James Newton Howard thread

nightscape94

16 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

No official source given, so take it with a grain of salt.

Considering JNH scored 'Salt' which starred Jolie, who played Tomb Raider; I think we should all take it with a grain of salt. 

On 13-3-2017 at 11:12 PM, BloodBoal said:

James Newton Howard will be the composer of the next Tomb Raider movie

No official source given, so take it with a grain of salt.

This post from Filmtracks sums up my opinion to a T:

Would be awesome, although I hope they don't go all "DARKNESS! NO PARRREEEENTS" and cause Howard to go full generic thriller mode. If the reboot channels some adventurous flair and fantasy as a film, Howard would do great. 

The guy even included a reference to The LEGO Movie's "Batman Song", like I might have done myself!

I'm impressed. :lol:

6 hours ago, Miz said:

Any news about a release of his violin concerto?

Yeah I thought it was going to be released along with 'I Would Plant a Tree.'

I think I have the audio somewhere, from the concert where it was premiered.

• 1 month later...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1632733436740972&id=1365559120125073&fs=1 

JNH's new video blog. He discusses the premiere of his suite for Fantastic Beasts at a Czeck film festival and then he plays a couple of themes from the film on piano. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I agree with JNH that this is one of his strongest scores in terms of themes!  I hope the premiere of the suite is filmed and uploaded to Youtube :D 

He'll no doubt be doing it on his European Concert tour, so if there isn't a video from this, then surely someone will upload something from somewhere on his tour. 

The Healing theme is one of those themes which feels too simple in its construction, yet is really memorable (compare it to Tyler's Power Rangers theme which is also simple, but IMO dull as ditchwater).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Article says the movie was pushed back 6 months to December. So a summer movie into a Christmas movie? That's a huge deal marketing-wise, surely.

So I guess it's a scheduling thing.

Boooo! And boooo! And also boooo!!!

Scheduling conflict with what other film that James Newton Howard is scorong, then?

After Fantastic Breasts last year, I'm really looking forward to another fun fantasy adventure score from JNH.

He doesn't always live up to it, but when he's good, he's pretty great! And that happens more often than not.

Jackman hasn't impressed me yet.

Can't even be bothered to try out his Kong.

Jackman is mostly awful. JNH would have been the only saving aspect of the film, but now it has nothing going for it.

JNH clearly had to back out because he's touring Europe in a few months, and scoring many films over the next year, some of which are hugely time consuming, like The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, which he said he has already started writing. Also 'Inner City' with Denzel, 'Detroit' for Kathryn Bigelow, 'Red Sparrow' with Jennifer Lawrence and of course Fantastic Beasts 2.

I quite like small pieces of Jackman's Kong score, but that's as good as I feel about any of his: pretty good at times but mostly boring as hell.

I like this cue quite a bit:

• 3 weeks later...

In what way? Do you mean in his answers to the students towards the end? I didn't really think he was being flippant himself so much as he was just trying to be encouraging and demystify it for them. Pointing out that there are broadly reliable concepts and techniques that are relatively easy to understand and apply, not to be too intimidated by the size of the orchestra or discouraged by their inexperience with an instrument to start learning.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, you can forget that.

Junkie XL to Score ‘Tomb Raider’ Reboot

Holken the Borg is taking over!

He is apparently scoring also the Dark Tower film.

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

JNH has better choices to score. Like great looking crime dramas and lush melodic films like Nutcracker. No doubt he wouldn't be inspired working on Tomb Raider.

Didn't you say the opposite about Fantastic Beasts?

So with JNH not scoring two films with the potential for fun adventure, what IS he still scoring that offers the prospect of enjoyable music?

Sounds like I'll have to wait for the next Fantastic Beats. Bit of a shame as I had hoped for something good from him this year as well...

In the interview posted earlier, he said the Nutcracker movie he's doing will mostly be an original fantasy score with nods to Tchaikovsky. Could be fun, although that's next year as well.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I'd not yet gotten out of bed when I posted that at half past 8.  A rare leisurely morning today, and being a bit of a twat on JWFan is the right way to start!