Classical Music

When it comes to classical, I like Holst, Sousa, and some of Gershwin's stuff. Then there are a few separate pieces from other guys which I think sound cool.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So , if you go to the concert once a month , after couple of years you have many classical favorites... :rolleyes:

Why would I go to a concert once a month?

I don't even go to the cinema once a month....

If you are getting free tickets time to time...and the Concertgebouw orchestra is great...acoustics of that

hall is amazing...

This must mean we'll be seeing you more often in the classical section of FAME now??? It's good that you're broadening your horizons...for a change.

Hitch, who may go to Amsterdam for the European premiere of John Adams' "Doctor Atomic" having heard a sneak preview of one of the arias from it in the Albert Hall in London a few years ago.

For someone who is into film scores, I would strongly recommend Scheherezade, by Rimsky-Korsakov. It is programatic music at its best.

If you like film scores, you are going to love it.

So now having arrived at the 20th/21st century, I sincerely believe that we now have a new genre, known as Film Scores. Like the 1800s where they had incidental music to plays in particular, we now have incidental music to film scores. In fact, I think you would agree with me that the origins of Film Scores back in the day was similar to the Incidental Music for plays in that it provides a background and sets the mood for what is taking on the screen.

Absolutely. :rolleyes:

Look it's as simple as this.

The Beatles use a few guitars, vocals and a drum set.

So did Nirvana.

But if you love The Beatles it doesn't automatically mean that you love Nirvana.

Also, tony, your example of Basic Instinct is poor, since you cited a romantic love scene, Basic Instinct is in it's very nature not about romance.

ya bad example true.

i probably was unclear in my argument. I was not arguing that you have to like both classical music and film scores, rather I was arguing that film scoring should be a subgenre of classical music. With this, it is true that there are pop songs often in film scores and in fact, even some rap in contemporary operas (read Grammophone). But like with classical music, there is always a fine line between Art Music (ex. Tchaikovsky) and Popular Music (ex. Strauss Jr).

For someone who is into film scores, I would strongly recommend Scheherezade, by Rimsky-Korsakov. It is programatic music at its best.

If you like film scores, you are going to love it.

What an amazing piece! The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra came to FL on the 15th and performed this piece, along with the Saint-Saens B minor Violin Concerto and Berlioz's Roman Carnival Overture. My university was able to get free tickets for students, and they actually turned out to be box seats! It was a great program, and I loved Scheherezade.

When you want to hear film-music-like classical pieces, you have to give this a listen:

"Music for a scene from Shelley" by Samuel Barber... this is just an incredible piece.

I believe it is on neither of them. Delerue recorded it for the London Session. It is available on the Varese Great Composers: Georges Delerue 2 CD set. It is the set that got me into Delerue, a magnificent collection, including the unused suite from Platoon and a suite from the rejected Something Wicked This Way Comes, among many other phenominal cues.