3. Louis Prima: Let’s Fly with Mary Poppins

4. Danceannette – NOT PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE

5. Mickey Mouse Disco

6. Echoes of Disneyland – NOT PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE

7. Saludos Amigos – NOT PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE

8. Babes In Toyland

9. Stan Jones: Ghost Riders In the Sky – NOT PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE

10. Tinpanorama

As before, all masters have been transferred and restored at 24bit / 96kHz.

Now before someone cries foul, I will explain the status of “The Black Hole Soundtrack”. Though this was the first digitally recorded soundtrack, the digital technology of 1979 is not compatible with digital technology of today (or even 1982 when CD’s were introduced). This soundtrack was recorded with 4bit resolution at 32kHz sampling, thus making a pure digital release not only impossible, but any attempt to upsample or convert them would result in a recording far worse than the analog conversion that was done at the time. The reason it has taken me so long to get this soundtrack re-released is that I wanted to make absolutely sure that there was no way I could use the original digital recordings. I also couldn’t include more of John Barry’s score than was originally released – as the album, as it stands, is all that was legally cleared for release. I did, however, hunt down the original analog transfer from 1979, digitally transferred and restored at 24/96 and re-created the album’s original content. I know some of you more ‘passionate’ will still be disappointed, but there is nothing more anyone could do. Still, even at the iTunes 128kbs compression, the album has never sounded better!

This is great news, as far as I'm concerned. Obviously a CD release would be preferabble, but this is better than nothing. (I have the LP, but haven't figured out how to transfer it to my comp yet. :wave:)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news, as far as I'm concerned. Obviously a CD release would be preferabble, but this is better than nothing. (I have the LP, but haven't figured out how to transfer it to my comp yet. :wave:)

There is a very good quality boot of The Black Hole/Howard the duck - the LP transfer for the Black Hole section is one of the best I've come across.....and I will stick with that until iTunes persuades me otherwise.....

Mickey Mouse Disco - that's another matter! Had this album as a kid......nostalgia will reign supreme....

Well it's a start. I've noticed there are some out of print albums available thru iTunes that I don't have so maybe I'll grab some.

I wish this were a CD release too. I remember really enjoying The Black Hole lp. The opening two tracks (Overture and Main Title) are excellent. Also I really enjoyed the long track on side 2 of the vinyl. I think it was called Into the Black Hole, but I'm not sure. It had some truly magical John Barry "space music". Barry has written some of the most powerful music depicting space. His deep low-end strings give the impression of vastness, while the slightly chromatic harmonic language adds the necessary feeling of awe and spectacle. His space music from You Only Live Twice is particularly memorable.

His space music from Moonraker is even better, though the sound quality on the CD lacks stereo separation.

Even if this thing is released on Dutch iTunes, I'm not gonna bother with it I think.

The soundquality will be mediocre, the files will be hard to manage due to the DRM restrictions and I already have the bootleg anyway.

Good golly The Black Hole was a terrible film. It reminded me a lot of Disney's Mysterious Island only much worse. I recall having liked the score at the time, I'll have to listen to the samples at iTunes to see if I want to pick any of them up. Will it be up this week?

I can't believe there are people out there willing to accept 128k compress files. No thank you.

I dunno gents do you think this maybe a sign that a CD's are slowly coming to an end and that digital downloads are going to be the way of the future?

I for one hope not...I mean if digital downloads are the way of the future I hope they at least at some point make the downloads high bitrates.

I can't believe there are people out there willing to accept 128k compress files. No thank you.

I just bought "The Classic Film Scores of Franz Waxman" for £6.32 on iTunes. It would cost at least five times that to buy a pressed CD, since it's out of print. While the download version is obviously not perfect, I'm not about to spend £30 on one CD. It's no full substitute for an original copy, but I for one am glad that there's a way to get that album, without paying a silly price to some eBay seller.

Disney made a film called Mysterious Island?

Yup, I am pretty sure that Disney was involved. It was based on the Jules Verne story of the same name.

Have a look at this.

Your links not working.

The only one I could think of is the Ray Harryhausen film scored by Bernard Herrmann. Disney was not invlved in any way with it, it was a Columbia film and it's a pretty good one as well.

There was a made for TV movie with Patrick Stewart.

I love both The Black Hole movie and score. Many old-school posters know that Black Hole the movie and John Barry's score got me into Star Wars and John Williams' score... then ALL of his scores.

I hate iTunes... how else can I aquire this?

It's available on LP and bootleg CD, or you could just trade for the iTunes files...

The only legal ways to own it are buying the LP or the tracks from iTunes.

It's available on LP and bootleg CD, or you could just trade for the iTunes files...

The only legal ways to own it are buying the LP or the tracks from iTunes.

Yes, I got the Lp back in '78. I also have the boot and from that, made the expanded bootleg from the DVD. Stefan said it was one of my best. :) Back when he liked me. :)

How is the quality in the iTunes tracks? If it is no better than the LP and boot, then I may have to wait. I'm still hoping we'll see it on CD some day.

How is the quality in the iTunes tracks? If it is no better than the LP and boot, then I may have to wait.
It's supposedly remastered, but then it's also converted down to 128kbps, so it probably balances out.

If you're happy with the LP, I see no reason to up/down-grade to the iTunes version.

I'm still hoping we'll see it on CD some day.

You're not the only one... :)

I think the soundquality of the release on Mask Records (together with Howard the Duck) is excellent, so I'm not waiting for a new release. It would be nice to have more tracks though.