Classical Music

Can anyone give me the approximate running times of these 3 pieces?

Moesorgski: 'Chovansjtsjina'

Mozart: Pianoconcert nr. 23, KV 488

Tsjaikovski: 4th symphony

I'll be seeing then in concert in Amsterdam tomorrow, starting at 20:15, I'd like to know how late this finishes and when I'll be able to get home.

Hmmm..."Symphony" sounds rather long.... :mrgreen:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The symphony's only 3 and a half minutes, if its Tchaikovsky's. The Mozart Concert is made up of three movements, clocking in at approximately 7 minutes, 6:45, and 12 minutes.

Edit: I've found the first one. Its Chowanschtsina, by Mussorgsky, and runs is about 5 minutes long.

Steef attending a classical music concert?? The shock, the horror! :D

I think you'll last until it's over - if you can survive the Mozart Piano Concerto that is, hehe.....

Sounds like a nice concert...Which orchestra will you be seeing? The Concertgebouw?

Doesn't sound like a very impressive concert.

Morlock- who's been spoiled rotten lthis last season by the local phillharmonics, seeing The Rite of Spring, Shostakovich's 2nd piano concerto, Dvorak's 9th and his Slavonic dances, Mendelssohn's violin concerto and Italian Symphony, Beethoven's 3rd & 7th, Handel's Messiah, Mozart's 22nd piano concerto, Elgar's violin concerto, Vivaldi's Madollin concerto, among several other more forgettable pieces.

I hate to tell you this, Steef, but the Tchaikovsky 4th symphony is about 40 minutes. And it's awesome! The brass fanfare at the beginning is very chilling, even more so when it returns at the end of the last movement. Oops, I've given away the ending...

Speaking of opera and Amsterdam, you can't miss the european premiere of John Adams' "Doctor Atomic" in June.

6/10/2007

Adams, John: Doctor Atomic (European premiere)

Peter Sellars, director / Netherlands Opera / Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra / Lawrence Renes

Netherlands Opera, Amsterdam, Netherlands

It's the best opera of the new millenium.

You haven`t been to a classical music concert until you have seen Mahler performed! What an experience! If anybody is around Ireland on Fri 2nd Feb then endeavour to get to the National Concert Hall in Dublin for a performance of Mahler`s 5th!

- Tim.

ps You`ll enjoy Tchaikovsky`s 4th Steef - tremendously exciting! :D

You can test ipod concert recording,if you got that microphone.It may pave the way for good recordings of a HP suite Williams might play this year.

K.M.

Still,it would be nice to know the quality of the recordings.I'm sure lots of people going to see a Williams concert this year might buy a microphone for their ipods if the quality is good...I know i would.

K.M.

Ok so I'm back from that concert.

This is the second time I've been in the Royal Concertgebouw, and it's an impossibly pretty building with brilliant acoustics, better then the Barbican I thought, I sat second row in the balcony and even with my shitty hearing I could hear everything very well.

I'm guessing the Mussorgsky piece was a prelude, sounded pretty good, whistfull but a bit sad. A nice opening.

I was gottewn when after that most of the brass section and the percussion section left the stage and a big grand piano appeared on the stage.

Mozart: Pianoconcert nr. 23, KV 488

Exactly the kind of concert music I just don't care for. Endless doodling on a piano followed by strings and woodwinds playing in support, followed by more endless doodling.

It wasn't offensive, or ugly, or terrible in any way, but it wasn't for me.

After that there was a 20 minute break, most of which was spend standing in line for a tiny bottle of minute maid that cost me €3.20 (Capitalist classical fucks!)

The second part was reverved entirely for Tsjaikovsky's Fourth Symphony.

Hearing this, it is indeed clear that a lot of film composers have taken inspiration from him, this musical language was a bit closer to that of film music, though more towards Golden Age (I was never a fan) then the more contempory music that has my preferance.

It is however a great work out for an orchestra, the Royal Concertgebouw orchestra impresses with their fanfares, lighting fast strings and delightfull pizzicato.

It's a pity they don't seem to do work on film scores at all, the only score I know of they recorded was Barry's last one Enigma, and that's a bit boring.

Overall an enjoyable way to spend an evening. It pretty much confirmed what I have felt for years now. While there is essentially nothing wrong with any of this music (which is why it's still being played after the composers have long since died) It doesn't really float my boat.

The main enjoyment was just seeing a good orchestra performing in front of me in a brilliant hall.

Now if they would only program a John Williams evening, or the LOTR Symphony.....

(BTW, I managed to record a small portion of it, so I'll be able to compare 2 different types of microphones)

Overall an enjoyable way to spend an evening. It pretty much confirmed what I have felt for years now. While there is essentially nothing wrong with any of this music (which is why it's still being played after the composers have long since died) It doesn't really float my boat.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about classical. It's good music, just not my style.

I don't like it when people assume that you like classical music because you like film scores. They are, in fact, two genres that are very different.

I don't think it's technically known as classical, but I like generally music from 1800s to the present - I think that covers Romantic, 20th century - and obviously film music.

I don't like it when people assume that you like classical music because you like film scores.

Indeed, I hate that too.

They are, in fact, two genres that are very different.

Yup. I always have to try to exlpain to people that they are very different. I for one am not a real big fan of classical music for the most part it bores me a lot.

A good deal of classical music makes you thankful for people like Prokofiev and Alexander North (and there's more) who have given us the modern sound of orchestra today.

A good deal of classical music makes you thankful for people like Prokofiev and Alexander North (and there's more) who have given us the modern sound of orchestra today.

What did North give us? His impact lies solely in film music, and is not terribley wide-spread, at that. And Stravinsky is the one who had the largest impact on 20th century music (although to me, Prokofiev is my favorite non-film composer of the 20th century).

The Mozart Piano Concerto 23 is among the finest pieces of music ever composed. I would consider it my most favorite piece of music of any genre.

I might, but I'm going because at work we print for the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra and that's why we got free tickets. I don't think my boss will take kindly to me bootlegging a customer.

What do you print for Het Concertgebouw?Concert posters?

Just curious.

I love classical music, especially Dvorak, Beethoven, R. Strauss, Rachmaninov, etc.

People who love orchestral film music might find more enjoyment out of tone poems, like "Also Sprach Zarathustra", "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", "The Water Goblin", and others, because of the story-like, picture-painting quality of the music.

Tim

Theme from 2001: A Space Odessey

Ode to Joy from Die Hard

Ride Of The Valkrys from King Solomon's Mines

Something by Shastokovic on a live webcast even though we were promised a John Williams concert performance

The Lord Of The Rings Symphony by that Dutch guy

And what I heard last friday.

Why?

I don't like it when people assume that you like classical music because you like film scores. They are, in fact, two genres that are very different.

I beg to differ. (yay another thread with disccussion) Look at it this way. Classical music has always had multiple genres within the broad spectrum we associate as classical music. In the 1800s, we had ballet to which programmatic music was written for. Or, there was opera, which likewise often had programmatic music. Even plays had incidental music which either stood on its own as intermissions or played beneath the spoken dialogue (ex. Grieg and Ibsen's Peer Gynt)

So now having arrived at the 20th/21st century, I sincerely believe that we now have a new genre, known as Film Scores. Like the 1800s where they had incidental music to plays in particular, we now have incidental music to film scores. In fact, I think you would agree with me that the origins of Film Scores back in the day was similar to the Incidental Music for plays in that it provides a background and sets the mood for what is taking on the screen.

However, there will be some who argue that because film scores generally do not use modern idioms, it is not classical. I beg to differ because it is being used in a clichéd circumstance such as horror, action, suspense, etc. Rarely do you associate serialistic techniques with a romantic love scene (though in Basic Instinct, Goldsmith did use highly dissonant chords for Pillow Talk). There will also be others who argue because the goal of classical music is to develop themes using motifs and forms, film scores are not considered to be true classical music. Let us look at that closely. Film scores do have form, the overture/main titles, internal cues, and then the end credits. Also, in terms of motifs, there is a large variety of classical music that does not have intense motivic development, in particular, much of the programmatic music of the Romantic Era. Would you not agree that Liszt's Les Preludes does not really have development, since it is the SAME theme, just in different guises, very akin to the techniques used in John Williams's Scores, with a theme say Skywalker's Theme but in different guises?

Well those were my thoughts. I'm interested to hear other opinions.

Look it's as simple as this.

The Beatles use a few guitars, vocals and a drum set.

So did Nirvana.

But if you love The Beatles it doesn't automatically mean that you love Nirvana.

Also, tony, your example of Basic Instinct is poor, since you cited a romantic love scene, Basic Instinct is in it's very nature not about romance.

Ode to Joy from Die Hard

Something by Shastokovic on a live webcast even though we were promised a John Williams concert performance

Why?

Just curious.

Karol

Ode to Joy from Die Hard

Why?

So , if you go to the concert once a month , after couple of years you have many classical favorites... :rolleyes: