Headphones

bob23

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Yeah, Trudeau pardons the people you don't expect, and rejects those who should be accepted. He's a weird PM.

Back to talk.

The thing that is weird, is that he's the fucking son of Pierre Eliott Trudeau. It's a curse...

It's like Omen II or III.

Well, unfortunately he's exactly like his father.. Like him he don't speak french as good as his english... Or english as good as his french... Well, they speak Trudeau... Fucking aliens. Traitors to their nation.

His father one said about one of our Prime Minister in Québec that he was a "hot dog eater".

Yes, it may have two meanings.

Great Trudeau Father quote!

So...what are best in-ear headphones for our film music purposes? I've been using mostly the lower end Sennheiser CX 3.00 but they will soon be dead (judging my the condition of the cable). They're not perhaps the best pair but served me well over the past couple of years. I'm always bit more cautious to spend a lot of money on earbuds as they tend to break easily and it's something I'd be using almost every day. Doesn't seem to be worth the money. But, at the same time, I can  probably do better even for that price. Any affordable suggestions? @Blumenkohl? Anyone?

Byerdynamic Byron, Soundmagic E10, FAD E2000/3000 were some of the options considered.

Karol 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Have you looked into the Google Chromecast Audio?

2000780535.png

It's good.

On 6/5/2018 at 6:59 PM, Stefancos said:

Anyone got tips on what to look for in a good Bluetooth transmitter that i can hook up to my reciever?

Main use will be for wireless headphones.

I bought this one which can be used both as receiver and transmitter, and I only have good things to say about it, including the low price. It's like a group of engineers sat down and asked themselves how can we make the best possible Bluetooth RX/TX at the lowest possible price? It also supports low latency audio so you can use it with your TV without getting a noticeable audio delay.

image.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2in1-Bluetooth-V4-1-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless-Audio-Adapter-Aptx-Low-Latency/152818413137

54 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What a good, affordable one for orchestral music?

I recently got the Pioneer SE-MS7BT-T:

Review:

https://blog.richersounds.com/product-review-pioneer-se-ms5t-se-ms7bt/

Bottom line: quite good for the price, and neutral sound.

Here's some user reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-SE-MS7BT-K-Headphone-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B01NA6SMTK

On 08/06/2018 at 3:08 AM, Blumenkohl said:

No opinion on IEMs since I don’t use them!

That doesn't mean you can't have an opinion. It wouldn't stop most people. ;)

Karol

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What do you use, Croc?

For the home listening I currently use a terrific pair of AKG K712's with an amp (as recommended by Blume and Marian). They sound terrifc and are extremely light and comfortable (not a lot of clamping force though, if something like this bothers you):

61LbKd1+GSL._SX425_.jpg

I also have a pair of ATH-M40x (a cheaper and flatter-sounding little brother of popular ATH-M50's) whenever I go home (abroad) or something like that. They are supposed to be what Blume calls "fun" headphones - solid sound but leaning more towards mainstream and not as wide of sound stage:

i-audio-technica-ath-m40x-czarny.jpg

And I also got a pair of in-ear headphones. One of them is simple Sennheiser CX 3.00 (they are quite basic but at least I can afford to batter those) as well as a gorgeous pair of SoundMAGIC E10 which sounds quite stunning for £35:

preview.jpg

I am by no means an audiophile of any sort but I tend to research products more these days. Read some reviews and ask around. None of the products above cost a fortune for what they are but they serve their purpose well. In fact most of them (other than Sennheiser) sound much better than their price tag would suggest.

I haven't got any Bluetooth headphones at all but I'm open to the idea.

Karol

2 minutes ago, Fal said:

Which of the IEM's sound better? the Sennheiser or the SoundMAGIC?

SoungMAGIC, no doubt. At this price few things will match it. I'm quite impressed with the sound stage.

Karol

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

... and not as wide of sound stage:

A few simple general headphones basics:

- Open-back headphones have poor sound isolation (in & out), often lack sub-bass, but offer a wide sound stage. 

- Closed-back headphones have better sound isolation, bass goes deeper, but the sound stage is not as wide

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

What do you prefer personally, Alex?

Difficult to say ... Open-back puts the music in a sense of space, makes it lively, yet homogeneous. Closed-back is more direct, closer to the instruments. Two different experiences that I both like. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Thank you!

SoundMAGIC has been around since 2011 (I think). There are different variations, of course, with remotes and whatnot. I suppose they would all sound similar. Of the newer products at a similar price, Beyerdynamic Byron and Final E2000 (or E3000) are supposed to be good. It's really hard to recommend because sound is such a subjective thing. Plus the cheaper in-ear headphones won't probably as durable as more expensive stuff (which is always a risk). I wouldn't spend more than £50 on a pair anyway, mostly for that reason. But even at this price range, all of the above sound really good. Sennheiser ones I sitill have sound good but you'd probably need to spend a tiny bit more to get that.

Karol

BTW, Steef, you can always go to your local Bax Music Shop if you want to compare between headphones. Maybe it will help to make up your mind. I went there a few days ago and discovered that the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro is also a worthy contender for those in need of a new pair of headphones.

beyerdynamic-DT-880-pro-hero.jpg

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

BTW, Steef, you can always go to your local Bax Music Shop if you want to compare between headphones. Maybe it will help to make up your mind. I went there a few days ago and discovered that the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro is also a worthy contender for those in need of a new pair of headphones.

beyerdynamic-DT-880-pro-hero.jpg

These are like the AKG K702 but with shrill highs. Cymbals will make your ears bleed. 

I like them for for video games though.