headset.

For walking, I've found Sony's to be a good buy, again, when I wore earbuds. I had angled ones that came with my devices. They just sat in the ears without any insertion trouble and the larger drivers allowed to sound like a bigger set. They were like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABOPJ1U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000PCH3FI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13899GX3TT1M5CNYCP31

I don't know what their successor is as they're refurbished these days.

I had already bought the $5 earbuds before I asked about Bluetooth ones. Those were a necessity and a quick fix to an immediate problem. I'm still considering a Bluetooth option.

Cheap and performant earbuds?

I actually have two pairs of those:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9927

Warning, after more than one year of usage, the cord is a bit twisted, but they still do the job at 100 %. Isolation is good for the job, but not for the bus.

I actually prefer my work headphones to not be noise cancelling / isolating, so I can still hear everything going on in my office

I am considering a new headphone purchase. I currently have a pair of bose earpiece headhones that I use for gym. I would like to get a good quality pair of headphones for listening to scores and watching movies in my apartment. I'm not an overly technical person. I get the concept of dynamic range but beyond that I really get lost in many of the descriptions of quality headphones. I know enough to know that Skull Candy and Beats are overhyped and overpriced. I am looking between a Sennheiser HD 598 & 650. There is quite a difference in price between them and according to a youtube review the 650 requires an amp to run it seeing my source is mostly my laptop or iphone. I was hoping there might be a few of you who are knowledgable enough to inform me if hte 650 is worth the extra money. Which is considerable. I don't have a trained ear. I'm not a professional audiophile. But I do appreciate quality. Is there a big enough difference between the 650 and the 598 to warrent the price? Would I, being just a fan, even be able to notice the difference? Because of where I live at the moment there is no where I can go to test these headphones. I'm relying soley on second hand information.

The 598 is great. I can't imagine that you'd really need the 650.

In general, Sennheiser will be worth the money at whatever model level you go for. I don't buy any other brand.