And The Winner Of The Golden Globe For Best Score Is....

King Mark

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Alexandre Desplat. Very pleasant surprise, I was sure Santoallalla was a shoe-in. It was quite ridicules, even in the 3 seconds it took them to read out the Santoallalla's name, the music playing over it was music he wrote 11 years ago for another project.

I'm very happy for Desplat. Haven't heard this score yet, but he's certainly a deserving composer.

:angry:

Who cares who won,as long as he lost

K.M.

I find this post a very, very, sad comment on the state of film music fandom 'round these parts.

LOL Alexandre Desplat totally deserved this. I'm so freaking glad Zimmer didn't get it, just because he scored a huge movie.

Desplat is definitely a talent, I usually like his scores, especially Girl With a Pearl Earring and Birth. He's had a big year with The Queen and The Painted Veil.

Their nominations sucked, but at least they picked the right one.

Morlock,don't pull that I'm a fancy artsy film watcher of more discriminate tastes crap. I probably watch as many movies as you do.I just don't hear any music worth listening to as a standalone experience anymore.

Morlock,don't pull that I'm a fancy artsy film watcher of more discriminate tastes crap. I probably watch as many movies as you do.I just don't hear any music worth listening to as a standalone experience anymore.

Well, I personally do, and I will be just as gleefull in defending current film music as you will be in attacking it. I think that's a fair deal, you anyway would appear to have more supporters than I would.

Sorry,I didn't want to sound rude morlock

anyways,as a Williams fan I am still outraged at last years Oscars,and don't ever want to see Santaolala's face on stage again.

K.M.

Desplat's orchestrations may be fresh, but his music strikes me as cold. Supposedly, at least in some circles, that means I have no ear for subtlety. Even if that were so, I don't subscribe to the notion that subtlety is automatically a virtue or necessarily its own reward.

I completely forgot that he was nominated, so I don't feel much of anything give his loss. I haven't heard Desplat's score either. I really don't get all that excited about the Golden Globes, and last year, when Williams won, was the first time in a long time that I even watched the broadcast. There were tons of scores I would rather have had nominated, but I look forward to the Oscars. We'll be hearing their nomination next Tuesday, I believe.

Tim

Not sure when Oscar Noms are out - but I'll take your word for it....

Incidentally - Desplat (boy - I wish he would change his name by deed poll) is also nominated for BAFTA for TheQueen....I wonder how many people have won Golden Globe, BAFTA and an Oscar in the same year for the same score.....?

Eventually, I 'll actually get around to hearing his score to The Queen. I've heard good things about it.

Tim

Yes indeed. I'm listening to it at this very moment, and I'm loving it more and more with every listen.

I still Iñaritu (sp?) is an awfully overrated filmmaker.

I've only seen his last two films. 21 Grams I didn't like at all, but I did like Babel a great deal.

This year is mirroring last years award season, except instead of John Williams we have Alexandre Desplat.

Last Year: John Williams- MoaG, Munich; two highly acclaimed scores, only MoaG gets nominated, and wins the Golden Globe.

This Year: Alexandre Desplat- The Painted Veil, The Queen; two highly acclaimed scores, only The Painted Veil gets and nominated and ultimately wins.

In the mean time for both years: Gustavo Santoallala scores the Golden Globe for best picture both years, but ultimately loses the Golden Globe himself.

We'll see if this could possibly mean anything for Oscar predictions when the nominations are released.

anyways,as a Williams fan I am still outraged at last years Oscars,and don't ever want to see Santaolala's face on stage again.

K.M.

Well, I'm still outraged, too, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't ever wanna see him again, on stage or anywhere. He's a (relatively) new composer who got a big break last year, and I'm happy for him, but the feeling of outrage that that happened at the expense of one of John Williams most brilliant scores overshadows everything. John Williams should have won last year, there's no question about that. The fact that he didn't is a testament once again to the Academy's advancing senility.

K.M.

Well, I'm still outraged, too, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't ever wanna see him again, on stage or anywhere. He's a (relatively) new composer who got a big break last year, and I'm happy for him, but the feeling of outrage that that happened at the expense of one of John Williams most brilliant scores overshadows everything. John Williams should have won last year, there's no question about that. The fact that he didn't is a testament once again to the Academy's advancing senility.

The acadamy really should have realized that 3:00 out of 7:00 of the BM score are based off of James Horner's Apollo 13, and disqualified it. That irks me even more then the JW loss.

The fact that he didn't is a testament once again to the Academy's advancing senility.

That, and the whole wave of political "correctness".

Brokeback won in nearly every category for pretty much no reason other than the fact that it is gay (in more than one meaning of the word).

You know, so many people are upset with Brokeback Mountain because of the apparent "polical correctness" that they start hating on the movie for reasons unbeknownst to them, perhaps because it is in vogue to do so. Aside from the score, did you ever stop to think that the movie won awards because it was a good movie? Because it was deserving? The Academy can seem to have an agenda, but it's no different than most years, and that shouldn't take away from the fact that many people loved the movie, that it was well directed, well acted, well written, and well photographed. I don't think it was the best film of the year, and some of the dialogue was a bit saccharine, but it was still a good film.

Tim

You know, so many people are upset with Brokeback Mountain because of the apparent "polical correctness" that they start hating on the movie for reasons unbeknownst to them, perhaps because it is in vogue to do so. Aside from the score, did you ever stop to think that the movie won awards because it was a good movie? Because it was deserving?

It was bollocks.

It was the cinematic equivalent of a wet fart.

You know - one of those real wet ones where you're not sure if you've just accidentally let something slip.

Greg - who survived it twice.

You know, so many people are upset with Brokeback Mountain because of the apparent "polical correctness" that they start hating on the movie for reasons unbeknownst to them, perhaps because it is in vogue to do so. Aside from the score, did you ever stop to think that the movie won awards because it was a good movie? Because it was deserving? The Academy can seem to have an agenda, but it's no different than most years, and that shouldn't take away from the fact that many people loved the movie, that it was well directed, well acted, well written, and well photographed. I don't think it was the best film of the year, and some of the dialogue was a bit saccharine, but it was still a good film.

Tim

I can't judge on that, because I haven't seen the film. And I'm sure it achieved well in other aspects.

But not only did what I hear from the score strike me as particularly lacking, I found it rather suspicious that the Best Score Oscar was awarded to Gustavo Santaolalla by... Salma Hayek.

I'm very glad (and a bit surprised) that Desplat won the award. They actually gave the award to the best score this time. :rolleyes:

Rabbit--who half expected Santaolalla to win.

So, did anyone like the score to Babel? I, too, share King Mark's blatent disliking of anything Gustavo, but I mean, Babel, do people honestly like that score? I mean... seriously anyone? Do you listen to it in your car? Hum it as you walk about? Or am I right in thinking that it is possibly the worst score ever written?

:ola:

Who cares who won,as long as he lost

K.M.

You seem to take this whole Santaollala business very seriously. :rolleyes:

The Internet is serious business.

And so are awards for Best Score. :P

fsb

So, did anyone like the score to Babel? I, too, share King Mark's blatent disliking of anything Gustavo, but I mean, Babel, do people honestly like that score? I mean... seriously anyone? Do you listen to it in your car? Hum it as you walk about? Or am I right in thinking that it is possibly the worst score ever written?

I didn't. Its just some guitar with some Middle Eastern choir and a couple appearances by the string section. Nothing special.

The fact that he didn't is a testament once again to the Academy's advancing senility.

That, and the whole wave of political "correctness".

Brokeback won in nearly every category for pretty much no reason other than the fact that it is gay (in more than one meaning of the word).

Actually, it won 3 oscars.

Tim

I do not think it was deserving, and I do think a big deal was made out of it only because it was the gay cowboy movie. It was not a bad movie, but it was not particularly good. A simple love story, blown entirely out of proportion because it was a gay one. On the other hand, it also probably didn't win because it was the gay movie. While the Acadamy may fancy itself liberal enough to nominate it, they could not bring themselves to vote for the gay topic, which probably made them uncomfortable, and went instead to Crash, which would be a rather predictable choice if it weren't for the buzz.

I didn't. Its just some guitar with some Middle Eastern choir and a couple appearances by the string section. Nothing special.

It did have a couple of noticable cues, but those were written by Santoallalla for a different project in 1995, and Ryuchi Sakamoto a few years back.

But not only did what I hear from the score strike me as particularly lacking, I found it rather suspicious that the Best Score Oscar was awarded to Gustavo Santaolalla by... Salma Hayek.

As soon as she walked out on stage, I think most of us knew who was going to win. My heart sank before she even announced the winner. I think the film deserved it's other accolades, as aforementioned, but the score was unworthy of even a nomination. I'm sure 99% of score-o-philes can agree on that one (which makes it that much more unlikely that it won based on its own merits). I was simply saying that despite this one extremely egregious win for Best Score, people tend to hate the entire film based on that alone, little realizing that the movie is actually good (in my opinion).

I bet a lot of people who aren’t as ardently fanatic as we are about Williams, are tired of him getting nominated so much, but last year he really deserved it. I believe it was the clear winner, and none of the other scores even came close. As a matter-o-fact, it was almost laughable how much better Memoirs of a Geisha was than all the others. I'm just saying that folks should take it out on the Academy, not the film or the filmmakers.

Tim

The whole BB Mountain and Giesha thing was almost a year ago, time to move on to more important things. It's just a film score. Yes I was disappointed for about 5 mins but then I got over it. I don't wish Santaolalla any ill will, it's not his fault and he seems like a nice guy.

I have been disappointed since then (I really think it was BM which should get cinematography Oscar while MOAG the one for the music). :rolleyes: However I got used to JW loosing. Besides, the music Santaolalla did for BM was really effective on screen. Many people cannot whistle the theme, but remember they liked the music there. With the company of fantastic cinematography this tender guitar melody really shined. On the other hand, the music in MOAG was so unified with the picture, that many people didn't even pay attention to it. Sad, but true. When compared, the music from BM cannot match MOAG and didn't deserve to win, however it is not like Santaolalla is useless as an artist, nor he should be taken away from scoring movies.

As soon as she walked out on stage, I think most of us knew who was going to win. My heart sank before she even announced the winner.

As soon as she walked out on stage, I completely forgot who was nominated.

as a Williams fan I am still outraged at last years Oscars,and don't ever want to see Santaolala's face on stage again.

Had the board not gone overboard and nominated TWO Williams scores he probably would have won. Instead, they split the votes enough to cheat him.

As soon as she walked out on stage, I think most of us knew who was going to win. My heart sank before she even announced the winner.

As soon as she walked out on stage, I completely forgot who was nominated.

And the nominees are....Chesty LaRue, Busty St. Clair, Hootie McBoob and Gustavo Santaolalla...and the winner is....

I thought that The Illusionist was pretty good. Plus it had a great score by Philip Glass.

Hey,why aren't you Stefancos anymore?

you see,my post quoted a thread I just read but not replied.BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG

K.M.

I thought that The Illusionist was pretty good. Plus it had a great score by Philip Glass.

Hey,why aren't you Stefancos anymore?

you see,my post quoted a thread I just read but not replied.BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG

K.M.

If you press the "quote" button, it will automatically store that post and put it in your next reply box. You have to use the full reply thing for it. Not quick reply. It's not a bug.